Driving Licence Change

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
On 8th June 2015 your driving licence counterpart ceases to be valid. This has implications for hiring a car, etc.

From DVLA website:

After 8 June 2015 if you are hiring a vehicle or you drive for a living and you are asked to provide evidence of your driving record (entitlements and/or penalty points), you will be able to do this online for free by accessing our Share Driving Licence service. This service is currently in development but will be available before the counterpart is abolished. The service should be used by both paper and photocard driving licence holders and will also allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared.

Alternatively you can call DVLA and give permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.​

You can view your driving history here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
So they are getting rid of the counterpart, but providing a service, where you can go online, and print a counterpart basically.

OP
Lexman8

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
Actually, it won't be that simple because if you print one yourself there's no way for a car rental company, etc, to check that you haven't altered it in some way.

The system under development will allow you to go on-line to DVLA and generate a PIN code, valid for 72 hours, which you can give to whoever, to allow them to access your driving records.

I guess (hope!) that lots of rental companies, especially outside the UK, won't bother.

Cynics will say that eventually there'll be a charge for getting your PIN...

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Sound like a massive cock up in the making, I wonder how class entitlements will get missed off, or how long you will wait to get through on the phone.

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Sounds a sensible system and hopefully it's part of reducing the tax burden on us all. I do have that usual squeaky bum feeling that occurs whenever the words 'Government IT Project' are uttered!

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
I've still got the old type licence with 3 points on from 1989 and will cling to it until I absolutely have no choice!

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Sounds a sensible system....

Does it?

Fiona forgot to bring her counterpart last time we were in Alicante and the hire company would not allow her to be added.

Sounds like a right balls up imho.

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
I've still got the old type licence with 3 points on from 1989 and will cling to it until I absolutely have no choice!

yep, still got my paper license from 1988. no chance I am giving it up.

you can shove your plastic where the sun don't shine.

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
Apparently a code from the dvla replaces the paper counterpart.
Having said that my family have a home in Spain and I've hired countless cars and I've never been asked for anything other than the card, never the paper part.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/...eed-a-code-to-hire-a-car-abroad-10219834.html

Nik.

Does it?

Fiona forgot to bring her counterpart last time we were in Alicante and the hire company would not allow her to be added.

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Does it?

I was in Alicante last week and the hire company didnt want to see the counterpart at all. They did take 2000 euro's :eek: of my credit card for the security deposit on the car though and only gave back 1950 euro's :rolleyes: and despite constant chasing this week have failed to respond to my calls and emails.

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
That's a lot, Goldcar take 600 euros if I recall.
Car hire abroad is the biggest rip off going.....

I was in Alicante last week and the hire company didnt want to see the counterpart at all. They did take 2000 euro's :eek: of my credit card for the security deposit on the car though and only gave back 1950 euro's :rolleyes: and despite constant chasing this week have failed to respond to my calls and emails.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
That's a lot, Goldcar take 600 euros if I recall.
Car hire abroad is the biggest rip off going.....

Tell me about it.......i was also charged 40 euro admin fee for the privelege of taking the car back with a full tank of fuel.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 Jag XJ 3.2 , 2x Alfa spiders, 1X Alfa GTV V6 3.0.
I've been lucky. I've hired cars out of Spain & Turkey and neither have asked for the counterpart (although I always carry it with my licence).
The company I work for, did a "live" check on my licence recently as part of their annual checks. It shows 0 points, although I still have 5 to come off next year.
A live check shows you 3 years, most points stay on your licence for 4 years, but for insurance purposes they want 5 years history...It's all nackers.

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
yep, still got my paper license from 1988. no chance I am giving it up.

you can shove your plastic where the sun don't shine.

Mine's in English and Welsh, it's like the Magna Carta!

It also authorises me to speed and straddle lanes, in one bottom corner it clearly states "Tear along the dotted line"

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
I only have my original paper licence as there is, so far, no legal requirement to carry a plastic licence. :D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom