Time to replace the CLK ragtop

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Having now sold the CLK drop top, it's now time to replace it with something a bit newer!

Fortunately I can push the budget this time round and this will get me into facelifted E's, late model SLK's and possibly even an SLC!

I like the idea of getting a 4 seater but was really wondering if the extra seats in the E are really useable as in the CLK there really wasn't any room behind the drivers seat and even with the passenger seat forward a bit it was still pretty crapped in the back.

Was wondering what the forums view on the SLC are, is it any good or would a late model SLK be a better bet, presuming all the bugs and gremlins were ironed out? What are the smaller drop tops like for space inside, I'm no 9 stone stick insect and wouldn't like to feel cramped or hemmed in!

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Jules

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The extra seats are indeed worth it.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Having now sold the CLK drop top, it's now time to replace it with something a bit newer!

Fortunately I can push the budget this time round and this will get me into facelifted E's, late model SLK's and possibly even an SLC!

I like the idea of getting a 4 seater but was really wondering if the extra seats in the E are really useable as in the CLK there really wasn't any room behind the drivers seat and even with the passenger seat forward a bit it was still pretty crapped in the back.

Was wondering what the forums view on the SLC are, is it any good or would a late model SLK be a better bet, presuming all the bugs and gremlins were ironed out? What are the smaller drop tops like for space inside, I'm no 9 stone stick insect and wouldn't like to feel cramped or hemmed in!

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Jules

I have the facelift E350 Coupe and although it's a two door passengers find the rear very comfortable and more than enough space, that said put a couple of 6 foot plus people in tandem...
Can't comment yet on reliability or gremlins, but I love the comfort and balance of performance vs economy.
You would be advised to test drive, or view up close of course.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
In my part of the country (north Kent) there is a trader with 50+ Recent MBs on display - great for narrowing your search to specific models.

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Hi and thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately now I'm overseas getting to take cars for a test drive is a bit more on the difficult side!!!, hence trying to get as much info and advice from the forum as the advice is honest and unbiased.

The E would be the ideal option due to the additional practicality of the extra space gives even if it just for getting a bit more shopping etc in the rear as the boots are a bit tight for space even with the roof up but parking can be a bit of a problem so a slightly smaller car does make parking a bit more easy and of course would leave a bit more space in my garage to store my junk and crap!!!

Frosty149, I used to live in Ramsgate so I think the company you refer to is DWP Leisure?, the advertise on eBay and Autotrader and they do normally have aa decent selection and if I were still in Ramsgate I'd have popped over and had a mooch.

I have driven a early W212 and wasn't dissappoimted but I do understand that the facelifeted version, although having the same designation is in effect a totally different drive and much better car so I am sure it'll give a good drive. My '06 B class has the sport pack option so it's lowered with stiffer suspension with larger wheels and that drives OK here in Malta and the roads in some instances are pretty shocking so fairly confident that a more modern car will drive better especially if I do go down the E route due to the longer wheelbase.

Still though would be grateful for any comments concerning the SLK and SLC as they are an option for use.

Thanks again

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have driven a early W212 and wasn't dissappoimted but I do understand that the facelifeted version, although having the same designation is in effect a totally different drive and much better car so I am sure it'll give a good drive. My '06 B class has the sport pack option so it's lowered with stiffer suspension with larger wheels and that drives OK here in Malta and the roads in some instances are pretty shocking so fairly confident that a more modern car will drive better especially if I do go down the E route due to the longer wheelbase

The E Class convertible is not a W212, it is designated a A207 which is a W204 chassis with W212 bits bolted on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_E-Class_(C207)

A 350 CDi would be / is superb

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I have driven a early W212 and wasn't dissappoimted but I do understand that the facelifeted version, although having the same designation is in effect a totally different drive and much better car so I am sure it'll give a good drive. My '06 B class has the sport pack option so it's lowered with stiffer suspension with larger wheels and that drives OK here in Malta and the roads in some instances are pretty shocking so fairly confident that a more modern car will drive better especially if I do go down the E route due to the longer wheelbase.

Still though would be grateful for any comments concerning the SLK and SLC as they are an option for use.

Thanks again

What Jon said, plus:

the 212 pre and post facelift mark the change from statuesque/ stately to spirited/ sportier. This is achieved principally through suspension & steering response settings rather than significant design change.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If you wanted to go younger there's always the E400...

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
In Malta, I would opt for a fixed head with good aircon - and, within Merc reason, as small a car as possible - and not too new or valuable.

Parking is a permanent nightmare, with many locals using the 'ouch' method to squeeze into impossible spaces.

Traffic is horrendous and daily getting worse. Driving standards are a permanent accident waiting to happen. The roads are dreadful, and are suspension killers. Dpf's clog up because there is almost nowwhere to give the car some welly.

Just my slightly biased take on the subject.

Umble

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Malta? Is that where the OP is going to have the car?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes it would seem so. Under his signature:
W245 06/06 B180 SE CDI CVT (Now living in Malta)

Umble.
Aha not seeing that information - think I need to change my forum settings!

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Hi all,

Yes the car will be purchased in the UK and I'll have a driving holiday to bring her down to Malta

Actually I need to reset my own personal info as I've now moved to Malta on a permanent basis myself a couple of months ago but I've had the B class over here for a good number of years, possibly even 4 so I know the roads can be dreadful and the driving standards do need a lot to be desired.

The CLK replacement be garaged over night but I am all to aware of the nudge methodology of parking, I get fed up of bashing out the dents in the number plate of the B!

The E400 would be a fab car but unfortunately the registration fees for it are quite high so will have to pass on that, I've even looked at SL's but again the same situation as an E400 and it would stretch the budget too much, hence I've settled on either an E or SLK/SLC.

My biggest concern with the E are the exceedingly high UV levels, 9 or 10 are very common during the summer months so I am concerned of potentially damaging effects on the soft top fabric, any thoughts on that?

Deffo needs to be a convertible, a coupe isn't going to be an option, but that's the advantage of a convertible, you have a coupe when the tops up and windows down and all Mercs have a/c but I prefer to have the windows down rather than have the car shut up with the a/c on, usually just use the a/c to cool the car and get the windows down asap!

Keep the comments coming, thanks again all.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice island! But its smaller cousin is better, of course.

The Merc dealer, as you probably know, is Kinds - opposite the Technopark. I have found them pathetic (they are also the island's Dacia dealers!).

There aren't too many convertibles on Malta because of the heat, so yours should attract attention (like 'Mad dogs and Englishmen .....'). Get a dashboard glove to save the fascia warping - and a windscreen roller blind (Banks often give them away during festa times).

And make sure the aircon works well if you buy a UK car - I used to import cars into Malta from the UK before I retired, and aircons often did not work through lack of use.

Great island, but they want out of the EU now they have milked it. That can be a worry for some ex-pats.

Umble

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Gozo is the nicer of the two islands, that's why the Maltese invade Gozo on public holidays!!!

Got to say the B has faired remarkably well against most imports but a lot do come in from Japan and the plastic headlamps cloud to buggery whereas the B's are still fine. Know what you mean about air con, the B's wasn't working so had to get that repaired as you say due to lack of use, although I shouldn't have that issue as firstly I now know about it and I'm looking at a nearly new car unlike the B which was a few years old when I got her!

I know Kinds very well. I use them for the service work on the B so I have a good relationship with them and they aren't so far up their own backsides to be sniffy and troublesome about servicing UK imported cars. How comes you find them pathetic? I've never had an issue with them. I know I could get the work done cheaper by using one of the many garages here but I know by using Kinds I am getting genuine parts and won't have a spanner monkey bodging anything when they done have a MB specific tool and they give you the original parts they remove to show they have changed a part they say they are going to change and not pretend the work was done when it wasn't!!!!

There are many more convertibles on the island than there used to be since they joined the EU as more people and companies have a much cheaper ready supply from the UK and the Irish Republic so I won't be sticking out like a sore thumb and I've seen quiet a few E's here along with BMW's, Audi's, Porkers to name but s few. Window reflector blinds are a must and get used on both of my vehicles, the other is a Mitsubishi L200 Walkinshaw edition.

Can't see Malta leaving the EU as they still have works here that they can't afford to do on there own from local taxation so they need EU funds to get them done. As far as I can see the only country removing themselves from the EU is the UK and that'll probably be a huge worry for ex-pats but hey only time will tell, let's see what sort of deal Teresa May and her merry bunch of cohorts puts together, but god I hope she gets better advice than that to call a snap general election!!!

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Parking is a permanent nightmare, with many locals using the 'ouch' method to squeeze into impossible spaces.
(Which is a pain with hire cars.....)
Traffic is horrendous and daily getting worse. Driving standards are a permanent accident waiting to happen. The roads are dreadful, and are suspension killers. Dpf's clog up because there is almost nowwhere to give the car some welly.
Umble

Haha you're right about the worsening traffic jams, we were over in late May (we go at least once a year) and noticed a huge increase in jams this year! ...went in Oct last year for the Grand Prix :) :) great fun.

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Small island, growing population wanting a car each, a fixed road network and most people going to or leaving work at the same time means longer jams unfortunately but that's the same everywhere!

Hopefully though things will be a bit more bearable in the new drop top!!!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe I'm being a bit hard on Kinds. I also used them when I had a Scenic (they're Renault dealers as well), and it was with the Scenic that they gave me the runaround - so I stopped using them. With a newish Merc you will keep service continuity by using them, so that makes sense. They are also on Gozo now.

When the Maltese come over for public holidays, they leave their unwanted pets behind! Feral dogs and cats are getting to be a problem on Gozo! Strange that the people on two islands such a short distance apart, with the same ancestry, culture and language can be so diametrically different!

I always drive between the UK and Malta - my wife hates being treated as cattle with air travel.

Enjoy your life on Malta. It's great.

Umble

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Indeed the difference in the 2 islands is really quite remarkable!

My wife is Maltese and after 25 years plus together we decided it was time to make the move, was something we always planned to do and in that time I've seen a huge change here, sadly to say much of it not for the better.

It seems from my conversations with Kinds I have a much different mentality and a pragmatic view of car ownership and maintenance than the average Maltese driver/owner and I think that helps with my relationship them, they are never worried about trying to explain that I have a problem with the car and it'll cost money to fix. For the service work back in the U.K. I stopped using main dealers as both the cars didn't have a FMBSH so I used a local indy garage but wouldn't trust a local garage here to have the right tools, knowledge or diagnostic equipment so I'm happy to use Kinds, perhaps you can re-try them, things may have changed?

Driven to Malta myself, twice and one time was in the B. Was a nice drive down but was too quick to really enjoy, done it 3 days, thru France and Italy, hop over the Sicily and the catamaran over to Malta. Planes can be like cattle trucks but I have used Air Malta club/business class a few times and that is much more civilised but you still have to deal with the airports themselves.

Just settling into the new life and things look good and hopefully will only get better!

Time to get a coffee and sit in the garden and enjoy a nice still morning before the sun comes out and fries use all to death!!!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom