Any B owners with CVT - can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveclv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 B180 CDI CVT
I have just purchased a B180 CDI 2008 (facelift) with the CVT gearbox.

I understand it is a 7 speed transmission but when entering manual mode I can only choose 1 to 5 - there is no 6 or 7

At 60mph it is doing just under 2000 rpm which feels about right so not sure whether this is correct.

Can any other B owners let me know if they can choose all 7 gears in manual mode or just 5 like mine

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
CVT driven vehicles dont have individual gears, it is a continious drive system. There may be a manual selection which will imitate gear speeds.
Your mph to revs sounds about right.
You should read up on cvt 'gearboxes' as they can be quirky.

OP
S

steveclv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 B180 CDI CVT
Yes, I realise that they are 'virtual' gears rather than specific gear sets - however some B owners are reporting that when they select the manual mode, the display allows them to select any of the 7 virtual gears.

Instead, mine only allows 5 to be selected and yet the car seems to drive OK

I was trying to find another owner of a 2008 B with the CVT to see if it was programmed that way or whether I might be developing a fault of some kind.

OP
S

steveclv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 B180 CDI CVT
That's weird - mine goes 1-5 and even if you push it to + again it stays at 5

If you push it to + and hold it there then it goes back to D

Are you checking yours on a B or another model?

Thanks!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
D,5,4,3,2,1...is six gears.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I dont own a B class, but i have driven probably 2000 over the years! The A class CVT is exactly the same too!

I would suggest though it is user error....

If you arent going fast enough for it to select 6th, then the ECU wont allow it, so a double tap of the tip tronic is sending it back to normal D mode. Hence it seems to go from 5 to D.

For example, if you were driving a manual car at 30 mph, you wouldn't try and select 6th, the car would jerk and hunt as the speed and torque is too low. Same principle applies. The ECU knows your speed and engine revs are too low for your desired selection, so it wont allow you to shift there. The same way as it wont let you downshift beyond a rev range that it will bounce off the limiter.

Try selecting 6th at 60mph and see what happens.

OP
S

steveclv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 B180 CDI CVT
That makes sense - I'll check again but I believe I tried it at around 60mph - but I will try again later - thanks.

Naraic - seriously!! - 1-5 are manual gears and D is automatic mode - doh! But I assume it was said jokingly ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
wifes 169 does show 7 gears but if I remember correctly it didn't show until I was up around 70 (ish), going up through the gears 1-7 as Steve suggested if it's not going quick enough it just drops back to D

6 & 7 I believe are more overdrive gears than anything

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
That makes sense - I'll check again but I believe I tried it at around 60mph - but I will try again later - thanks.

Naraic - seriously!! - 1-5 are manual gears and D is automatic mode - doh! But I assume it was said jokingly ;)

Trying to be helpful. You'll fit in well here. I don't know anything about your mickey mouse gearbox.

In my car D means I have 7 gears...when I nudge to the left it drops to 6th , then 5th and so on. What happens when you move to - (as opposed to +)?

But hey, you know best. I presume you have a user hand book...read it. You may find you are missing 6th.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Trying to be helpful. You'll fit in well here. I don't know anything about your mickey mouse gearbox.

In my car D means I have 7 gears...when I nudge to the left it drops to 6th , then 5th and so on. What happens when you move to - (as opposed to +)?

But hey, you know best. I presume you have a user hand book...read it. You may find you are missing 6th.

I don't think there was any need for that retort.

That's the kind of unhelpful rouse which has meant there has been more bickering on this forum than ever as late.

Let it go eh....

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I don't think there was any need for that retort.

That's the kind of unhelpful rouse which has meant there has been more bickering on this forum than ever as late.

Let it go eh....

So why get involved? I wasn't joking...why did he think I was?

Except on the political threads...where's the bickering?

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Because I'm trying to keep the peace between a new poster and a moderator, who should, quite frankly, know better.

Whether he thought you were serious or not, there was no need to reply as you did. Talk about being over sensitive....

The bickering on this forum has been driving me nuts for the past year and it usually starts with pointless retorts, yours being an example of one. This used to be a great place where we all used to post and help each other, with the odd bit of banter. This place has sure got quieter lately and now I am really beginning to see the reason why..

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Because I'm trying to keep the peace between a new poster and a moderator, who should, quite frankly, know better.

Whether he thought you were serious or not, there was no need to reply as you did. Talk about being over sensitive....

The bickering on this forum has been driving me nuts for the past year and it usually starts with pointless retorts, yours being an example of one. This used to be a great place where we all used to post and help each other, with the odd bit of banter. This place has sure got quieter lately and now I am really beginning to see the reason why..

So my first post wasn't helpful? Where's the other bickering you speak of?

Last edited:

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
I think it was the tone of your response as much as anything.

Sure the OP may not have taken your advice as you'd have liked when you then lost along the lines of "you must be an expert the.....go and check your handbook then" it does come off as being a tad argumentative and a bit short.

I might be wrong in my assessment of the above but it's how it reads to me....

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Sure I was short...he was questioning the help I proffered...which I think was correct...in a sneering way:

"Naraic - seriously!! - 1-5 are manual gears and D is automatic mode - doh! But I assume it was said jokingly."

He asked for advice, I helped. He didn't know about the MB gearbox, and thinks 1-5 are manual gears...they are not, they are just manually selected maximum gears and D has them all so a 7 speed has 1-6 and D. It was explained above my first post, I repeated the advice albeit more succinctly (missing the 6th gear).

Last edited:
OP
S

steveclv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 B180 CDI CVT
1. I would have expected better from a Moderator but hey ho!

2. Problem solved - I tried again at 70mph and lo and behold 7 speeds :)

So at 60mph I can only see 1-5 but over 60 I get the 2 extra overdrive speeds!

Thanks all - THREAD CLOSED

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)

Thanks for letting is know, like I say the wife's 169 although a couple of years older than yours it is the same engine and box and took me a while to get used to how it works compared to a standard tourque converter auto. to be honest I do enjoy driving her car, we use it for pretty much anything these days

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

You treated me as a fool...even moderators are members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom