Project CLK55 AMG

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Hi Sacha, whats the cost of the steering retrim and how difficult is it to remove please?

Cheers
Hi, it's £145 for the wheel at Hide N Seat and £55 for the gearknob. I'm thinking of having the gaitor done while I'm at it as well. Removal should be pretty straightforward if it's anything like previous steering wheels, on the back there are 2 holes to shove something like a screwdriver down and pop the airbag off (after disconnecting the battery for a good few hours) and then disconnect the electrical plugs for the wheel controls and remove the centre nut. Pop it in a box and send it away. I've already done the gearknob which is fairly simple to remove but a bit fiddly to take the start button and microswitch out of.

Also, hate to nitpick but it's Sasha, there's no c. It bothers me when people spell it wrong!!!

John Tinsley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 240 AVANTGARDE cabriolet
"Also, hate to nitpick but it's Sasha, there's no c. It bothers me when people spell it wrong!!!"......Your privilege...Sorry. Thank you very much for your reply.

Cheers

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
It's ok, I'll let you know what's really entailed when I take it apart on Wednesday-Thursday:)

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Hi, it's £145 for the wheel at Hide N Seat and £55 for the gearknob. I'm thinking of having the gaitor done while I'm at it as well. Removal should be pretty straightforward if it's anything like previous steering wheels, on the back there are 2 holes to shove something like a screwdriver down and pop the airbag off (after disconnecting the battery for a good few hours) and then disconnect the electrical plugs for the wheel controls and remove the centre nut. Pop it in a box and send it away. I've already done the gearknob which is fairly simple to remove but a bit fiddly to take the start button and microswitch out of.

Also, hate to nitpick but it's Sasha, there's no c. It bothers me when people spell it wrong!!!

Sorry literally burst out laughing reading this haha! (Apologies John lol)

Does look a bit grim inside now but it'll look good soon enough!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Was going to say. I met him and he struck me as a boorish overbearing cnut.
Strangely no, met him in Rotterdam couple of years back and honestly came over as a genuine gent -chatted to him for 3,4 hours and enjoyed the banter...
Even next morning he appeared for breakfast in the hotel and I couldn't resist shouting over to him asking if he wanted eggs, seriously was amused !!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes

The airbag is indeed removed via two holes on the back of the wheel, but you'll need a long torx tool to undo the screws. 10mm Allen bolt holds the wheel to the column, which will be quite tight. Use a good fitting tool to avoid rounding it out. There are alignment marks to get the wheel back on in the right place. They become visible once the bolt is removed. You'll get an esp fault if you misalign it on refitting.

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
That's great info, thanks :) I assumed it would be like my Volvo which holds the airbag on with spring clips. I'll be sure to take care when doing the job, much like the gearknob which I have to be honest was more luck then judgement. I didn't twist it, I just pulled it. Good thing I did as if I'd had twisted it I'd have broken the start buttons connections!! Talk about a proper blonde moment ;)

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
That's great info, thanks :) I assumed it would be like my Volvo which holds the airbag on with spring clips. I'll be sure to take care when doing the job, much like the gearknob which I have to be honest was more luck then judgement. I didn't twist it, I just pulled it. Good thing I did as if I'd had twisted it I'd have broken the start buttons connections!! Talk about a proper blonde moment ;)

Blimey. The gear lever has a quarter turn twist buckle hidden beneath the leather gaiter. You prise up the gaiter to access it. You were lucky it pulled straight off. May not have been locked back down properly last time.

Haha! I sound like a right trainspotter!

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Yep, it attaches to this bit.

IMG_6383.JPG

I know that as I've assembled it in the house so I remember how it all goes for when I have to send it away. I don't think it was on very tight as it pulled off pretty easily. I've twisted the tab back down and it seems to lock with a fairly substantial click so I'd guess it wasn't on right as I'm not that strong lol. The clips in this area are mostly broken or missing so I guess it's been apart quite a few times!!

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Bye bye steering wheel, bye bye gearknob, see you in a few days when you're nice and retrimmed!!

IMG_6389.JPG

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
On the post above , it looks like you have accidentally dropped a yoghurt pot upside down , don't want to leave a mark or get it on your socks :D

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Oh yeah, it was a cheese dunking pot my son ate from about a week ago that he won't let us throw away so we cleaned it and gave it back to him. Children!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Oh yeah, it was a cheese dunking pot my son ate from about a week ago that he won't let us throw away so we cleaned it and gave it back to him. Children!!
Sounds the same as having a cat :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Got two of them as well ;) A Maine Coon and a moggy.

Our 5yo went through a period of collecting pebbles when she was younger. Still has them and we are not allowed to throw them out...

We have a Maine Coon too, great big giant thing she is. Only a year old, very soppy, very lovely, total PITA. Two others, one of whom is super-cool and the other is a fat little sociopath. Do yours have conversations with you?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom