W211 headlight adjustment for Europe

F

foxy320

I have searched the forum to no avail but I am sure that this question must have been asked before.....
I am trying to adjust the Xenon headlights on my 55 plate E320 V6 CDi for continental motoring. I have removed a black 3" cover from the rear of the light cluster looking for a lever but can't find it. The handbook says that I should take it to a Mercedes Service centre which means that I have to drive in the UK with them dipping to the left until they can be reset!
Has anyone done it themselves who may help me?

BRP

Reaction score
I have searched the forum to no avail but I am sure that this question must have been asked before.....
I am trying to adjust the Xenon headlights on my 55 plate E320 V6 CDi for continental motoring. I have removed a black 3" cover from the rear of the light cluster looking for a lever but can't find it. The handbook says that I should take it to a Mercedes Service centre which means that I have to drive in the UK with them dipping to the left until they can be reset!
Has anyone done it themselves who may help me?
Not the same car but on my S320cdi (W221) I have attempted to have this work carried out by the dealer. There seemed to be some problem and the overall effect was to lower both beams substantially with little change to the dip beam direction if any. I got them to revert back to 'UK' setting and have 'risked' the last few trips with no problem at all. Not sure if the car having cornering lights makes the difference but they were certainly scratching their heads at Sytner. I think also that Bi Xenon lights though being really bright to drive with seem not dazzle the on coming traffic as much as conventional lights, not sure if this is the case. I previously was used to the 'altering lever' method. Hope this helps.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Remove the black cap, you have a lever both sides of the rear of the lamp, one lever moves it in one direction, and the other returns it back to it original position

With option code 211 614 there is only one lever

Last edited:
OP
F

foxy320

I removed the black cap and could not see (very difficult) or feel any levers. The black cap is fairly high up on the light cluster and is higher than the Bi Xenon unit...is this the correct black cap? Inside I can see a rectangular (connection?) block with wires in the centre of the area and not much else.

I am tempted to do as BRP suggests and, as the lights are self levelling, just to take a chance. However. I am towing a caravan and would like to get them sorted before I leave.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I removed the black cap and could not see (very difficult) or feel any levers. The black cap is fairly high up on the light cluster and is higher than the Bi Xenon unit...is this the correct black cap? Inside I can see a rectangular (connection?) block with wires in the centre of the area and not much else.

I am tempted to do as BRP suggests and, as the lights are self levelling, just to take a chance. However. I am towing a caravan and would like to get them sorted before I leave.

Through copy right reasons I cant put up a photo, when the black cap is off (Xenon) the levers are not in the center,they are more towards the outer edges of the hole but a long way in

OP
F

foxy320

Thanks Malcolm - will go and try again. Will let you know the outcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm - will go and try again. Will let you know the outcome.

The joke is that I need to alter mine in June, I know where the levers are, but no way can I get to them,its impossible, short of taking off the front bumper and loads more

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Through copy right reasons I cant put up a photo, when the black cap is off (Xenon) the levers are not in the center,they are more towards the outer edges of the hole but a long way in
There is a photo in post 9 here

OP
F

foxy320

Found them eventually. They are a long way in and feel like a light metal rather than plastic. This may be useful to others as you can't see them and have to do it all by touch. the single lever per light moves approximately 45 degrees.
Thanks again for your assistance.

BRP

Reaction score
The operation does not seem as easy as it could be. On my car the screen washer reservoir has to be removed. This sends people (unskilled) to a garage.
Previously I have just adjusted the beam myself whilst waiting in the ferry queue. I think that I have got away with it is that much of my journeys seem to be on motorways and dual carriageways. I think that I have read somewhere that the stick on black patches are not allowed in Spain.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Really? Just for Xenons or all types of headlamp? If so wouldn't that prevent ordinary UK vehicles driving in Spain?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As a rough guide Clear lens Xenons can be adjusted.

BRP

Reaction score
Really? Just for Xenons or all types of headlamp? If so wouldn't that prevent ordinary UK vehicles driving in Spain?
Not sure where I read it but it was saying that 'non adjustable' lights would have to be set with a beam setting device. The same article stated that screen mounted devices (sat nav etc.) were illegal in Spain. You see widespread use of screen mounted devices though and have not heard of anyone being stopped yet. I will look out for the black patches being used.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure where I read it but it was saying that 'non adjustable' lights would have to be set with a beam setting device. The same article stated that screen mounted devices (sat nav etc.) were illegal in Spain. You see widespread use of screen mounted devices though and have not heard of anyone being stopped yet. I will look out for the black patches being used.

To the first part it says in the MB data that even the switchable type must be done on a beam setter.

danglights

Reaction score
Adjusting Bi-Xenons for driving on Continent

I have a 2004 E320CDi with Bi-Xenons. Having recently driven in France Mercedes were kind enough to charge me £59 for the priviledge of adjusting the lights. I'm going a few times this year so wanted to do it myself. Having read in the forum that the switch could resemble a slide with a square hole in it I have found this. It is half way between the front and back of the light assembly which you can see when removing the circular cover. I have tried moving this up and down but it does not want to budge. Can someone confirm if this slides up or down or if their is another element which allows movement. If it is just down to a little more force I would be grateful if someone could confirm this. Many thanks for your help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is the first 6 vin numbers WDB211---

danglights

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. First 6 numbers are WDB211 then 2262A3

Regards
Danglights

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sl600

As a rough guide Clear lens Xenons can be adjusted.

would this lever system be the same on a 03 sl600 ? i am advised by wunderpartz, brendan that mb dont list different lights for europe for this car which seems to imply that they are simply reset as suggested here ? wonder if the french will accept this as ok for the mot here ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would this lever system be the same on a 03 sl600 ? i am advised by wunderpartz, brendan that mb dont list different lights for europe for this car which seems to imply that they are simply reset as suggested here ? wonder if the french will accept this as ok for the mot here ?

You have the levers in this car, they are there. I cannot put the drawings up here but I can Email them to you.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom