Decent halogen h7 bulbs

J

jimbot1981

Hi there. I was told that my aftermarket Xenon kit is now an MOT failure as I do not have the self levelling lights and the headlight Washers.

I have had them removed and gone back to stock (the horrible yellow bulbs) which have ruined the look in the dark for me. I have had Osram Nightbreakers fitted and they give off a horrible yellow tinge too

They are H7 55w, I was told that you cannot exceed 55w otherwise you may experience some burnt wires as the extra draw on the current.

I then ordered some Philips bulbs which I was told by the person in the shop are the brightest you can get. Again they are a horrible yellow colour

Can someone please give me some good news that I can get the white lights back that are legal and save and won't cost me the Earth

Any experiences advice or useful info guys and girls?

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
MOT the car, put the Xenons back on for the next 354 days.

OP
J

jimbot1981

Thanks. But you have totally missed the point.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not think there is any other lamp in the halogen variety where you can get a whiter light.

mikeeb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CL55 AMG
You won't get better than night breakers. You can't get a xenon white light from a halogen

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
You can fit slightly higher power bulbs without overheating, but not the most powerful available, i.e. 90/130W - these are actually technically illegal for road use anyway.

I'm not sure what is available in H7 type, but suggest you don't go more than about +25% above recommended rating and if you do this make sure you check the fuses, wiring and bulb holder for overheating after about 30-60minutes use and stop using them immediately if any signs of overheating damage - proceed at your own risk!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I would have thought that more powerful lamps (bulbs if you prefer) would cause the fault warning and extinguish in favour of the fog lamp.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Thanks. But you have totally missed the point.

You have xenon lights but xenon lights without the self-levelling and washers won't pass the MOT.

You've swapped back to non xenon lights and have your MOT.

Swapping back to the xenon lights for the 364 days until the next MOT seems to me to be the obvious thing to do.

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
There is no way that I am aware of to get the performance of an HID Xenon light using conventional bulbs - that is why Xenon headlights have become a common fitment as they are a noticable improvement!

Xenon versions of conventional bulbs are available, but these are not HID and are only an incremental improvement over halogen bulbs.

There is no magic solution. You will have to live with the lower temperature "yellow" light from conventional bulbs or re-fit your Xenon lights up to the next MOT.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
find some second hand xennon units on ebay and fit them to your car

rom1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi coupe/2004
Try the night breakers with led side lights, I did that and it reduces the yellowness, although my night breakers + gold edition have no yellowness. Led sidelights with 5 or more leds look mint I needed error free canbus compatibles less then a fiver for a pair off ebay.

I went all out changed all the interior bulbs and rear number plate lights to led.

xeon effect fog lights, with a pure white effect.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
No has to have washers too

I think it's a bit of a grey area but I do agree they should be fitted,

This is what's stated in the guide lines for mot testers

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch."

OP
J

jimbot1981

You have xenon lights but xenon lights without the self-levelling and washers won't pass the MOT.

You've swapped back to non xenon lights and have your MOT.

Swapping back to the xenon lights for the 364 days until the next MOT seems to me to be the obvious thing to do.

Yep get where you are coming from however that then means removing all sign of the ballast boxes. The light covers that have to be doctored to filter the xenon bulb wires through.

Thanks

OP
J

jimbot1981

Try the night breakers with led side lights, I did that and it reduces the yellowness, although my night breakers + gold edition have no yellowness. Led sidelights with 5 or more leds look mint I needed error free canbus compatibles less then a fiver for a pair off ebay.

I went all out changed all the interior bulbs and rear number plate lights to led.

Hi mate. I have the LED side lights which look pretty good. Would you mind posting a pic of yours at night please?
Cheers

OP
J

jimbot1981

Guys. Thanks so much for the replies. I have found some 5000k 55w bulbs (not counting my chickens.) they are being delivered tomorrow so we will see what that brings.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Guys. Thanks so much for the replies. I have found some 5000k 55w bulbs (not counting my chickens.) they are being delivered tomorrow so we will see what that brings.

Don't forget to come back to the thread with before and after pics.

And details of the new bulbs, which may be of help to others with your predicament :)

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Led sidelights with 5 or more leds look mint I needed error free canbus compatibles less then a fiver for a pair off ebay.

The OP wants a 'whiter' light, not mint! :) Replacing your fog light lamps with xenon lamps, surely will now render them useless for what they were designed to do, wont it??

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom