Recommend me a Scrappy

fidge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2013
I've just purchased my first DA Polisher and rather than go all guns blazing on my nice new car I want a scrap panel to practice on. I also want to practice my stone chip and scratch repair.

Now ideally I would like a metal panel in the same colour, Diamond White.

I'm in the Birmingham area, can anyone suggest a scrappy, local or otherwise that may be able to supply such a panel?

There is a door in Wolverhampton, but they want £75 for it, which is too rich if I'm just going to destroy it.

TIA.

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Try Autobits on Clarkes Lane Willenhall.
Even though I deal in scrap I don't break cars but Darren there does

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Sounds stupid but give MSL a try, they did start as a parts supplier

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Hi you just dont polishing body work before checking that you have enough paint on there to do so .A special paint prep is the way to go .And they will know if its possible to bring the paint up to 100%. They have a tool to say just how much paints on the part thats to be polished .Is the paint work car original ? any new wings or doors .The paint wont be the same all over the car, if the pnels have been replaced before.

OP
fidge

fidge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2013
Hi you just dont polishing body work before checking that you have enough paint on there to do so .A special paint prep is the way to go .And they will know if its possible to bring the paint up to 100%. They have a tool to say just how much paints on the part thats to be polished .Is the paint work car original ? any new wings or doors .The paint wont be the same all over the car, if the pnels have been replaced before.

Yep I know, I have a paint depth gauge to check the paint thickness.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Practise on you bonnet or boot lid and stay away from the edges, you can tape the edges with half inch /12mm masking tape. this will stop you from rubbing thru on the edges.
With a DA sander, you are likely to do less damage to paintwork.
Start off on a slow speed, and then as you get more confident you can increase the speed.
You will find that higher speed doesn't necessarily mean quicker or better polishing.
Turn the speed down for bumpers and plastic, and dont dwell on the one spot, keep the polisher moving at all times, as slowly as possible, and you will see results.
Never polish edges, let the polisher run over them at the end of the session. and never let the polisher feed into an edge. Get to know how the sponge pad runs, ie top half will run off an edge to the right, bottom half will catch the same edge, so tilt the polisher, so the bottom half doesn't touch the edge.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom