Normfest AC cleaner requires AC Off but a cold setting?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
How can I do this on a CL500. 2009
Yes I can get it to recicle the air, and they say they want a cold setting, and max blower - OK I can do that.
But re the cold setting, It will go down to 16C, one more click and it says LO, which I suspect is definitely AC. But Normfest say turn the AC off.

There is an OFF button, if I press that, Command says "Climate Control Off" and the blowers stop.

So my problem is how to have a cold setting, with the blowers on ( which I think means having Climate control on ) and have the AC off?

They also say point the can at the passenger air intake. I assume thats the plastic grill in the passender footwell sort of under the glove compartment. By is that the Intake? When on recycle mode? Looks like cold air blows out of that.

Anyone done this on a CL500?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I did this on mine by turning the temperature down to minimum, blowers on maximum, recirculation on, putting the can on the centre console armrest, getting out and closing the door but NOT locking it.

Worked a treat.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well the manual says if you turn the Automatic Climate control off, all air circulation stops, only do this for a short oeriod of time "risk of misting up"

So turning iff the ac seems a no go as the product wouldnt circulate.
Guess I could set it at 19C as thats not warm.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
does the 216 have a button for AC? I know my 211 had a button that when pressed would then deactivate the AC but leave the rest of the climate control system on

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well the manual says if you turn the Automatic Climate control off, all air circulation stops, only do this for a short oeriod of time "risk of misting up"

So turning iff the ac seems a no go as the product wouldnt circulate.
Guess I could set it at 19C as thats not warm.

As for the air intake, looks like the holes at the front blow out air, and I guess the holes at the back are the IN air. As I cant feel anything coming through them.

But maybe thats an out for hot air??

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
does the 216 have a button for AC? I know my 211 had a button that when pressed would then deactivate the AC but leave the rest of the climate control system on

No there is an Off Button and a Rest button.
The Rest button is to use residual heat from the engine to warm the cabin after running the engine, its an option.

The off button, seems to shut off everything all fans etc. And Command then says . "automatic Climate control is switched off"

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I did this on mine by turning the temperature down to minimum, blowers on maximum, recirculation on, putting the can on the centre console armrest, getting out and closing the door but NOT locking it.

Worked a treat.

Hi Thanks
Did you have the engine on?
Does the C215 have Automatic Climate Control?

Out of interest was there any reason you chose to put it on the centre console rather than as they said in the passenger footwell.

I was thinking ... more bacteria on the drivers side than the passenger side ...
In my mind why not put it on one side for 5 mins and then the other side for 5 mins ( apart from getting gassed as you moved it :):):

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
hmm, just looked at a 216 interior, it doesn't have a separate AC button so I think as you say you will have to drop it to 19 and recirculation on. The last time I did one of these I placed the thing in the floor in the back, seemed to get everywhere with it on max circulation

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
In my mind why not put it on one side for 5 mins and then the other side for 5 mins ( apart from getting gassed as you moved it :):):

The whole idea of these things is they work with a sealed system, by moving it half way through you effectively unseal the system by opening the door, this will reduce the effectiveness of the product

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
hmm, just looked at a 216 interior, it doesn't have a separate AC button so I think as you say you will have to drop it to 19 and recirculation on. The last time I did one of these I placed the thing in the floor in the back, seemed to get everywhere with it on max circulation

Thanks seems the only way, plus I will have to run the engine, or Command shuts down after 3 minutes.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks seems the only way, plus I will have to run the engine, or Command shuts down after 3 minutes.

Keep the engine running for sure, that's why I joked about not locking the doors!

My 216 and 211 both have a button to turn AC off, the 212 doesn't (Auto on or off) however it does allow me to select the temperature to whatever and put the fan to full.

The key to it is to allow the spray particles to get sucked into the "treated" side of the A/C system and be spread around it.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Go into the AC settings through comand and select AC OFF, the rest of the system will function as normally.

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Go into the AC settings through comand and select AC OFF, the rest of the system will function as normally.

On mine as soon as you select OFF all the fans stop.
And the manual confirms this is correct

So surely this product needs to circulate around the system and therefore the fans need to be on? Well it says to put the fans to max setting.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
On mine as soon as you select OFF all the fans stop.
And the manual confirms this is correct

So surely this product needs to circulate around the system and therefore the fans need to be on? Well it says to put the fans to max setting.

That's weird, on mine it just turns off the compressor.... they may have changed the function.

I would just run it with the AC on, its not going to make much of a difference, it s still going to to through the evaporator in either case.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Keep the engine running for sure, that's why I joked about not locking the doors!

My 216 and 211 both have a button to turn AC off, the 212 doesn't (Auto on or off) however it does allow me to select the temperature to whatever and put the fan to full.

The key to it is to allow the spray particles to get sucked into the "treated" side of the A/C system and be spread around it.

Thanks,
On my C216 there are 2 rows of holes in the footwell ceiling ( i,e. Under the glove compartment.

Aire seems tomcome out of the front row of holes and none out of the rear line of holes. Is this the air intake when the system is set to recirculate?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't know, but the recirc will draw air from inside the cabin somewhere.

Just put the recirc on, fans on max and set the thing going.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
That's weird, on mine it just turns off the compressor.... they may have changed the function.

I would just run it with the AC on, its not going to make much of a difference, it s still going to to through the evaporator in either case.

Thanks
Yes they seem to be different, mine only has "Automatic Climate Control" maybe yours being a more expensive AMG version has more options.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Don't know, but the recirc will draw air from inside the cabin somewhere.

Just put the recirc on, fans on max and set the thing going.

Yep that was my plan, set it to 18C , full fans, and Recirculate.

The instructions say ac off, blowers max, and choose a cool setting.

So this is about as near as I can get to their requirements. Assuming 18C is classified as cool? I feel anything lower would be more like AC cooling.

The great news is that underlying horrible smell has gone! Smells like lovely fresh leather. :):):) OK the mats are out. But if it comes back with them they are going in the bin. Lol

Thought I would leave the mats in when doing the Normfest thing, as I assume its some kind of antibacterial ingredient.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep that was my plan, set it to 18C , full fans, and Recirculate.

The instructions say ac off, blowers max, and choose a cool setting.

So this is about as near as I can get to their requirements. Assuming 18C is classified as cool? I feel anything lower would be more like AC cooling.

The great news is that underlying horrible smell has gone! Smells like lovely fresh leather. :):):) OK the mats are out. But if it comes back with them they are going in the bin. Lol

Thought I would leave the mats in when doing the Normfest thing, as I assume its some kind of antibacterial ingredient.

That is exactly what it is. And it makes an immediate difference; mine had a musty smell coming from the vents after sitting for an unknown time, I think 6 months, enough for the battery to die completely... one AC bombe and it's as sweet as you like now.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
That is exactly what it is. And it makes an immediate difference; mine had a musty smell coming from the vents after sitting for an unknown time, I think 6 months, enough for the battery to die completely... one AC bombe and it's as sweet as you like now.

Not only smell is improved, but I did meet to a guy who cleaned corporate ac systems. According to him, ac systems can harbour real nasities like legionaires disease. Etc. Obviously he was egging it on, but one can appreciate the concept.

Probably a similar issue here and the owner spent months about at a time, so the car may have sat undriven!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom