Advice needed

shellnjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl 500
Hi there all, just finally brought my dream car, SL500 2011 love it.
Never had any car like it and know very little.
My one concern is with the roll bar, when putting it up its is fine and goes up in one movement But when retracting it back down to close the roof back up, it is taking several presses of the the return button to get it back down, Can anyone tell me is this how it is or is this a fault? As still under warranty with garage I purchased from Which unfortunately is in Bristol quiet far from me as in south Derbyshire.
Just wanted some advice before mentioning it to garage.
Many thanks John

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi John and welcome
Great car, I just disposed of one recently...
Why are you putting the roll bar up?
It will deploy automatically if the car goes over(and ocassionally if going over a particularly high hump at speed :(), therefore leave it down...
Anyway on the few occasions i put mine up it did take a few presses to get back down. It takes quite some effort from the pse i would think.
Did you get a wind deflector with the car?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hi there all, just finally brought my dream car, SL500 2011 love it.
Never had any car like it and know very little.
My one concern is with the roll bar, when putting it up its is fine and goes up in one movement But when retracting it back down to close the roof back up, it is taking several presses of the the return button to get it back down, Can anyone tell me is this how it is or is this a fault? As still under warranty with garage I purchased from Which unfortunately is in Bristol quiet far from me as in south Derbyshire.
Just wanted some advice before mentioning it to garage.
Many thanks John

My 2004 SL500 has the same rollbar which goes up and down in one smooth motion so i would think yours has a fault. This might be something you can fix yourself, hopefully someone will come along with some advice.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My 2004 SL500 has the same rollbar which goes up and down in one smooth motion so i would think yours has a fault. This might be something you can fix yourself, hopefully someone will come along with some advice.

Think mine must have had a fault too - why am I not surprised ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
OP
S

shellnjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl 500
Hi John and welcome
Great car, I just disposed of one recently...
Why are you putting the roll bar up?
It will deploy automatically if the car goes over(and ocassionally if going over a particularly high hump at speed :(), therefore leave it down...
Anyway on the few occasions i put mine up it did take a few presses to get back down. It takes quite some effort from the pse i would think.
Did you get a wind deflector with the car?
Thanks yes putting it up for the wind deflector which is attached to roll bar.
As my wife said there's less wind with it up.

OP
S

shellnjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl 500
oh ok thanks could have an issue then......

Chandelierman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 2.2 Viano Ambiente / Smart 451 Brabus / MK8 Transit van camper
I bought a r230 a couple of weeks back and my roll bar is nice and smooth in operation

Chandelierman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 2.2 Viano Ambiente / Smart 451 Brabus / MK8 Transit van camper
But when my roof is up it is very squeaky inside the cabin .....but nice and quiet when it's down

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
But when my roof is up it is very squeaky inside the cabin .....but nice and quiet when it's down

You need to invest in some gummi pfledge and silicone spray...

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If you have a fault with the car , did you buy from a dealer ?...they should fix it for you .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You need to invest in some gummi pfledge and silicone spray...

Won't help much Craig, unfortunately these roofs have more rattles than Mothercare, it's just a trait.....roof down silent!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks yes putting it up for the wind deflector which is attached to roll bar.
As my wife said there's less wind with it up.

My wind deflector was seperate, which I think is better. Pop it up (I left mine up all the time) when the roof is down, windows up (rears too) and barely any wind encroachment there...

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Won't help much Craig, unfortunately these roofs have more rattles than Mothercare, it's just a trait.....roof down silent!

John...I know you don't have your SL any more so I don't feel guilty saying that my roof when up is actually very quiet, I had a few squeaks initially but they have gone since I Gummi'ed the weather seals.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
John...I know you don't have your SL any more so I don't feel guilty saying that my roof when up is actually very quiet, I had a few squeaks initially but they have gone since I Gummi'ed the weather seals.

:D gets better doesn't it?
I gummi'd mine every place I could think of, but my rattles were metallic, could NEVER get to the bottom of them...didnt bother me too much to be honest except on the occasions the car was being a pig, then it heightened my senses, if you know what I mean. I've seen mine on Safwat cars site now, looks stunnng

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
:D gets better doesn't it?
I gummi'd mine every place I could think of, but my rattles were metallic, could NEVER get to the bottom of them...didnt bother me too much to be honest except on the occasions the car was being a pig, then it heightened my senses, if you know what I mean. I've seen mine on Safwat cars site now, looks stunnng

I have seen your car on Safwat too. It does look nice but I don't think I would buy it knowing the issues you have had, who knows what else it may need in the future. You did well to p'ex it for the E63.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have seen your car on Safwat too. It does look nice but I don't think I would buy it knowing the issues you have had, who knows what else it may need in the future. You did well to p'ex it for the E63.

If I were in the market I'd consider it as Johns fixed all the problems now!;)

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
Is it me or are not the roll bar and wind deflector seperate entities, as my wind deflector is always left up and the roll bar is always left down ?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom