Diesels .... what does the future hold..

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Just reading and watching a lot of media on the emissions from diesels now being a major issue and some cities either banning them or limiting their use.

With 2 diesels ATM I am wondering whether now would be the right time to jump to petrol .

But I can't help but think with all the millions of diesel cars out there any drop in their value etc won't come soon .. electric clearly isn't the answer , yet .

So I have an option to just hand them back in a few minutes nuts and start again with petrol or keep them ...

Curious to see what the forum are thinking of this issue today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As momentum increases the value of diesels must be heading south .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Diesel sales in the UK last year were around half of all cars purchased. Research goes on apace, so I doubt if diesels will hit a brick wall any time soon, despite the posturing by mayors and band-wagon politicians.

If you really want to bail out of diesels, it might be prudent to go electric. Petrol is seen as just another polluter. Guaranteed that the PC brigade will be pushing electric propulsion harder in the near future, even though it also pollutes in a different way.

Elon has set the pattern, and others are now following.

And they are beginning to really accelerate!! (Pun unintended).

Umble

Last edited:

sharjah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 sl320 r129/r230 sl500 2003
diesel or petrol

tens,maybe hundreds of thousands diesels are on the road,hgv trucks,buses,diesel engined rail cars are we going to turf them off the road and replace them with what! The big car makers allover have invested millions and are not just going to roll over. Diesel engines can be 'cleaned' for city or suburban use.Some kind of regulation could be on the cards but I think it will be a smokescreen to sqeeze more cash out of the motorist

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Another excuse to tax the unsuspecting, as they have been promoted for years. We owners will be frowned upon by Greenies without a thought to the manufacturers and Govt's who might be considered to have known better while enjoying their profits and taxes.

Wozza14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
I was thinking the same but then my e350 that I've had for 5yrs 53k miles and runs like a dream probably worth 10k on a good day just going to run and run it....rather than change into something like a hybrid or electric for now as to much if I did change I think it would may be the new e coupe in April that is E400 petrol ...only d available I think is the 220d when it cones out and you can't beat grunt...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It will be 'driven' out, excuse the pun, but how long will it take? Million dollar question. we're currently looking to replace the Audi A6 Avant September or sooner, as we find it too small for us. Meaningfully we want a 7 seater really with decent seat width as we've 3 x kids using booster seats. Best we've found so far is the Hyundai Santa Fe...guess what they do ONE engine,and its a diesel.
Short term answer is to lease a diesel and let the leasing companies have the problems!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don't think there will be a problem with diesel cars meeting EU5 (equipped with DPF) and EU6 (equipped with DPF and Adblue) regulations as they are much cleaner engines when it comes to particlate and the NOx emissions with EU6 Adblue vehicles almost comparable with petrol cars

The risk lies with older EU1-4 cars which may include a higher RFL rate or restricted use in some areas but that is debatable and probably won't happen and the emphasis may be put on scrappage schemes

Government Policy on this seems to be up in the air at the moment (forgive the pun) so we will have to wait and see on the older cars but I'm not unduly worried

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The issues with diesels seems to be a European issue

Only because the rest of the world are still predominantly petrol (US, Australia, NZ for example) or not so bothered (China/India for example) or both.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
High mile drivers will suffer as a result if Diesels are heavily penalised, I drive c.33k a year and a petrol would never match a Diesel's fuel savings over a year.

On a more personal note, the torque of a Diesel is suited to relaxed drivers like myself, a petrol will never match that relaxed driving style (Unless say a C280 in my case which is a thirsty car) without a fuel economy sacrifice. I know also that these 1.X Turbo petrols are quick and torquey, but suffer dismal fuel economy as my work colleague has found out.
She has a 1 litre 125hp EcoBoost fiesta and whilst it sips fuel, when she's making a move on she regularly sees it go below 35mpg. Our works Ford Focus has the same engine with similar mpg.

Also, if older Diesels are looked after they're not 'Dirty' really. Mine rarely shows any black smoke even when I'm pressing on...but then I am (As are Wayne Gates MB) quite good when it comes to taking care of my W202.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Diesel sales in the UK last year were around half of all cars purchased. Research goes on apace, so I doubt if diesels will hit a brick wall any time soon, despite the posturing by mayors and band-wagon politicians.

just Thurs or Friday BBC news went on about new research shows nitrous oxide emissions form modern diesel cars puke out more than twice what 40t artic put out !!!

They will be gone from new sales within 2 years. And scrapped from the road completely within 5 years in UK and Europe. That's 15 years too late. These things are killers and should be banned instantly

VAG already saying all small diesel now cost more to make than they get back and are giving up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-produce-double-amount-toxic-gas-new-lorries/

A road in Brixton has already exceeded it legal annual total pollution for the whole of 2017 after just 4 days.

Dame Sally Davies, the government’s chief medical officer, said last month diesel cars should be phased out to cut the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year from air pollution.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Here we go again, bleeding hearts trying to stop people dying.

The biggest problem the world faces is the exponential growth in population.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
just Thurs or Friday BBC news went on about new research shows nitrous oxide emissions form modern diesel cars puke out more than twice what 40t artic put out !!!

They will be gone from new sales within 2 years. And scrapped from the road completely within 5 years in UK and Europe. That's 15 years too late. These things are killers and should be banned instantly

VAG already saying all small diesel now cost more to make than they get back and are giving up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-produce-double-amount-toxic-gas-new-lorries/

A road in Brixton has already exceeded it legal annual total pollution for the whole of 2017 after just 4 days.

Dame Sally Davies, the government’s chief medical officer, said last month diesel cars should be phased out to cut the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year from air pollution.

Ridiculous . . . :rolleyes:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
High mile drivers will suffer as a result if Diesels are heavily penalised, I drive c.33k a year and a petrol would never match a Diesel's fuel savings over a year.

If that 33K is mainly motorway cruising then petrol engines with cylinder shutdown capability (like VAG's ACT) look promising.

Last edited:

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
If that 33K is mainly motorway cruising then petrol engines with cylinder shutdown capability (like VAG's ACT) look promising.

Have to agree, however I don't trust VAG after their emissions scandal, I know their TDi engines are fuel efficient but their 1.4TSi are anything but. In addition, that engine has had many problems with drinking oil and timing chain problems.

With the mileage I do, I'd rather pay a bit more for a reliable vehicle to get me to and from. My W202 may not be the best on fuel but touching 40mpg and being the first car I've had ever that hasn't caused me issues, no wonder is the longest car I've had in 14 years motoring. Cars just don't seem so reliable nowadays with so much electronic trickery.

I guess that's also part of why I embrace older tech... It just works, it doesn't fake being eco because it isn't, but after a 13 hour long shift, I want to get get home not sit by the side of the road because 'Computer says No' lol.

For argument sake, even hybrids have a shelf life, their batteries go bad and then it's a fortune to replace them.

Catch 22...

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
For argument sake, even hybrids have a shelf life, their batteries go bad and then it's a fortune to replace them.

I was in a Toyota Auris Hybrid Taxi last week, the driver gets 900 miles to £45 of petrol!!!!!!!!!!!

It's self regenerating so when the engine kicks in it also charges the batteries

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
I was in a Toyota Auris Hybrid Taxi last week, the driver gets 900 miles to £45 of petrol!!!!!!!!!!!

It's self regenerating so when the engine kicks in it also charges the batteries

That's amazing... No wonder so many (mostly useless) Uber/minicab drivers use them here in London, they're quids in...! I've seen so many doing 30ish mph on 40 mph roads. I googled the electric side of Toyota hybrids and anything under 30mph the car runs on electric. For town they're brilliant but on the motorway, they're just any other gutless 1.5/1.8 litre petrol car.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

And the tech has only been used on submarines since 1902 as well...

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
I think its best if you go for petrol cars now rather than diesel, I'm a petrol owner my self and when ever I sit in traffic or stand behind a diesel car (lets say waiting to cross a busy road) I start to choke with the smell and fumes from a diesel powered car.

If you go to MB main website for new cars (also on BMW) and select "car configurator" you will notice that petrol cars are at the top whiles for few years diesel cars use to be on top of company websites and petrol use to be at the bottom. Also there wasn't many petrol cars available but now there seem to be few engines and less diesel engines available when it comes to select your new car

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom