SL R230 front number plate holder

18ME

Reaction score
Website
www.broadwaycookshop.co.uk
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Just changing the plates over on the car and had an initial problem of getting the screws out of the original plates so had a little search on here regarding the rear screws being stainless and the part where they screw in being aluminium so carefully got the right size bit and managed to carefully get them out which I was very pleased and relieved that they didn't break, so rear plate now off. The front plate is a different matter, as the screws were quite rusted so normal steel I assume and one of the heads as broken off but managed to get the remaining three out without any problem but the same screws that were holding the plate on were also holding the front plate holder to the bumper. I don't want to drill the plates as I hate seeing screw holes in plates preferring to use sticky tabs to hold the plate so the question is do I use the original screws to secure the holder back on and then sticky tab the plate to the holder? If I do this method the plate will protrude a little as its going over the screws holding the plate holder. Any other methods?

OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Thanks for the quick reply. Had you just come back from a multi continent trip with all those bugs on the front?

Did you screw the plate holder back to the bumper then stick or screw the chrome surround to the plate holder?

Ha.....I was still in France

I do not remember exactly what I did but I suspect that I fixed the plate holder and the ''backing section'' back as one thereby avoiding the need for additional holes in the car.......I would have used new screws simply as a matter of good practise.

Mic

OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
I think I've just worked out how they are fitted now after looking on ebay.

There is a backing plate behind the (chrome in your case) holder that you screw to the number plate holder on the car, then the chrome part folds down and clips the number plate in place. Correct?

OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Who are SVS?

The chrome look good on a silver car but may look a bit too bling on a black car so may look for some plain black or carbon ones.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Some 230's have the moulded number plate holders on the front bumper like the one holding Mics plate or like mine, this is screwed to the plastic bumper and you can get the holders free from some MB dealers with the plate just clips in. Halfords do a chrome version £20

Attachments

• Picture 500.jpg
    Picture 500.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 501.jpg
    Picture 501.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 68

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I think I've just worked out how they are fitted now after looking on ebay.

There is a backing plate behind the (chrome in your case) holder that you screw to the number plate holder on the car, then the chrome part folds down and clips the number plate in place. Correct?

Correct

Mic

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
My Vantage had the horrible mounting plate that everyone removes. Problem is the slight curve and less than number plate height of the panel you are left with and 2 out of every 3 using double sided sticky I have seen had the plate coming away to some degree.

There were the two holes anyway from the plinth so I drilled the plate & used a couple of chrome mirror screws with chrome domes (which I painted with lacquer - 6 months later still not a mark) - look much better than ordinary screws

OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 33

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
From these pictures would you suggest the easiest thing for me to do is buy a pair of plate holders like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c30ee6a3f

Be careful of those they are cheap plastic and can be hard to get the plate to clip in properly (my mum bought them)

I went for these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa4acf0ce

They are OEM holders and have the correct holes to mount straight on to the car, I onlt put the rear one on and drilled 2 holes in the front plate and fixed it straight to the mount on the bumper as it looks smoother.

SouthHams-20120531-00072.jpg

Last edited:
OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Be careful of those they are cheap plastic and can be hard to get the plate to clip in properly (my mum bought them)

I went for these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa4acf0ce

They are OEM holders and have the correct holes to mount straight on to the car, I onlt put the rear one on and drilled 2 holes in the front plate and fixed it straight to the mount on the bumper as it looks smoother.

SouthHams-20120531-00072.jpg

Thanks for the advise. I'll do a little research before I order any.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks for the advise. I'll do a little research before I order any.

No problem, from the look of your photos the front plate "mount" was held on to the bumper using the number plate screws at the top.

The 4 bolt holes at the rear are for mounting the plate holder to, it is a 6mm close thread bolt (IIRC) so you would mount the plate holder as in my photo then the plate clips into it, I can't recommend enough the company that sells the plate surround I bought, they are, as their name implies "Awesome".

I agree with your statement that sticky pads give a "cleaner" look but you may find as I did that the curve on the front plate means you have to screw it on.

My front plate
SouthHams-20130325-00167_zps6743f3cc.jpg

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My CL has a curve and I just warmed it up with the hot air gun and bent it to the shape, then it sticks on easily with the pads.

DSC00769.jpg

kls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl
Hi.......do you still use your nokia car phone?........if not could I buy it off you?........thanks

OP

18ME

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Hi.......do you still use your nokia car phone?........if not could I buy it off you?........thanks

Not sure yet whether to get the bluetooth module but if I do I'll probably keep the Nokia phone as well so that I can put it back in when I sell the car, sorry.

SearchEngineGroup

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Re: television's SL Photos

Hi Malcolm, Where can I get those number plate holders you have please? My sensors are going nuts and the number plate keeps coming off on one side... I have an R230 2010.

Thanks - any help would be appreciated :)

Some 230's have the moulded number plate holders on the front bumper like the one holding Mics plate or like mine, this is screwed to the plastic bumper and you can get the holders free from some MB dealers with the plate just clips in. Halfords do a chrome version £20

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, Where can I get those number plate holders you have please? My sensors are going nuts and the number plate keeps coming off on one side... I have an R230 2010.

Thanks - any help would be appreciated :)

Do have a word with your local dealer, they were giving the ones where the front unclips as they no longer use them free.

I hate screws, on Ebay or from Halfords you can buy the new sticky pads, the picture of my car above has sticky pads. Where the bumper has a slight curve I heat the plate up and bend it to the contour of the bumper, this aids the sticky pads and the plate will stay in place. This weather its too cold to get a good adhesion with pads and I heat the plate up with a hairdryer/heat gun and press it firmly on.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom