Diesels .... what does the future hold..

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
I was in a Toyota Auris Hybrid Taxi last week, the driver gets 900 miles to £45 of petrol!!!!!!!!!!!

It's self regenerating so when the engine kicks in it also charges the batteries

That may be true, but do you have any idea of how much DIESEL is used in digging up half of Africa to make the battery packs for electric cars, let alone the damage to the environment of digging huge opencast pits to get the ore out. And then theres the need for increased electricity usage for recharging (which increases pollution, increases the mining etc etc). Its all ****** madness!!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Here we go again, bleeding hearts trying to stop people dying.

The biggest problem the world faces is the exponential growth in population.

Which will peter out around 2080 and start to decline.

For it to continue growing the replacement rate (babies to deaths) has to be 2.2-2.3 for every woman. It isn't.

Most of the big countries (India, china etc) are already way below that so their population will decline by 2100.

I can't remember the exact figure but it's estimated the population will peak around 11bn then decline.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Ahem ...

According to their story, just one of the world’s largest container ships can emit about as much pollution as 50 million cars.
Further, the 15 largest ships in the world emit as much nitrogen oxide and sulphur oxide as the world’s 760 million cars.

The problem isn’t necessarily with the ships’ 109,000-horsepower engines that endlessly spin away 24 hours a day, 280 days a year.
In fact, these powerplants are some of the most fuel efficient units in the world.

The real issue lies with the heavy fuel oil the ships run on and the almost complete lack of regulations applied to the giant exhaust stacks of these container ships.

:)

http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-1...pollution-than-all-the-cars-in-the-world/8182

Last edited:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
just Thurs or Friday BBC news went on about new research shows nitrous oxide emissions form modern diesel cars puke out more than twice what 40t artic put out !!!

They will be gone from new sales within 2 years. And scrapped from the road completely within 5 years in UK and Europe. That's 15 years too late. These things are killers and should be banned instantly

VAG already saying all small diesel now cost more to make than they get back and are giving up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-produce-double-amount-toxic-gas-new-lorries/

A road in Brixton has already exceeded it legal annual total pollution for the whole of 2017 after just 4 days.

Dame Sally Davies, the government’s chief medical officer, said last month diesel cars should be phased out to cut the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year from air pollution.

Might be a nice idea but no way could any government remove diesel cars from the road in 5 years.
Any party proposing that signs its death certificate.
Only Jeremy Corbin would be stupid enough to propose it.

Personally I dont like the sound they make, but I do admit the C270 CDI [now sold] I inherited from my mum did go jolly well ... very nice torque. But I hated the noise on start up, even at 17,000 miles. But it did 43 mph even when pushed jolly hard.

I just wouldnt buy one ... and I guess fear of a huge tax band will put people off.
Funny I remember folks saying how good they were, and a low fuel tax, then all of a sudden they are killers! :-/

If we really gave a dam about the ecology, we would ban all products made in China and India where pollution is totally out of control. I also wonder how much deisel is used pushing a 2 mile long cargo tanker from China to the UK?

I listen to all this PC Bull****, and wonder when we will actually get a politician to run this country properly.
E.g. How do you sort out the NHS? ... real simple. Make it illegal for any politically elected official to use Private health care.
They would sort out the NHS in one Week! You betcha!
How ... ****** easy ...
1. cancel all overseas aid
2. Introduce a health passport ... if you are British and have paid into the system (by paying taxes) you and your familty get a NHS card! No card no admittance!
Or you pay in advance an extortionate rate..... really cream it.
3. Put all and I mean all the money into the NHS and Care at home ( so hospital beds are not filled by people who are ready to go home!

Those 2 factors alone would give us state of the art Hospitals, world class service and treatment and a zero wait time.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
2. Introduce a health passport ... if you are British and have paid into the system (by paying taxes) you and your familty get a NHS card! No card no admittance!

So how about people like me who are not British but have lived here since 1988 and contributed an extortionate rate in advance (called tax @40% for almost all those years)?

Or British people who have lived abroad all their life, return to the UK for healthcare and depart again?

Not to mention the myriad of permutations based on parents and grandparents and the right to abode they can bring....

chrispynuts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
m l270
That may be true, but do you have any idea of how much DIESEL is used in digging up half of Africa to make the battery packs for electric cars, let alone the damage to the environment of digging huge opencast pits to get the ore out. And then theres the need for increased electricity usage for recharging (which increases pollution, increases the mining etc etc). Its all ****** madness!!

Here here ! Spot on.

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
Might be a nice idea but no way could any government remove diesel cars from the road in 5 years.
Any party proposing that signs its death certificate.
Only Jeremy Corbin would be stupid enough to propose it.

Personally I dont like the sound they make, but I do admit the C270 CDI [now sold] I inherited from my mum did go jolly well ... very nice torque. But I hated the noise on start up, even at 17,000 miles. But it did 43 mph even when pushed jolly hard.

I just wouldnt buy one ... and I guess fear of a huge tax band will put people off.
Funny I remember folks saying how good they were, and a low fuel tax, then all of a sudden they are killers! :-/

If we really gave a dam about the ecology, we would ban all products made in China and India where pollution is totally out of control. I also wonder how much deisel is used pushing a 2 mile long cargo tanker from China to the UK?

I listen to all this PC Bull****, and wonder when we will actually get a politician to run this country properly.
E.g. How do you sort out the NHS? ... real simple. Make it illegal for any politically elected official to use Private health care.
They would sort out the NHS in one Week! You betcha!
How ... ****** easy ...
1. cancel all overseas aid
3. Put all and I mean all the money into the NHS and Care at home ( so hospital beds are not filled by people who are ready to go home!

Those 2 factors alone would give us state of the art Hospitals, world class service and treatment and a zero wait time.

43mph when pushed jolly hard? no wonder you sold it! :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
At least they have finally managed to make it a bit smaller

That's only because you don't want to run 4000hp in your car ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So how about people like me who are not British but have lived here since 1988 and contributed an extortionate rate in advance (called tax @40% for almost all those years)?

Or British people who have lived abroad all their life, return to the UK for healthcare and depart again?

Not to mention the myriad of permutations based on parents and grandparents and the right to abode they can bring....

Foreign sponger! Honestly, I ask you... ;)

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
On the NHS,
All visitors should demonstrate their health insurance at entry, or buy a Gov't provided insurance.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

Not to mention Canada ...

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

That is one pf the problems with nationalised services - consumer and payer become disconnected.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I just got my "voluntary to display" energy efficiency sticker through the post for my car (in Spain they're sending them to everyone)...it was rated F and therefore I may like to "think about a more energy efficenct and sustainable vehicle".

Funny my housemate with her 2009 TDi VW Caddy van got one through with a B rating and a "congratulations on having an efficient vehicle and participating in a sustainable transport future".

She's never got more than 35mpg even on a run whereas mine will do 55mpg if careful. Sure mine has no cat etc so does pollute a lot more but in terms of energy efficency and sustainability what could actually beat a 30yr old car (which could well last another 30 years) that is capable of 55mpg??

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just got my "voluntary to display" energy efficiency sticker through the post for my car (in Spain they're sending them to everyone)...it was rated F and therefore I may like to "think about a more energy efficenct and sustainable vehicle".

Funny my housemate with her 2009 TDi VW Caddy van got one through with a B rating and a "congratulations on having an efficient vehicle and participating in a sustainable transport future".

She's never got more than 35mpg even on a run whereas mine will do 55mpg if careful. Sure mine has no cat etc so does pollute a lot more but in terms of energy efficency and sustainability what could actually beat a 30yr old car (which could well last another 30 years) that is capable of 55mpg??

Factor in the inbuilt energy costs in the manufacture of the car, the answer is "not much".

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
My thoughts exactly Craig. New car, more pollution from manufacturing methods.

Last edited:

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
It's like recycling glass, completely pointless as sand is not in short supply and it takes more energy is to recycle old glass than it does to make new.
Truly efficient recycling of glass would mean refilling the same bottle over and over...... like we used to back in the day.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom