Renew rip off

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
It will be, you just don't realise it.

As AMGeed says, it was made a legal requirement of insurers by law a few years ago. Just not really publicised.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

As AMGeed says, it was made a legal requirement of insurers by law a few years ago. Just not really publicised.

I am pretty sure a policy is offered with auto renewal but you can opt out of it.
I will check now next week to be sure one way or the other.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, you can cancel the auto renewal yourself, but have to consciously and actively request it. It won't happen by accident.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

I got into an arguement with Swinton a couple of years ago over auto renewal when they sent me a reminder and the quote was unacceptable. They rang me to renew and I told them I was cancelling. Days later I saw the premium had been automatically taken and I got into a dispute with them as they said I had to cancel by letter despite them reminding you all calls are recorded.
They backed down eventually when I threatened to take them to the insurance ombudsman, but it was a lesson learned to ensure if you aren't renewing,cancel the direct debit beforehand.

Its longer ago than I first thought
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20180794

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I got into an arguement with Swinton a couple of years ago over auto renewal when they sent me a reminder and the quote was unacceptable. They rang me to renew and I told them I was cancelling. Days later I saw the premium had been automatically taken and I got into a dispute with them as they said I had to cancel by letter despite them reminding you all calls are recorded. ....

I had similar with Hastings probably 10 yrs or more ago with EmilysMum's car insurance. It ran out in the first week of the year, I rang in the wek between Christams & New Year to tell them not to renew. I renewed elsewhere but then realised at the end of Jan that Hastings had also taken money from my account. The first girl I spoke to said that it was my fault as I'd not cancelled my policy when I phoned ... couldn't get through to her why I wouldn't have cancelled a policy with a week to run. I wrote stinking email & got the money back from them. I vowed never to ever use them again, I haven't, but Emily did! :confused:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I had similar with Hastings probably 10 yrs or more ago with EmilysMum's car insurance. It ran out in the first week of the year, I rang in the wek between Christams & New Year to tell them not to renew. I renewed elsewhere but then realised at the end of Jan that Hastings had also taken money from my account. The first girl I spoke to said that it was my fault as I'd not cancelled my policy when I phoned ... couldn't get through to her why I wouldn't have cancelled a policy with a week to run. I wrote stinking email & got the money back from them. I vowed never to ever use them again, I haven't, but Emily did! :confused:

Lol...........I am currently with Hastings and had to threaten to cancel last renewal as the price was too high. In the end they matched their main competitor on price. I expect the same game this year although I accept prices have genuinely increased.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Well I've renew my policy with Sheila's wheels , for £262 not the cheapest one,but got what I wanted with this one.so happy enough with this,better than £700 odd ,robin barstuwrds ,don't just auto renew you can save ya self quite abit of monies half on the computer

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
When I renewed my policy with Direct Line this year, after checking it was still the cheapest - it was, they asked if I wanted an auto renewal. To which I said no.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
When I renewed my policy with Direct Line this year, after checking it was still the cheapest - it was, they asked if I wanted an auto renewal. To which I said no.

Me to with LV.

T5R+

Reaction score
None of mine auto-renew, wonder if it is because I pay annually rather than monthly BUT whenever offered "would you like us to renew automatically" - always decline their kind offer.

In the past allowed my policy to lapse at midnight and rang the following day for a "deal" - always used to find it cheaper (car on driveway or garaged and my exposure to risk minimal for approx 10 hours).

Web based comparison sites a few years ago were very good and you could ring the insurer after a web quote and they would match (like delaing with people plus sanity check with a human to avoid any input keyboard errors).
Recently found that (in my case) web based quote not as good - know the reason - "big brother" profiles my buying habits and knows that I will not purchase through t'internet

Seriously, try Sheila's wheels. They have 3 of our cars BUT watch for the administration charges (common to most insurers these days).

Finally, if your bank offer car insurance (generally underwritten by others) give them a call - found myself having to insure a car due the "continuous insurance/SORN fiasco" and amazed that "my bank" were competitive.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Both of ours auto renew, mine is with AXA and Keith's is with SAGA but I think they are one and the same company as on the bank statement they both show as AXA DD's. The cheapest quote for Keith's car I have got so far is £211 which is pretty good, that was with LV. Have contacted Chris Knott, not heard back, did try to get a quote from them a few years ago and never heard back from them so will probably just go with the cheapest :p

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I received an invitation to renew which I did.
I don't have a direct debit set up with Aviva so how can they auto renew?
I may be wrong of course but I don't think its auto renew.

How did you pay for your insurance? Debit or credit card then you will auto renew.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
How did you pay for your insurance? Debit or credit card then you will auto renew.

I paid by debit card on this occasion, but they didn't have the card details previously. I had to enter the details when I renewed.

My cards expire during this year so I don't see how they could auto renew in December with out of date details.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I paid by debit card on this occasion, but they didn't have the card details previously. I had to enter the details when I renewed.

My cards expire during this year so I don't see how they could auto renew in December with out of date details.

You are correct, they cant use out of date card details but the next renewal will be auto with in date card details.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not quite, if a new card is issued with the same number and new expiry they can use it. Some do and some don't.

May also depend on the bank / card provider, but don't use it as a hard rule as it is not.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Blimey, your all talking about £200-300 premiums.

Mine floats around £1000-1300 PA :( :( :(

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Was pleasantly surprised this year, that my renewal email from Admiral was actually £130 less than last year... without any bartering involved!

First time in 25 yrs+ driving its gone down. :rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Was pleasantly surprised this year, that my renewal email from Admiral was actually £130 less than last year... without any bartering involved!

First time in 25 yrs+ driving its gone down. :rolleyes:

So compare it and see if you can get it down further

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom