Can I take fitted tyres back?

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
If the tyres fitted were not what I asked for? :confused:

What would be my consumer rights as these tyres have now been used?

I was given 'run flat' tyres and was not told they were 'run flat' tyres.

The general consensus is that this style of tyre isn't very good and ideally suited to cars that can monitor sudden drop in tyre pressure.

(Sorry to repeat myself 'Run Flat Tyres' thread)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Just ask the fitter. I'm sure they will refuse.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

N

npuk

I would go back and explain that they are not what you ordered and your car doesnt have a TPM function. Many sites say run flats should not be fitted to older cars with no TPM.

How did you order them online?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Over the phone order. Delivered to garage for 11am next day.

I queried why the the tyres were Dunlop Sport SP 01A's and not just 01's?

Incredibly, he said he didn't know and said they were probably the 'improved' version.

I thought this was ok as my motorcycle tyres are Dunlop Roadsmart 2's

And yes, the fact my car does not have TPM is a concern for me.

N

npuk

Who did you orders the tyres from? Another company who delivered them direct to the garage for fitment or did you order them from the garage itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Who did you orders the tyres from? Another company who delivered them direct to the garage for fitment or did you order them from the garage itself?

I contacted the tyre fitting garage (they just do tyres, not any of the big fitters) who then I assume rang his supplier/warehouse.

I should also mention that a few weeks earlier I had the non run flats fitted to the rears at Kwik Fit.
I was able to ring around for a much cheaper price, hence the local tyre fitters.

Kwik Fit - £129 @ (or £108 @ on line which was the price of my rear tyres)

Local garage - £90 @ fitted.

No brainer really. If they were the correct tyres

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
I would of thought yes but I wouldn't be surprised if it falls into a slightly grey area/could become protracted in that they could argue you had time to inspect and spot the error before driving away and it's your word against theirs regarding the 'what does the A suffix mean' etc

I would go back and see what their take is... assuming they don't put their hands up point out the various issues like for example the stuff about TPMS- as said pretty much every tyre manufacturer and many tyre fitters state that run flats must be used with TPMS because they're rated for something like 50mph for 50 miles after deflation and pressure loss is far less obvious due to their construction. I wouldn't be surprised if they would have an issue with supplying/fitting tyres of a lower speed rating and the TPMS thing is kinda along the same lines except your insurance might be more bothered about runflats than they would be about speed ratings (within the UK speed limits). The tricky bit about insurance is that the telesales muppets are useless if it's not on their script

Personally i'd have a trawl through the Sale of Goods act before hand and if they won't play ball go see the citizens advice bureau

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I think if they gave you the wrong product then they should take them back but I also think you may be at the mercy of the particular garage here.

Also check if you paid for them with a credit card - you may get some help there if they refuse to change them.

At the end of the day just go in and calmly explain the issue and the facts .... Let us know how they react.

==========================

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Yep, I'll post the outcome as soon as I know.

I'm away for a few days up norf so won't be till Weds Thurs.

Regards

Kyle

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
They will be able to charge you for the mileage you have put on the tyres...The other problem that you will have is that the runflats are almost twice as expensive as the ones they should have fitted...
But a decent tyre fitting operation would never mix run flats and ordinary tyres

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
Am I wrong on my train of thought ?

Run flat tyres will not destroy themselves in the event of a puncture.
Non- RF tyres might.

I think the OP has a benefit and doesn't realise it.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The op has a definite benefit, should he ever get a puncture, but it is also possible if he gets a puncture he may have to replace the tyre, and he has to replace with a 'more' expensive run flat..
He could also have issues with insurance in the event of a claim as he is running run flats on one axle and non run flats on another axle

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Run flats and non run flats should never be mixed even if you match othe same axle.

The side wall on a run flat is incredibly thick (so it can do its job when flat). The suspension for cars designed for run flats is softer. Consequently, a car not meant to have RF's will not have the correct suspension set up and the handling will not be to the recommended parameters. (It would be fair to assume that any change would not be an improvement).

Bottom line is that even if you ordered RF's a competent tyreshop would not have mixed.

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
Without the tpm function you would not know when run flats were running flat. I think I'm correct in ssying that speed if limited when running flat, how would you know you had flst tyres.

This situation sounds potentially very dangerous to me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I think that article says it all really... Good find..

==========================

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is the first time that this has come up, I do not know much about them other than there always loads for sale as the BMW drivers hate the harder ride.

I am sure that someone mentioned special wheels once for run flats

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I have had a look at the lettering on the side walls of tyres, there is nothing on them that would suggest they ARE run flats except the letter A after the "Sport 01"

I could see how a mistake could be made fitting run flats in this instance.

If the tyre garage's supplier sent them, the fitter would assume they were non run flats.

I'm away on hols at the moment so can't get this resolved until later in the week.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Would I be right in thinking that each tyre is available in 'run flat' and normal run version tyre?

I'm getting quite confused trawling through all the info on tyres :confused:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom