Selling my car

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's an MOT inspection, not mechanical work being carried out on the car... How could one place differ from another (apart from trying to rip you off for unnecessary services/rapiers) :confused:

You've said it. If a MOT stn also does repairs, there's a vested interest to find something to repair. My MOT stn just does MOTs ;-)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I've been taking both my cars to the same place for MoT for 9-10 years now, originally it was Nationwide Autocentre then they were bought out by Halfords so it became a Halfords Autocentre. They have never tried any "you need this done" tricks in that entire time - I have had advisories on the MoT a few times, and a couple of fails on bulbs needing replaced, but nothing else.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
That's staggering for a Halfords MOT place!

Everyone I know that used the one near work (SW20) has been conned into unneccessary "repairs". Usually Rear brake cylindwers, because they are inaccessible and difficult to check (and Safety-related, so easy to scare Joe Public)

Maybe they are closing down next week and had nothing further to gain?

Last edited:
OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I had another call about the car this afternoon, this time from a chap in Cyprus. Have no idea if he was genuine or not, hadn't thought that someone from there might want to buy a car and have it shipped there. He asked if I could get the car to Enfield where the company who ship the cars are based but I said no as quite honestly it's a pain to get there, ironically it's where I bought the car in the first place and when Keith went to pick it up it took him ages. Not sure if it was a scam or not, surely they have cars to buy there? My daughter in laws father lives there but I don't remember him taking his car with him when he moved there :confused:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
That smells like a scam to me. Even if it wasn't, as you say, the extra hassle just wouldn't be worth it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I had another call about the car this afternoon, this time from a chap in Cyprus. Have no idea if he was genuine or not, hadn't thought that someone from there might want to buy a car and have it shipped there. He asked if I could get the car to Enfield where the company who ship the cars are based but I said no as quite honestly it's a pain to get there, ironically it's where I bought the car in the first place and when Keith went to pick it up it took him ages. Not sure if it was a scam or not, surely they have cars to buy there? My daughter in laws father lives there but I don't remember him taking his car with him when he moved there :confused:

Yes they have cars to buy in Cyprus, and it smells awful fishy to me. The request to go to Enfield, not Cyprus ;)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
"I am Nigerian royalty. I will give eleventy million dollars for your car. Please send me all your bank account details."

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
As soon as he said 'Oh I'm sure I can trust you, I can tell you are honest just talking to you' rang alarm bells for me. How anyone would buy a car without seeing it just doesn't sound right to me ;)

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
The overseas scams are usually based on the shipping costs scam. They pay into your bank account the cost of the car plus say a £1000 to pay for shipping. They tell you to pay their nominated shipper on their behalf. The shippers bank account is theirs of course and then you find out their original payment has bounced.....

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Cyprus is full of ex-rental cars - lots of them get sold off at the end of 1 x season!

Even though small automatics are more rare than manuals, there's no doubt you did the right thing; you need eyes in the back of your head with these people.

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Always sold on ebay so not sure if you have enough characters on an autotrader ad but putting in capitals at the end

"I will only sell for cash on collection, no other arrangements, places to ship to, I've heard them all"

worked a treat the last two cars I sold and didn't get hassle.

Must admit once was selling some snow chains on gumtree and a guy called me up saying he would pay me from luxembourg for them and drive over to collect them on sunday. Laughed him off saying cash on collection and my dad was in all sunday and the address is in ad if he wanted.

Then Sunday my dad phones me saying there's a guy with an old W124 on luxembourg plates outside and he wants the snow chains for 75 quid cash (the advertised price)!! So you never know how genuine some of these people are. Cars in some places are available but eye wateringly expensive and I think Cyprus is one of those places.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Always sold on ebay so not sure if you have enough characters on an autotrader ad but putting in capitals at the end

"I will only sell for cash on collection, no other arrangements, places to ship to, I've heard them all"

worked a treat the last two cars I sold and didn't get hassle.

Must admit once was selling some snow chains on gumtree and a guy called me up saying he would pay me from luxembourg for them and drive over to collect them on sunday. Laughed him off saying cash on collection and my dad was in all sunday and the address is in ad if he wanted.

Then Sunday my dad phones me saying there's a guy with an old W124 on luxembourg plates outside and he wants the snow chains for 75 quid cash (the advertised price)!! So you never know how genuine some of these people are. Cars in some places are available but eye wateringly expensive and I think Cyprus is one of those places.

I did something similar. I wanted a Mamiya 645 camera and found one in NZ. Told the guy I'd have it and would come over to collect end of the following week.

The look on his face when I announced myself to him when I went to collect was priceless!

It just happened I was going anyway to see family :)

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I sold the car just now, got £5,100 which is pretty much what I was after. Actually had 2 people very keen to buy it :D

kwk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e280 w163 ML320.
Well done for selling it. You get timewasters everywhere. I sold a Volvo S60 0n e bay a couple of years ago. It had about 130000 miles and I was asking £750. Despite the mileage, it was excellent mechanically and body wise.
I had an enquiry from a bloke from Inverness on the first day. I live in Swansea. He asked me to hold on to the car and he would be down the following day. I didn't really hold out much hope and, even though another potential buyer contacted me who was living local, I thought I would stick to my promise.
At 10 pm the following night, the bloke from Inverness phoned me from my local railway station asking for directions to my home, I went to collect him, made him a cup of tea and a sandwhich before he paid me the money and drove back to Inverness.
There are some decent buyers out there. I just could not believe he would do all that for a £700 car.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I sold the car just now, got £5,100 which is pretty much what I was after. Actually had 2 people very keen to buy it :D
Well done, Lyn. Not too bad a price but then, it was in very good nick etc
- Glad you kept you cool so that's one less thing to worry about!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

Well done Lyn it did look well cared for and those are the ones that sell, a little bit of haggling did the trick and not a bad outcome:D

Top Bottom