Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics !!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just to counter this....
Back in the 80s we ran a Mini 1275GT in the old B&H production car series. We found that a pair of front tyres (bear in mind these were road tyres) would last just under 2 hours. Fuel would last just over 2 hours. This created a problem for a 6 hour race.
We spoke to a tyre expert and he recommended we buff the new tyres to the profile the car wore them to.
We were sceptical that removing tread would make the tyres last longer but it worked!
By buffing the tread to the same profile as the car would wear them to the tread blocks moved around less hence there was less heat in the tyre and they lasted better. We managed to get through the 6 hour race with just three sets of fronts, one set of rears and three tanks of fuel (which meant only three stops instead of the four we expected before buffing the tyres).

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Thanks all for the feedback and advice. I have 2 choices to fix the problem. Replace the GY F1's with Conti's (the safe option) or replace the front part worn Conti's with GY (the leap of faith option).

You've convinced me to go with the all GY option. I'll let you know how it pans out.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
For what its worth I think thats the best decision.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Just to counter this....
Back in the 80s we ran a Mini 1275GT in the old B&H production car series. We found that a pair of front tyres (bear in mind these were road tyres) would last just under 2 hours. Fuel would last just over 2 hours. This created a problem for a 6 hour race.
We spoke to a tyre expert and he recommended we buff the new tyres to the profile the car wore them to.
We were sceptical that removing tread would make the tyres last longer but it worked!
By buffing the tread to the same profile as the car would wear them to the tread blocks moved around less hence there was less heat in the tyre and they lasted better. We managed to get through the 6 hour race with just three sets of fronts, one set of rears and three tanks of fuel (which meant only three stops instead of the four we expected before buffing the tyres).

I guess it all depends on the compounds these days, we used to buff down the Khumo tyres for the HQ Series, I guess that was to take away the shiny new bits with no grip? The buffing to the car wearing profile kind of makes sense too. I put a second set of 008R on my race car and the ex-race car driver said just be aware at Oulton Park that these half worn tyres will let go at Druids corner if it is damp............He was 100% right :(

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
For what its worth I think thats the best decision.

Well you were spot on - as were others who agreed with you. I put 2 new GY F1's on the front and the car drives better than it ever has. Fixed the problem and some. Fantastic.

Even after 45 years of driving you can still learn! I would never have considered a front/rear tyre mismatch could cause such severe handling issues but that's a given for me now.

Thanks once again for all the help/advice and I hope this will be useful knowledge for others.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have them on one of my cars, and so far I have not noticed anything, I would try them a touch lower and see, I never have my car fully laden either.

They felt good on the front of the CL500, but after the wheel refurb the car felt awful! Really jumpy and twitchy
Then I discovered they were at 36 psi.
Dropped that back to 30, 31 and all is good again. ( note 2 people 2 cases upmto 130 mph should be 29, 32 ... I run the backs slightly lower as the roads around our village roads are maintained to Nigerian Standards!

So seems a common attribute.
They dont like being over pressured.

? Over 130mph my handbook states some crazy high numbers ... boy they would feel pretty horrible up at those pressures.

On balance my favourite tyres were Perelli Rosso P Zeros on an SL .

Wozza14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
Why would anyone run mix match tyres......I wouldn't even do this to my push bike let alone the car it surely its common sense they arent going to work hand in hand....apologies to be harsh but.......

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Why would anyone run mix match tyres......I wouldn't even do this to my push bike let alone the car it surely its common sense they arent going to work hand in hand....apologies to be harsh but.......
Unfortunately I inherited the tyres with the car purchase, with new shitty tyres on the front, I've now worn the rears out and need to replace them.
I can't afford to write off the good fronts and will have to live with the compromise until they wear out.
Good for you if you can ditch part worn fronts....

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018

Well, because I've always been led to believe, like some others on here, that it shouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't mix different tyres on the same axle. I've had different tyres on front and rear many times on different cars with no appreciable impact on handling.

I've always tried to find the best tyre at time of purchase, by looking at reviews and ratings. This time it caught me out as the GY was obviously "next generation" compared to the Conti's. The incompatibility was extreme this time around.

Wozza14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
Just had to buy new fronts conti they were 150 each.....I see frosty you have a e coupe ....FYI..usually last about 10k to 12k miles......Dealer wanted 220 each....ouch...

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Just had to buy new fronts conti they were 150 each.....I see frosty you have a e coupe ....FYI..usually last about 10k to 12k miles......Dealer wanted 220 each....ouch...
That's right, I can't afford 4 new tyres straight off, so I'm trying to find the best allrounders for the rear...
It looks like whatever I choose the fronts will still outlast them!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
There are 10's of thousands of cars on the road with different tyres front and back, many work perfectly well together but some don't for some reason.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Load of different advice going on, so to clear it up:

1. The tyres with the most tread should always be put on the rear (provided you have the same size all round). This is for stability under braking particularly in the wet

I can certainly see the logic in this, but I have always put the new pair (always the same tyres all round, but always renew in pairs, at around 3mm left) on the front, because I consider steering to be most important.
I can see I need to do some research! :D

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/better-tyres-in-the-front-or-rear-test-results

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^^^ He he ... no compromise here - FWD ;):cool:o_O

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom