Someone tell me how bad this scratch is?

oxf77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K SE Sport Coupe
Evening, noticed this scratch on my lower door panel. Its not too bad and my car is getting on a bit, but if I can get rid of it without spending too much obviously I'd be happy.

Just wondered if anyone can tell me how bad it is from the photos? Is it just a case of polish etc? I did try scratching it with my nail in case it was the transfer from the other surface but think its my paint missing.

The total length of the scratch is about 3 inches.

(I have a silver 05-plate C Class coupe)

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hard to say - try some T-cut first, see if that'll shift it.

OP
O

oxf77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K SE Sport Coupe
Hard to say - try some T-cut first, see if that'll shift it.

You know sometimes people can look at a pic and say "ooo you've gone straight through the X layer there" etc, thats why I just thought I'd see if anyone can tell me anything immediately obvious.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You know sometimes people can look at a pic and say "ooo you've gone straight through the X layer there" etc, thats why I just thought I'd see if anyone can tell me anything immediately obvious.

It does look like a rubber mark, maybe from somebody shoe? A good polish may be able to remove it, hard to tell from a picture.

OP
O

oxf77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K SE Sport Coupe
It does look like a rubber mark, maybe from somebody shoe? A good polish may be able to remove it, hard to tell from a picture.
Here's another photo, although I'm not sure if it gives you much more detail.

Attachments

• scratch2.jpg
    scratch2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 87

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
try the T-Cut first ...... you've nothing to lose (other than a couple of quid for the TCut if you've not already got some ..... but who doesn't have a 20 yr old bottle of T Cut in their garage? :rolleyes:)

SteveX

Reaction score
It looks more like crud on top of the paintwork than a scratch of sorts or gouge from the picture.

Try some T cut like advised or scratch removed compound on it - even if it has gone through the laquer it won't make it any worse, it will be obvious whether the mark is coming off of the paint or not quite quickly.

My opinion is that it could be made to look much better with a mild cutting paste / t cut and a polish.

Might still have damage to the lacquer and paint though under neath.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hard to be sure from pics but doesn't look so bad to me, as others have said T cut of another compound like that could do the job reasonably...not sure if 'colour magic' is still available but that used to cut and polish minor stuff in one

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Anybody owning a car should have T Cut ...do you not?

OP
O

oxf77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K SE Sport Coupe
I did put some t-cut on a sponge and give it a gentle wipe but it was pitch black, couldn't see too well and I wasn't sure if I was going to do more damage than good, so I didn't really pursue it. I think I'll give it another go.

Whats the best cloth type to use?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I did put some t-cut on a sponge and give it a gentle wipe but it was pitch black, couldn't see too well and I wasn't sure if I was going to do more damage than good, so I didn't really pursue it. I think I'll give it another go.

Whats the best cloth type to use?

Give it a rub with some thing mildly abrasive (paste, not pads) ...T Cut (or better Farecla), metal polish etc.

Cloth.
Well, 'detailer' threads will no doubt have you snipping bits off the Turin Shroud, but just something without gritty, bad stuff in it.

SteveX

Reaction score
I wouldn't personally worry about T-cut damaging it. I would have buffed the crap out of it by now to see if it made it better.

It's unlikely to cause any harm, but hey, if it doesn't work you're going to have to get it fixed anyway :)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
It'll buff out!

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
I'd try a flat razor blade and see if you can get under it. Use a very very shallow angle and push against the scratch to see if it has an edge. If it has you can work it off. The blade may leave a very light mark on the lacquer but that will polish out.

If it doesn't have an edged it's a scratch rather than a residue left on the paint.

OP
O

oxf77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K SE Sport Coupe
Had another look today and it **might** just be the paint from the other object, as opposed to my bodywork being chipped. When I run my fingers over it, it does feel to be "raised" rather than "sunken".

However, if it is my bodywork chipped wouldn't T-Cut remove yet more of my paintwork/whatever is left? I'm just worried about going gun-ho with the T-Cut if there isn't anything to remove. Could I not do further damage?

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I'd try a flat razor blade and see if you can get under it. Use a very very shallow angle and push against the scratch to see if it has an edge. If it has you can work it off. The blade may leave a very light mark on the lacquer but that will polish out.

If it doesn't have an edged it's a scratch rather than a residue left on the paint.

DO NOT GO NEAR IT WITH ANYTHING HARDER THAN A PIECE OF CLOTH. IT'S JUST a rub mark from something that rubbed against it and it will polish off.
If you cant get it off, go along to a bodyshop or garage and they will buff it off for you.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
From the photo (notoriously unreliable...), a few mins with T Cut on cloth will sort it, there's no risk of damaging 2K lacquer.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
For goodness sake get on with it or let someone do it for you. This is a 10 second job...and you've been talking about it for 2 days!!!!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom