Retrofittable Adaptive Brake Light System

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
After many months of development, tests, prototypes, trials, etc, I have now completed the task, and am ready to offer to fellow car enthusiasts, an intelligent adaptive brake light system, with essentially the same functionality, as the high-end Mercedes built-in one, but at a fraction of the cost, and fully independent of the vehicle's computer system. In fact, the idea was to be able to fit it to a 30-yr car, and that's what I have achieved.

My FLASH••A••BRAKE™ system will know, not only when you brake hard, but also the direction of travel, which is its unique feature - who wants the third light to flash, when you go over a speed bump - and will alert other road users to the emergency braking, just like the factory-built adaptive brake light systems in the latest top end Mercedes and some other marques.

Unlike those cheap Chinese strobe units, it is legal and fully compliant with the current regulations, as it will only flash, when rapid deceleration in primary direction is detected, and will not fail you an MOT.

The system can be retrofitted into almost any car, and is small enough to be fitted inside a tailgate trim, or a boot lid, etc. A simple DIY installation is all that's required - the unit sits between your existing third brake light, and the signal wire from either the SAM, or the brake sensor in older cars. The only additional requirement is an 'ignition on' 12V feed.

It can also be fitted to flash all brake lights, but please check with me, and consult your manual as to the wattage of your light bulbs (particularly for older cars), but realistically, unless you have flood light projectors for your brake lights, it'll be perfectly alright.

The unit will be supplied with a top of the range, genuine 3M Dual-Lock mounting pads, and a high density, closed cell, anti-vibration pad, to ensure best possible fitting and prevent it becoming dislodged over time. It can be mounted in any position, at any angle, etc.

If a DIY install is not something you're comfortable with, a professional should be able to fit the unit in 10-15 minutes tops, so shouldn't be too expensive.

Whether your priority is improved safety, or the cool factor, or indeed both (as it was for me) - FLASH••A••BRAKE™ will deliver!

The unit is priced at £155, which includes a tracked delivery in the UK.

I shall be more than happy to offer a 10% discount to MBO members - just mention your forum name.

Payments can be made by credit/debit cards; PayPal or bank transfer.
No surcharges for credit cards or PayPal, but I can't take AmEx or Diners.
Please ask for PayPal email, as it is not the same as below.
At this time there's no VAT to pay.

The website with the online shop is not up yet, but I'll keep the forum updated - shouldn't be too long now.

Any questions - please PM or email, either via forum, or directly to: info @ keepnessrobotics . com

David

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well done David in getting it to market!

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Alastair!
Almost there - just need to get the website up, and get someone to do a short promotional video ...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hey hey! Well done! Really glad to see you've managed to bring this to market!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks Alastair!
Almost there - just need to get the website up, and get someone to do a short promotional video ...

If you need an older vehicle to demo it in... ;)

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you need an older vehicle to demo it in... ;)
That might be not such a bad idea :geek: If you can get someone to follow you and do the video.
I was planning to drop by Malcolm's tomorrow, if that's convenient - we can talk ...

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey hey! Well done! Really glad to see you've managed to bring this to market!
Thanks Craig, your input was invaluable! The first batch is ready, we'll get together to talk about v1.2 ...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks Craig, your input was invaluable! The first batch is ready, we'll get together to talk about v1.2 ...

By all means- just let me know!

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
Nice one David

I'm so happy to see that you've managed to get your idea & plan up to the marketing stage.

I'll look forward to seeing the video if you & Alastair hook up tomorrow

David R

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks David. I'll keep you (and the forum) posted :)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Indeed well done +1 !

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That might be not such a bad idea :geek: If you can get someone to follow you and do the video.
I was planning to drop by Malcolm's tomorrow, if that's convenient - we can talk ...
I can probably drop by about lunch time? Failing that after 5.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Maybe the name FLASH-A-BRAKE needs work?
Especially the FLASH-A bit. Might give some the wrong ideas!

Get the forum to come up with smooth marketing jargon.

Sounds a great piece of kit.

Umble

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Definitely sounds like a good bit of kit, definitely interested...

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First few units already been assembled, tested and are available to purchase.

Free set of aftermarket black laurel roadster wheel caps to the member who places the first order ;)

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can probably drop by about lunch time? Failing that after 5.
Sounds good. I'll PM you my mobile number, text me when you know your time

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Evening... So I've been thinking, quick question, so my W202 doesn't have a third brake light, could this system still be installed...?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And as I understand it it will work with the main brake lights just as it would with a third brake light. I think it just needs wiring differently.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Evening... So I've been thinking, quick question, so my W202 doesn't have a third brake light, could this system still be installed...?

Absolutely. The reason why I emphasised a third brake light, is because it is often easier to get to in terms of a DIY retrofit.
The unit can be fitted immediately after SAM (or a brake light signal source), and will flash all brake lights, just like Mercedes OE adaptive brake light does.

Top Bottom