Very slight creaking noise, like a rusty spring in upright of driver seat

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Nearing the end of the "getting her up to spec" project. So now getting ultra picky.
I can sometimes hear a very, very slight creak like noise as you lean back. As though a rusty spring was creaking where it is secured.

Only noticeable when your right shoulder blade, presses back into the seat, as say if you settle into the seat. Doesnt happen as you drive along.

Its so minor its inaudible if say the radio is even on quietly, or your are driving, or the windows are open. Its so minor I wouldnt do it unless it gets worse.

Q. Is it easy to take the back off the drivers seat?

... Thinking I might spray some silicone spray on any springs I can see in there?

Sometimes things like this can be simply cured especially if caught before any wear has set in.

Or is this a nightmare seat out job ?

I saw this video ... OK its a W221 but some things are similar
Hmmm I didn't see any obvious springs .

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Try moving the seat through the full range of its motion in every plane , to see if that helps .

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The seats are easy to take out. Four bolts. But...they are very heavy.

The back just pulls off.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The seat back has two screws at the bottom. Tilt the seat fully forward, then move fully forward, then get in the rear passenger footwell with a stubby pozidriv. Feel under the bottom edge and you'll find them. Take those screws out, the seat back slides off down and back and you have access to the internals.

Removing the seat is four T20 or T24 Torx bolts. As Ciaran said, the seats are really heavy. I know- I had a donor seat delivered. It came on a pallet with a measured weight of 84kg!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Some of the diff oil from your drive will be the ideal lubricant ;)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Very easy to get the back off.

W221's are common for having broken seat frames. My passenger side seat has an annoying creaking noise. From jiggling it around from the rear seat it feels like its coming from the left rail that runs along the seat adjustment track.

Its probably that this frame is broken too and I just cant be bothered with taking the whole seat out, then the seats to bits, to replace the frame. So I live it with, much to my continued annoyance.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The seat back has two screws at the bottom. Tilt the seat fully forward, then move fully forward, then get in the rear passenger footwell with a stubby pozidriv. Feel under the bottom edge and you'll find them. Take those screws out, the seat back slides off down and back and you have access to the internals.

Removing the seat is four T20 or T24 Torx bolts. As Ciaran said, the seats are really heavy. I know- I had a donor seat delivered. It came on a pallet with a measured weight of 84kg!

Thanks Craig
Mine doesnt have those 2 screws :-/
The noise is so minor I wouldnt bother taking the seats out ... as I know how heavy they are.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

W221's are common for having broken seat frames. My passenger side seat has an annoying creaking noise. From jiggling it around from the rear seat it feels like its coming from the left rail that runs along the seat adjustment track.

Its probably that this frame is broken too and I just cant be bothered with taking the whole seat out, then the seats to bits, to replace the frame. So I live it with, much to my continued annoyance.

On mine the whole seat is perfectly secured, you can wiggle it as much as you like .. totslly silent.
Its only if you push your finger circa where the centre of your shoulder blade is do you get this tiny graunch when you push it.
Or if you settle into the seat and press back with your shoulder blades can you hear it once, as you sit back. Driving around its silent.

It sounds like a metal spring thats hooked into a metal frame is graunching ... but wierdly doesnt make the sound when you press near the edge of the seat frame .. only if you press nearer the middle.
:-/

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Funny if you are like me how a tiny noise can **** you off, you almost find yourself waiting for it to happen.

Odd the wheels can be hammering up and down like a pack of jack rabbits, (due to our crappy roads) and still be utterly silent. And then a slight press occaisionslly on a seat back, and it creaks!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To access the two screws, you need to remove the fabric strap that goes under the seat and fold it up, this will reveal the screws.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny if you are like me how a tiny noise can **** you off, you almost find yourself waiting for it to happen.

Odd the wheels can be hammering up and down like a pack of jack rabbits, (due to our crappy roads) and still be utterly silent. And then a slight press occaisionslly on a seat back, and it creaks!

Drives me absolutely insane too.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
To access the two screws, you need to remove the fabric strap that goes under the seat and fold it up, this will reveal the screws.
Thanks Alex
Looks like that cloth cover is pulled taught by elastic straps, that go under the seat. Have tonraise it to see how they are secured at the front , the elastic is sewn to the cloth cover at the back
IMG_4875.JPG

Do you think the C216 is just like the 221 i.e. After removing the 2 screws, just pull the back plate off down?
I do have 2 vent holes in the back of the seats ... I am assuming they are just in front of the in or out air vents for the seats, and not connected to tubes or anything.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Hmmm funny who iphones make jet black look like light grey :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes according to Wis should be undo the screws then slide the panel downwards. The vents aren't connected to anything.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom