12 GALLS OF DIESEL IN MY CHERISHED PETROL ROCKET SHIP.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Hello everyone, If you are a petrol head or a diesel head as i am and you look after your cars as much as your wife, then if you fill the tank to the brim with the wrong fuel then this creates much weeping and nashing of teeth.
Basically mk mk4 toyota supra with it's 370 bhp, (my rocket ship), which i have owned from new in 1996, now 40K miles on the clock. I took it to the filling station and put 12 galls of fuel in it, like i have done for 16 years, but when i tried to start the engine on a buisy forecourt there was nothing, despite much cranking, some out of embarassment.
So i checked all the usual things, immobiliser, plug leads, vac pipes etc.after 30 mins phoned the wife to come and tow me in. Whilst i was waiting the petrol station attendant came over and asked if i was having problems ? she with a smile on her face asked me was my sports car a diesel. ? i resisted saying are you kidding ? she then said you just put 12 galls of diesel in your car. ! I froze and then looked at my receipt, yes i had, what a pillock.

So i pumped all the diesel out, or at least 11 galls, this fuel was destined for my merc. td. i then bled off the fuel rail and the fuel filter, i then added a litre of "redex" fuel cleaner and then 5 galls of petrol. Then started cranking for 4 or 5 mins, it eventually started on two cylinders and i kept cranking to build up momentum untill it sprang into life on all six cylinders, elation followed as i thought i had knackered it, there was then 5 mins of dense smoke and then the sun came out, a perfect tickover and the usual performance on a trip around the block.
I will now run her for a couple of weeks and then replace the spark plugs, the fuel filter and the engine oil.
So be carefull when you fill up, it's not nice and unless you can resolve the problem yourself it is costly, the fuel call out boys charge £200 and you lose your fuel, so circa £300. My car has the competition fuel filler so the hole takes the diesel nozle easy, this is not the case on petrol cars less than 10 yrs old as they have the foolproof hole size which will not take the large diameter diesel fuel filling nozle, all be it you can still get the diesel in there if you hold the nozle back a bit and just dislodge the sprung flap at the base of the aperture.
So take care, don't do what i did, and take filling up as a non brainer operation, and be nice to your wife if she does it for you. lol. herbiemercman.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25020&stc=1&d=1391637141

Attachments

• SUPRA GOOD PICT..jpg
    SUPRA GOOD PICT..jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
All's well that ends well then ...... ;)

It's a lot easier to put petrol into a diseasal car ....... apparently! :Oops::Oops: (but like you I sorted it myself for minimal cost ;))

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have yet to own a diesel Herbie,,, the only diesel I have ever had was a tipper, and I had a tank of diesel in the garden.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
12 whole gallons takes ages to stick in the tank and at no point did you not look at the pump handle and wonder why it wasnt green ?? :p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car should run when hot on a 50/50 mix, when the fuel rationing was in place many years ago I emptied some road works paraffin lamps into my tank,,, the white smoke was unbelievable.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
All's well that ends well then ...... ;)

It's a lot easier to put petrol into a diseasal car ....... apparently! :Oops::Oops: (but like you I sorted it myself for minimal cost ;))

I got that T shirt a few years back!!!!!

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
wrong fuel

In some ways youre lucky if it was a car with a catalyic convertor especially ones straight behind the manifold itd more than likely have destroyed it

petrol in a diesel can be major engine failure due to lack of fuel lubricity

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Lucky, Lucky Lucky...

mk4 toyota supra with it's 370 bhp, (my rocket ship)... ....12 galls of diesel...
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25020&stc=1&d=1391637141

WOW!

You are incredibly lucky to have survived this - congratulations!
- I read about a Beemer driver (well his wife actually) who did it the other way (petrol in a diesel) and it immediately blew £5K's worth of engine!
- I think you should go and buy a lottery ticket or something while your luck's in!
- But remember I told you when it comes up heh heh!

Last edited:

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
My neighbour's wife did the same thing, but different. She necked the diesel Vectra with petrol. That morning I awoke to a strange smell of petrol in the house and when I went outside, there he was using the car's fuel pump and a disconnected pipe to squirt petrol into a 5 litre plastic bucket which was being tipped into a 50 litre drum. Needless to say there was petrol everywhere and about ten litres of it sloshing around on the tarmac NEXT TO MY BLODDY DRIVEWAY! He made sure he wasn't doing this in his own territory.

Eventually, the battery gave out and he brought his wife's Fiesta over to help the Vectra out with jumper cables. As I stood asking him what the fkn hell he was doing, he attached the cables from a running car to a dead one. (Don't forget the large pool of petrol on the floor) Sparks flew and I ran like hell. Luckily nothing happened.

When I ventured back to ask hime to move the whole lot away from my house, I got laughed at for being chicken. I mentioned that we were lucky not be fried chicken when I noticed the pool of petrol running under the Fiesta. I asked if he knew what temperature the cat was running at and he proudly said... "Several hundred degrees, I think". I put the hot cat and loose petrol together in his tiny brain as his wife came around the corner and before he did, she screamed as we all bolted once again. He eventually bullied his wife into moving the Fiesta as I was calling Fire and Rescue. The big red lorry came along with a couple of cops and it all came to a conclusion.

Reporting back, the Cops said the guy hadn't a clue and had just done what his mate had told him to do, including "Don't do this on your own driveway". The tarmac outside my house dissolved and created a hell of a mess. His Vectra is once again on the road and I have resolved never to go near him again if he looks like he's in charge of a car.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Love thy neighbour?

My neighbour's wife did the same thing, but different... ...large pool of petrol...Sparks...
.....I have resolved never to go near him again if he looks like he's in charge of a car.

Hmm. The second frightener is the bare fact that people like this are legally allowed on the road in charge of a lethal ton or so of motor vehicle.
- Look around with great care- they're everywhere... there's probably one near you NOW!

exjagman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
59 E350 cdi avantgarde luxury pack.command.ILS.Tanzanite blue beige leather
1ltr of petrol can give off 2000ltrs of vapour(the exploding bit)and is heavier than air so hang around near the ground.
When I ran petrol stations I saw pictures of a site that had gone up in flames due to a "Happy Camper" leaving a pilot light on on the fridge.
You could see the canopy dripping molten metal onto the forecourt with the heat.

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
ADR

1ltr of petrol can give off 2000ltrs of vapour(the exploding bit)and is heavier than air so hang around near the ground.
When I ran petrol stations I saw pictures of a site that had gone up in flames due to a "Happy Camper" leaving a pilot light on on the fridge.
You could see the canopy dripping molten metal onto the forecourt with the heat.

As part of Hazardous goods training for road transport in tankers we were shown a video of a rail tanker exploding due to a "BLEVE" similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0jtD_OWLU

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Hmm. The second frightener is the bare fact that people like this are legally allowed on the road in charge of a lethal ton or so of motor vehicle.
- Look around with great care- they're everywhere... there's probably one near you NOW!

Not necessarily. They won't be moving if they've put the wrong fuel in their tank.

I thought only blonde airheads and the senile did this sort of thing.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought only blonde airheads and the senile did this sort of thing...

Nope. They're all around you masquerading as "normal" Earthlings!

Years ago I received a Shell newsletter that they used to send out - I think it was called "Forecourt Manager" (?)... In a safety article they described how on a very cold winter's day, a forecourt attendant spilt two gallons of petrol down the front of his overalls. He then sat down in front of a 2-Bar electric fire to "dry off" !

Six or seven years ago, SWMBO worked for a few weeks taking calls from customers regarding fairy lights etc sold by supermarkets and big DIY chains.
- Some of the comments made your hair stand on end (heh heh literally!). I remember these two:
  • "The instructions say the lights are only for use indoors - but they work fine outside!"
  • "When it's raining, the lamps work okay but they make a sort of hissing noise..."
Watch out behind you!

Last edited:

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
What a gorgeous car beautiful example , all that BHP as well is it stock with that output or has it been breathed on?
I put Petrol in my 320CDI luckily I realised as soon as the Holster went back on the Pump " ooh sh*t its green " Luckily I Just pushed the car out of the way, left it overnight in the asda car park, came back next day with a jack, jerry cans, and a bucket , and the Fuel Tank Drain Spanner. Saved all the contaminated Petrol and used it in My Boat .... Holley Carb, old school 351 Cubic Inch V8 with no Cats , it couldnt tell the difference ran sweet as a nut :)
I still felt a plonker but once you admit it its amazing how many people have done it, especially if you run both petrol and diesel or have just switched .
Boyd

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
I'm on my FOURTH Mk4 now, they really are a fantastic car. Started off with the NA, but soon went to TT territory....
Is yours a UK spec since you have had it since 96? Have you removed the dildos? Cant see them.:p

Attachments

• 463.JPG
    463.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
she has all the cats removed, polished ram pipes, twin cam 24 valve, has a "autohaus wolfsburg abt tuning" ecu, it is manual and i can join the motorway in third gear at 100 mph, she is so stable at speed and if it is wet you get a massive spray vortex off the spoiler and it lights up if you have the rear lights on, it is an old mans motorcycle as this got me off the bikes, used to ride the tt in the iom.
When i get out of my 7 seater merc e-300 td est car, the family bus, and go for a blast in the supra it is exillerating, your car looks superb. you need "Big balls" to own a supra as many people think you are a show off or a hairdresser, i don't care as these cars were well ahead of their time and are now sought after all over the globe, my brother has the tt like yours and it has been to chris wilson in nantwitch, it is auto and has 520 bhp at the back wheels on the dyno. herbiemercman.

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
the WHAT???????

LOL, its Supra slang for the headlight washers, only fitted to the UK and Eurospec, but not the jap spec which there are a LOT more of :(

They are awful rubber protrusions, see below....:Oops:

Attachments

• Supra front big.JPG
    Supra front big.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello suprapaul, My car has all the cats removed and still passes the mot, but the law has changed this month as the test station now checks if the cats are actually in place. So it is another £250 to fit cat casings with the guts taken out.
I bought my car in 1996 new and my brother bought the twin turbo at the same time, we have kept them and spent mega bucks on the power units, mine has polished ram pipes, "austhaus wolfburg abg tuning ecu", etc.etc, manual box, my brother's is auto, he puts out 550 bhp had it tuned at chris wilson, in nantwitch who races these cars etc.
I have always been a biker, iom, tt etc, and this car got me off the bikes.
The aerodynamics of these cars were well ahead of their time, you can join the m/way at 100 mph in third gear, and if it's wet you can see the spray vortex lit up in red if you have the lights on, comming off the rear spoiler, many big BMW's and mercs have big bhp, but at silly speeds there is amazement when you put your foot down.
We never grow up as they say and you have to have "big balls" to own a supra, you are seen as a show off or a hairdresser, but i don't mind, it is worth it. Toyota keep threatening to bring out the mk5, but with the price tag of £85k i will just carry on enjoying what i have, a superb piece of engineering, 42,000 miles on my clock and never missed a beat. (still love my merc workhorse). herbiemercman.

Top Bottom