CLS 320 CDI (C219) Pads and Discs Upgrade

MNDMorris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
The life of my discs, both front and rear, are over. I'm looking at changing over to EBC Ultimax Slotted Performance Brake Discs, with either EBC Redstuff or EBC Yellowstuff pads.

I have a few questions regarding this upgrade, as to be expected.

Will this upgrade make a significant difference in braking performance, and which of the two brake pad sets would be better for road use? I don't plan on going on any track days, so I'd like a balance between performance and durability.

I'm also very confident with the procedure for changing both rear and front pads with discs, so I don't need any guidance in those areas. I am however confused with the EBC brake disc pictures I've seen online (links below).

Rear:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...nce-brake-discs-rear-pair-vented-300mm-x-22mm

Front:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...ce-brake-discs-front-pair-vented-312mm-x-28mm

Mercedes OEM discs have 4 holes on the disc for alignment and fitting, whereas EBC discs have 6, 4 of which are in line with the OEM discs but 2 smaller holes offset, opposite one another.

What's the reasoning for this and will I have all the necessary parts to fit the EBC discs hassle free?

Any information or experiences on the EBC discs and pads would be greatly appreciated,

Mike.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Those discs had better be significantly better than the originals as you appear to be paying approx £100 more for the rears and approx £60 extra for the fronts!!

OP
M

MNDMorris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
I've read reviews on the brake discs and pads I'm looking at buying, across a number of cars and CLS320's alike. I'm just curious as to whether or not they would be a worthwhile buy for typical road use. It would be nice knowing I have anchors as brakes if a situation arises where heavy braking is needed.

I've found that the Mercedes OEM brakes fade quite significantly under heavy braking on my car, I really want to move away from that. The EBC brake discs with pads are a noted improvement from my research and some people have even gone on to say that the OEM suspension on the CLS320 isn't quite adequate enough, for the EBC upgrade.

Kenny, just had a look at the Brembo brake calipers/discs set, they look ideal but I haven't got that sort of budget to fork out at once. Plus the brake pads and replacement discs for Brembo = £££ when the time for replacement inevitably comes around. Overall, I feel the EBC system I've chose is ideal for my budget and is a much better compromise than the Brembo brake set listed. Thanks though :)

Any information on the above questions, in my last post, would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Steve OB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS Grand Edition 2009
Mercedes OEM discs have 4 holes on the disc for alignment and fitting, whereas EBC discs have 6, 4 of which are in line with the OEM discs but 2 smaller holes offset, opposite one another

Isn't it 5 holes on the OEM and another 1 for the retaining screw. I'm looking at replacing mine and haven't seen any 4 hole ones, want to make sure I'm getting the right ones

OP
M

MNDMorris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
Ah that's my bad, I meant to put 5, one of the torx bits is for retaining and alignment, I was just curious as to why the EBC brake discs had two of those retaining bits, rather than one.

Steve OB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS Grand Edition 2009
Could be the wrong photo or just an example of the style of disc

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I have Ultimax discs fitted to the fronts, but am using MB pads so can't comment.
Run the pads and discs in properly and no problems. Stopping power is noticeably better than with the old discs.

OP
M

MNDMorris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
Thanks for the input on the EBC discs :) went and ordered the discs with Redstuff pads, Yellowstuff pads eat through discs apparently, so I decided against them. Will let you know how they feel and run once they've been fitted and bedded in properly.

Thanks again for the input and help guys.

Mike.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Thanks for the input on the EBC discs :) went and ordered the discs with Redstuff pads, Yellowstuff pads eat through discs apparently, so I decided against them. Will let you know how they feel and run once they've been fitted and bedded in properly.

Thanks again for the input and help guys.

Mike.

Red stuff are the best pads I have ever used and with a lot less dust..
I highly recommend them.

OP
M

MNDMorris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
Sorry for the long reply, had major issues with stock from Demon-Tweeks. I originally got told the EBC Discs had to be made from scratch and I'd have to wait. Not an issue to me. However, I had to wait over for a month for them to then say that the EBC Discs had an 'issue' at EBC themselves. So I cancelled my order with Demon-Tweeks and decided to ring EBC DIRECT. I rang the factory manager, who at the time was on the factory floor, and he checked the stock for me to confirm my discs were actually there on their shelves. To my surprise, he said they'd made them over 2 weeks ago and no one from Demon-Tweeks had come to pick them up or send a courier for that matter.

Had my discs and pads fitted by a local mechanic who only charged me £40 for the job, it isn't what you know sometimes, it's who you know! :)

All I can say is that the slotted EBC discs with Redstuff pads have made an absolutely HUGE difference to the performance of the whole braking system. When first fitted, I broke like I normally would and I nearly went through the windscreen! The feel you get from these brakes and discs is like something I've never felt before. I've been told that Redstuff pads take around 1,000 miles to bed in correctly and be at their optimum performance. I've currently had 250 miles out of these pads and discs and they appear to be getting stronger with each use. First few times they were a little smokey when coming off the motorway under sustained braking, I'm assuming that was due to the protective film they had over them when first made. They now run fine and I've not had any issues to mention.

For me, it's money well spent as I feel much more confident under sustained braking. It's a great feeling knowing I can stop under heavy braking much quicker. It's especially comforting traveling down the M6 in rush hour traffic, knowing that there's an unnecessary amount of braking in the outside lane, with these pads and discs fitted.

Thanks for the help and information,

Regards,

Mike

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom