New Forum Style - Is it just me ???

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I've got a nice 27" monitor but the forum only takes up the centre section leaving about 5" of spare screen at each side, is this because it's set up for mobile screens or can it be changed? Every forum or internet page I've ever used takes up the whole screen apart from this one.

Russ

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
To be honest, I suspected that there was a financial problem & this was a cheaper option.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I've got used to it and don't find it slow. I think any change is a pain because you keep trying to do things the old way I certainly dbut that's just force of habit.

As others have said it would really help to present posts in descending order (newest first).

btw: In this version you can use Office type shortcuts on text i.e.:
Highlight text then Ctrl+B for Bold on/off; Ctrl+I for Italics; Ctrl + C for Copy Ctrl + V for Paste

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
From what I can remember of the 'Old Site', there was a 'button' for Today's Posts. I always use New Posts but, if I look at something, and then go away, and then later consider that I may have something to add to a current topic previously viewed, then the option is not there.

The 'work around' is to go Members > Recent Activity, but that is somewhat tedious.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
How do I send a PM on this new forum software?

I can see they are now called 'conversations', I can type one & preview it but I'm buggered if I can see a send button.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
I've got used to it and don't find it slow. I think any change is a pain because you keep trying to do things the old way I certainly dbut that's just force of habit.

As others have said it would really help to present posts in descending order (newest first).

btw: In this version you can use Office type shortcuts on text i.e.:
Highlight text then Ctrl+B for Bold on/off; Ctrl+I for Italics; Ctrl + C for Copy Ctrl + V for Paste
Dave,
strange, but that's exactly as mine presents! I view the forum on my iPhone 6. It may be down to settings selected...
I do have trouble with 'new posts' often the listing isn't accurate or recent posts are not there?

I'm not the best at this stuff.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
I've tried switching off and on again, giving it a bash up the side of the screen and ef'in an blinding at it - no change.
Dunno what else technical to do.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
How do I send a PM on this new forum software?

I can see they are now called 'conversations', I can type one & preview it but I'm buggered if I can see a send button.
Top right corner - your name & avatar - next to that "Inbox" - hover over that

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Whoever designed the 'ignore' feature on this forum deserves a medal, it's the best I've ever seen.

Usually on most forums, if, for example, you have elected to filter a particularly annoying (over)poster you can still see that they have posted, even if the substance(sic) of their post is blank. On this forum, once ignored it's like they never even joined.

Brilliant.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Now I have had a chance to familiarise myself with the new software I think it's great, love it. I can't even remember what the old one was like now :)

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As others, have got used to it now, and quite like it :)
Still think marking forums read shouldn't require two clicks, but that's the only thing now ...

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Whoever designed the 'ignore' feature on this forum deserves a medal, it's the best I've ever seen.

Usually on most forums, if, for example, you have elected to filter a particularly annoying (over)poster you can still see that they have posted, even if the substance(sic) of their post is blank. On this forum, once ignored it's like they never even joined.

Brilliant.

Yes I used this today. Saved a lot of headache

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Probbably I will add it to the list. (Makes note to start list....)

I'm fairly used to the new format now. When a system changes like this there are inevitably comparisons where everyone was used to doing things this way/that way so there's bound to be a settling in period... I still think the speed with which it was installed and changed over - plus the lack of any serious issues, was frankly superb!

WANTS
One thing I really would like is reverse sequence of posts within a thread (i.e.: show the latest first).

FUNNIES
Sometimes I see the last post was e.g.: (user XXXX on Mmm, dd yyyy) and say I post something myself - why does the previous posting still show as the last post - sometimes even after logging off and signing in again ?

POSTING SPACE
Not sure if this has been highlighted - if I post a single line, why does it take up so much room - like about 1/4 of a page? No big deal - the only issue with this is it means having to page (down) more often when looking for something.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I was not here before the change but assuming it was Vbulletin software then my biggest gripe is that there does not seem to be a way to mark an individual section as read.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was not here before the change but assuming it was Vbulletin software then my biggest gripe is that there does not seem to be a way to mark an individual section as read.
When you're in a subforum you want to mark as read, you'll have a choice of either that subforum or the entire forum:

35085986823_b6b29136c1_o.png

However, if you're on the main forum page, and click Mark Forums Read, then it's everything.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom