Someone tell me how bad this scratch is?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think it needs reshelling as there must be something more to it than meets the eye.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
OX if thats metalic paint its going to be hard to hide it yourself. But a good scratch repair will get it 100% you might have to shop around but guys are out there . Mt cousin has two bmw , and the garsge is not to big. Pulling the saloon out he catched the mirror on the wing of the other bm .It looked like your picture .But the paint chap did it ,Cost £100 but well worth it ..

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
DO NOT GO NEAR IT WITH ANYTHING HARDER THAN A PIECE OF CLOTH. IT'S JUST a rub mark from something that rubbed against it and it will polish off.
If you cant get it off, go along to a bodyshop or garage and they will buff it off for you.

Disagree - used this method on my Maserati with good effect. If you take your time and are careful it doesn't do any damage. It does rely on a degree of skill and patience.

If the mark is from another car, i.e on top of the OG paint, then polishing it off you are potentially polishing an equivalent amount of the surrounding OG clear coat off as well.

Last edited:

SteveX

Reaction score
For goodness sake get on with it or let someone do it for you. This is a 10 second job...and you've been talking about it for 2 days!!!!!

IKR, first thing I do if I see a mark on paint is reach for the T cut and buff it with a rag, wouldn't even think twice about it.

Procrastinating over buffing off a potential dirty mark is quite funny. There is a small chance though that if he T-Cuts the mark, that his car may vanish into a black hole and take him and his house along with it though, I think that may be what his worry is?

Last edited:

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Black holes are dangerous - do not scoff !

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Here's another photo, although I'm not sure if it gives you much more detail.

Wet your finger and give it a rub. The stuck on stuff will come off and you can see what damage there is. Looks to me like T-Cut will do it.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Wet your finger and give it a rub. The stuck on stuff will come off and you can see what damage there is. Looks to me like T-Cut will do it.

Good call...and happy birthday?

Last edited:

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
Almost looks, to me, in the second pic like a smear of rubber or similar, in which case even Tar Remover (or neat petrol on a rag) would remove it. Certainly T Cut would and wouldn't damage your own paintwork either. Only downside of that is you will probably have a small shiny area and will end up having to T Cut the entire car to match! :mrgreen:

SteveX

Reaction score
Almost looks, to me, in the second pic like a smear of rubber or similar, in which case even Tar Remover (or neat petrol on a rag) would remove it. Certainly T Cut would and wouldn't damage your own paintwork either. Only downside of that is you will probably have a small shiny area and will end up having to T Cut the entire car to match! :mrgreen:

Petrol does work well, careful not to rub it in too much though.

I once reversed out of my garage over a can of carpet glue :(

It exploded and proceeded to cover the left side of my CLK with glue, it was a disaster. I quickly grabbed my can of fuel and started removing it all, then washed it off and polished it all straight back up, that was two years ago, it was good as new no damage or problems at all :)

I must admit when I opened the door it was a brown trouser moment for a bit though, thankfully none went on the soft top, that may have been another matter!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)

A cheap trick I've used is to put a tiny bit of Jif (Cif) cleaning cream on a cloth through a finger (so you can restrict where you rub to the scratch etc). Obviously you only rub it off GENTLY and if it works, apply some polish immediately.

It was more effective in the days before metallic paint because you rubbed a bit of the surrounding paint into the crack. But just like T-Cut, you should always go gently!

Top Bottom