New owner. Help needed

PhilSanni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 SE CDI AUTO
Hi all.

I collected my new Merc yesterday.

The car is a E220 SE CDI AUTO. First registered in 2013, one previous owner. I bought it in a private sale, not through a dealer.

The car is fantastic in every way, except for one problem. The seat.

The lumber support in the driver's seat is one big swollen bulge that digs into my spine in the middle of my back. I've had back problems for years. Though I've never experienced any problems with any of my previous cars. I'm five feet seven approximately.

The handling on this car is amazing. I love driving it, but the seat is terrible and now my back is killing me. There are no lumbar adjustments whatsoever on any of the seats.

It has been suggested that I take it to a vehicle upholsterer who can shave off the bulge. But there are airbags installed on the side of the seat's recline. Would a vehicle upholsterer still be able to do the adjustment with airbags in ?

Failing that can I order a replacement seat with lumbar adjustment for an E220 SE CDI AUTO ? Or any other kind of seat, for that matter, one that doesn't have the same dreadful design that's making my life such a misery.

Where could I order/buy such a seat in the UK ? I've checked the internet, I can't seem to find anything, except on ebay, whose seats don't appear compatible with my car.

My seat controls are installed on the door of the vehicle, by the way. I've tried adjusting it every which way, Nothing works.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The vehicle upholsterer should be your first stop , yes they would know all about seat airbags because this is their business .
I'm sure the cost of a new seat would make your eyes water .

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Have you read the handbook about your seat controls? What controls are on the door? I would have thought with the controls there, it should include a control to reduce the amount of lumbar support.

When you say nothing works, do you mean that or is it that you can't get an adjustment to suit you. If it is because nothing, literally works, I would get the system checked out by MB. Unfortunately, the car is out of warranty and you will have to pay them but it might be worthwhile if they sort out your problem.

Incidentally, a friend of ours just bought a bargain of a new E Class AMG Sport...the first owner bought it down south, drove it home to Edinburgh - straight to the dealership there because the front seats were so uncomfortable. The garage wouldn't change the seats at any price so he changed the car to one with more comfortable seats!

Ernie

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Have you read the manual, quite a few Mercs have seat adjustment on the door but the Lumbar pillow is elsewhere?
Is on mine. Fully inflated would be horrendous!

Have you checked what option codes the car came with? You might get a nice surprise.

OP
P

PhilSanni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 SE CDI AUTO
Hi submariner. Yeah, seat controls are on the door.

No controls however for lumbar adjustment.

What option codes are you referring to ?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hi submariner. Yeah, seat controls are on the door.

No controls however for lumbar adjustment.

What option codes are you referring to ?

Have a look on the side of the base of the seat. Should be a round button with 4 indentations.

OP
P

PhilSanni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 SE CDI AUTO
Thanks Mr Filipov.

The button that you mention is actually there. But when you press it, it doesn't do anything. Do I need to switch it on from somewhere else ?

I had assumed that button was just another way to adjust the seat forward or backward or tilt etc. But it did nothing if you pressed it anyway so I just ignored it.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Mr Filipov.

The button that you mention is actually there. But when you press it, it doesn't do anything. Do I need to switch it on from somewhere else ?

I had assumed that button was just another way to adjust the seat forward or backward or tilt etc. But it did nothing if you pressed it anyway so I just ignored it.
That's the button for the lumbar adjustment! If it does nothing, there's something wrong. Suggest you get it to MB and have it checked out.

Ernie

OP
P

PhilSanni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 SE CDI AUTO
Hi everyone.

Gawd, I'm so happy right now.

@LostKiwi @ernieh @Mr Filipov @Submariner1

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart, because without you I probably would have never resolved this problem.

Yes, the button on the side of the seat is the lumbar adjustment.

Problem was I checked again yesterday but I didn't know how to make it work. I thought it was broken, so I went to my mechanic today to see if anything can be done to fix it. It turns out all you had to do was flick a small switch on the door handle. I never even knew that switch was there. In fact, it took even the mechanic a while to find it. But when he did, everything worked like magic. You flip the switch, you turn on the engine, you dial in the adjustment and hey presto, evil bump gone.

I'm on top of the world right. I can't believe I was actually thinking of ditching this vehicle for something as simple as this. Matter of fact I had already put down a reserve on a GLA 4matic that I test drove on Thursday at motorpoint. My heart really wasn't really in it though. I really really wanted to hold on to my E-Class. And now I can !

Deep appreciation, guys. This forum is great !

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Great result there!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
That's what it's all about. Well done everyone:):):)

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi everyone.

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart, because without you I probably would have never resolved this problem.

Problem was I checked again yesterday but I didn't know how to make it work. I thought it was broken, so I went to my mechanic today to see if anything can be done to fix it. It turns out all you had to do was flick a small switch on the door handle. I never even knew that switch was there. In fact, it took even the mechanic a while to find it. But when he did, everything worked like magic. You flip the switch, you turn on the engine, you dial in the adjustment and hey presto, evil bump gone.

I'm on top of the world right. I can't believe I was actually thinking of ditching this vehicle for something as simple as this. Matter of fact I had already put down a reserve on a GLA 4matic that I test drove on Thursday at motorpoint. My heart really wasn't really in it though. I really really wanted to hold on to my E-Class. And now I can !

Really glad you got it sorted...and I bet so is your wallet!! With the drive problems on some 4WD 4-Matics you should be doubly glad!

Ernie

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi everyone.

Very pleased you are happy :)
Its actually worth reading the manual cover to cover. A complete pig of a job.
But some of the highly specced cars are devils ...
Some of the functions are via buttons, then some are via Comand and others are via the dash menu.
What throws me is when part of the control is in 2 places.
Lighting being a good example, what with "Cornering" and "Motorway" beam, and Intelligent Lighting :-/ and the criteria that has to be met for a certain element to work.
Or the bonnet catch, once mine wasnt quite shut 100% .... I thought the wiper motor had died ... of course discovered this as I drove off in pelting weather! A quick slam and all back to normal!

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hi everyone.

Glad you got it sorted and are happy with the car.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom