Back in an AMG...an SL55

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Sounds like a great trip , I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing more . Don't forget a pic of your car on a high Swiss pass with the roof down .

OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Sounds like a great trip , I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing more . Don't forget a pic of your car on a high Swiss pass with the roof down .

Goes without saying and I have to add it to the collection.

IMG_2624_zps325wfkuh.jpg

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
We too would be keen to learn the details ;) though this year is out for us, so is 2018 but hopefully 2019 will be untouched :)

Tonysmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Amg sport bluetec auto convertible
Sounds like our kind of road trip, we drove to Porec, Croatia, via Vienna, and then Porec to Dubrovnick, the scenery is stunning, to get to Dubrovnick you have to go into Bosnia and then back into Croatia, the road runs alongside the coast with views of the Elaphite islands in the distance absolutely stunning, the drive takes about eight hours, not accounting for stops, admiring the views, that was last summer

Tonysmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Amg sport bluetec auto convertible
Forgot to put, we also stopped in Zagreb, between Vienna and porec

OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
We too would be keen to learn the details ;) though this year is out for us, so is 2018 but hopefully 2019 will be untouched :)

Once I have my itinerary worked out I will be happy to share with anyone that is interested.

I have the one from the trip last year if anyone wants a look. That trip was Portsmouth, Tours, Saint-Etienne, Carpentras, Vence, Nice, Monaco, Milan, Lake Como, Andermatt(including all the famous mountain passes in the area), Interlaken, Bern, Brienz and Troyes, around Paris then home.

If anyone wants a copy PM me your email address.

OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Sounds like our kind of road trip, we drove to Porec, Croatia, via Vienna, and then Porec to Dubrovnick, the scenery is stunning, to get to Dubrovnick you have to go into Bosnia and then back into Croatia, the road runs alongside the coast with views of the Elaphite islands in the distance absolutely stunning, the drive takes about eight hours, not accounting for stops, admiring the views, that was last summer

Sounds amazing. Great to find someone else that has made a similar trip. What time of the year did you go? Is there any do's/donts for driving in that part of the world?

I am also planning a long weekend up to the Scottish highlands this year. Would like to do Denmark/Norway/Sweden also but more than likely that will be pushed out to 2018.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
pm sent, though not sure if you will be able to receive pm yet, I think you have to have so many posts first?

Peter

OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
pm sent, though not sure if you will be able to receive pm yet, I think you have to have so many posts first?

Peter

Peter,
Strangely I cannot view the PM on the forum but I got an email with the contents of the PM. I will send it over when I am back on my computer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Yeah epic trip, what an adventure that will be. And the luxury of a V8 too, nice. There are few better ways to travel IMO.

Croatia is really nice, haven't driven there though.

OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
And the luxury of a V8 too, nice. There are few better ways to travel IMO.

Have to agree with you there. Roof down, sun shining, stunning scenery and the noise of a V8. Driving heaven.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Great pics - the car looks awesome and it seems you are taking the time to make it as good as it possibly can be.

Have always liked the black/red combination.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I found the obvious ones at the base of the c-pillar where it meets the rear quarter panel.

Are these the other two?
P1010524_zpslgemp7wf.jpg

that's them. I'm unaware of these causing any issues, but always possible. The main 2 are under where the "pointy ends" of the boot lid go when closed

Thanks for this. I have just checked the ones in the pic on my car - they were soft to the touch and don't seem to have anything in them. I couldn't see anything obvious where the 'pointy ends' of the boot lid go to check though?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
If you open the boot lid and go to the furthest forward extremities of the drainage channels right next to the "C" pillars you'll find a small - about 1/2" hole - each side. These are the ones that get blocked. They are so small & low profile, they easily disappear under accumulated crud.

Your comment above the pic would imply you have though & they are ok ;)

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
If you open the boot lid and go to the furthest forward extremities of the drainage channels right next to the "C" pillars you'll find a small - about 1/2" hole - each side. These are the ones that get blocked. They are so small & low profile, they easily disappear under accumulated crud.

Thanks. I think I did notice a couple of small holes so will have another look. I have some stiff speaker wire - presume its ok/worthwhile to try and push that through to make sure things are all clear?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Strimmer cable is safer. If you gently pour a little water into these, it should come straight out ahead of the rear wheels

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Strimmer cable is safer. If you gently pour a little water into these, it should come straight out ahead of the rear wheels

Hmm, not sure I have any of that. Will have to see what else I have to hand. Is it just a case of feeding the cable into the hole until it pops out somewhere?

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Ok, found the drainage holes - they did have a bit of muck on them. Cleared that off and poured a little water into the channel. Drained out straightaway - came out at the back of the rear wheels (there is a sort of set of louvre openings in the rear arch) and also in the middle of the boot onto the ground (that was the water that ran along the edge of the boot channel and then down).

So it would seem that things are ok (for now). Glad I found these as they are not obvious at all. Will probably try to clean them out with wire soon anyway.

Last edited:
OP
J

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55

Thanks. I have those ones unblocked and flushed out. One was totally blocked and the other nearly blocked. Will keep an eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom