W213 E Class Garmin Map Pilot and other issues.

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Greetings to all and hope you can be of assistance.

I am really disappointed with my recent purchase of a W213 E Class 220d saloon.

I wish I'd got my W212 back. There seem to be so many backward steps in this basic spec car.

The Garmin map pilot was described as a big improvement over the Comand sat
nav. I find it useless and I am wondering if I have the latest software as it has tried on a number of occasions to send me the wrong way down a one way street. This street has been one way for about 10 years or more. Is there any way of finding out whether the software is up to date?

Other issues I have with the car are:
1. No spare wheel at all. Just a pack of tyre sealant and some kind of compressor. A major step backwards in my book. After all I am 76 and should really move with the times or is it me? What happens if you get a puncture in the middle of the night in a remote area with no mobile phone signal and the tyre repair kit doesn't fix things? Can't even see a Jack in the vehicle. Should there be one? All these car makers are MAD. Why must we have to rely on mobile phones for everything? What if you choose not to have a mobile phone?
2. No cd player as there was on the W212. Sd slot used for sat nav sd card?????
3. Radio stations need to be programmed using a menu before you can select your programme. Push buttons much more user friendly and distract driver less.
4. No dvd playback as there was on the W212.
5. Media selection confusing and difficult to set up.

I hate this pile of electronic junk more each day. Maybe I could exchange it under the Approved Used Scheme.

But the car is so comfortable and quiet. £20 per year Road Tax, Excellent fuel consumption. Still rather have my 212 back.

Please forgive the rant.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello Trevor,

I for one would very much like one of the new E classes going right now. For now lets deal with some of the points.

1 This is both for weight and cost saving. Every single gram they can squeeze out will imrpove road tax, fuel economy etc. It is fine fir small punctures, but that's about it. I suppose this is where mobilo comes in.

2 Again another technology which is being phased out. Everything is moving to USB and bluetooth. Since I bought my W212 there has never been a single disc in the changer.

3 Can't comment on that as I am not familiar with the latest software used.

4 No slot no DVD. There is video playback, but that would be either through the sd card or via usb.

5 Have to refer to point 3 on this one as well.

As for Garmin v COMAND there is only option in my own opinion and that is the Mercedes system. Bigger screen etc

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Dear Mr Filipov,

Thanks for your thoughts on the issues I have raised. I obviously have a more elderly view on this so called progress. Perhaps being forewarned would help.

1. I agree that this is for cost and weight saving, But not for the customers benefit -really primarily, for the manufacturer's benefit and that applies to all maufacturers not just mercedes. What's the use of mobilo if you don't have or don't want a mobile phone and there is no signal in the middle of a dark , wet and cold night ?? Freedom of choice is being restricted by geeks without them realising it.
I still think NO spare wheel and jack is a retrograde step and could create unnecessary problems. MADNESS.

2. I regularly used the cd player. Now I have the inconvenience of transferring files to usb. I agree that different folk have different needs.

3. I can't comment on the software issue either.

4. Inconvenient to have to transfer files to usb. I also think that menu driven operation is slower, less convenient and more likely to require more attention from the driver thus raising safety issues.

5. Yes the operation of the radio falls into the same category.

6. Have to agree with comment about Garmin v Comand. But Comand was standard on the W212 220SE. Yes more cost saving.

Regards
Trevor (MINKYMERC)

maura thomas

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250d
I changed my E class coupe for the new C250d a year ago and the sat nav command system is useless. It has got me into serious problems driving in Europe. When approaching a major roundabout, she tells me to "prepare to bear left" then "prepare to turn left when the screen shows I am to go all round the roundabout and turn right!!! I have the Drivers Assist package but I am starting to hate this pile of electronic junk too!!
Any suggestions please.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Totally agree with your view on the lack of a spare wheel and of course the 212 does have a spacesaver. Needless to say there is a healthy trade on eBay for spare wheels in fact I've just bought one for my son's partners Qashqui which cost £165 for the complete kit but at least there is room to stow it which is not the case with a lot of EU6 cars

As regards technology I find the COMAND system easy to operate and find your comments on how MB have moved 'forward' in this area interesting

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the car when you should be enjoying the experience

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
maura - I don't know whether your C250 has the Garmin Map Pilot. If so, I'm not surprised at the performance you have encountered. You have my sympathy. On the other hand I found the actual Mercedes COMAND system in the W212 easy to use and far superior to the Garmin Map Pilot system in the W213 which seems to be a cheaper system ( for the manufacturer). But the W212 was not menu driven to such a large extent.

malcolm210 - the no spare wheel thing is NOT an advancement but a cost saving thing and a retrograde step which I find deplorable. Furthermore there is no space to stow a spare wheel or even a space saver. I might explore the possibility of buying a spare wheel for the W213 even if I have to forego the boot space - that's how strongly I feel about it. This should not be necessary. Didn't realise that the Quashquai had no spare wheel but it seems that all manufacturers are going down this route. Cost and environmental concerns are convenient excuses. The no spare wheel brigade are all MAD as far as normal road going vehicles are concerned. Wake up to reality and practicality of normal road going vehicles
The Mercedes COMAND system as fitted to the W212, I agree, was much easier to use. Electronics don't rely on mechanical moving parts and so are cheaper to produce after research and development costs. But they require complicated menu driven systems and can be as problematic, if not more so, as mechanical systems.
I do enjoy driving the car but these niggling concerns take the shine off the experience.

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting.

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

faddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Have Mercedes moved to run flat tyres meaning if you do get a flat it allows you to run the car for upto 50 miles to get it sorted. Same principle as a space saver.. I have used the run flat tyres on my C250 and it was fine for a fair distance.

As for the lack of CD/DVD.. technology is moving this way, If you by a laptop you will get one without the cd/dvd.. its the future.

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hi faddy,

Mercedes have not moved to run flat tyres on my W213 SE. You get the gunge and compressor which are useles if the tyre has a large hole or is punctured on the side wall.

So if you get a puncture after garage hours and you're in a no signal mobile phone area in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night you can't phone Mobilo or any other rescue service so you're stuck and not going anywhere. Why do I have to have a mobile phone if I buy a Mercedes? The lack of a full size spare wheel and jack is total madness and cost driven. It should be made a legal requirement to carry these items in a useable condition. To hell with all the excuses.

I have been told that the gunge renders the tyre irrepairable and I believe the same goes for run flat tyres - may be you could comment on this from your experience.

With regard to the lack of CD/DVD player, why should I have to transfer all my CDs or DVDs to a usb stick or have an iphone to listen to music of my choice? You can still buy laptops with an optical drive.

I have grown to hate this car more and more each time I drive it. I'm terrified of getting tyre problems while I'm out in the darn thing. There wouldn't even be room for a space saver wheel.

I was never informed of the Adblue requirement either. If I could afford to sell this crap and buy a car with a full sized spare wheel and jack I would do so.

Rant over!!!!!!!

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Most decisions in the motor industry are driven by emissions nowadays and I'm sure the omission of a spare wheel plays a part in this. It's one of the grey areas in modern motoring including all lane running on motorways that defies logic, is attributed to budget cuts, and puts people at risk

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate what you say about decisions being driven by emissions. However, it must surely be possible to design a car with space for a full sized spare wheel and jack etc. without any detrimental effect on the emissions. I stick by what I say about about this. It is purely a cost saving measure which is unacceptable in a car costing upwards of £38,000 (or indeed any other car). The potential cost and inconvenience to the customer is inestimable and unjustified.

The Adblue thing should be clearly explained to the customer together with the rip off charged by Mercedes dealers for topping it up at a service.

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
My S212 (2016) has no spare due to the Adblue tank.

I have the gunk also, there was no jack or brace but I purchased a brand new set off eBay that slots into the spaces perfectly.

Mind you buying the jack did me no favours when I took the wheels off to clean and treat then one fell over face down of course to give a slight concrete rash.

I cannot remember the last time I had a puncture though.

The Adblue should be topped up as part of the service.

Yes I agree that the UK mobile phone coverage is pants.

The Comand system navigation I find pretty good but there are some odd errors but all systems suffer thus.

Maybe given time you will learn to live with the cars foibles and start enjoying it.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hello Robin,
Thank you for your comments. I am surprised to learn that the S212 has no spare and just the gunk.

I don't have Comand, I have Garmin Map pilot which I was assured by the salesman was better than Comand. That is definitely not true as I found Comand on the W212 was much better.

Thank you for your kind words but I don't think I will ever be completely happy with the cars foibles. It is a nice car to drive (in good dry conditions) but motoring is about more than that.

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Andyn666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 CDI estate
Minkymerc, I agree with you in the spare tyre issue, I live on the west coast of Scotland, if I had a flat and no spare it would be dangerous, I could easily be 10 miles from a mobile signal or a phone and the weather can turn really bad here.

Andy

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hi Malcolm,

We seem to agree about the provision of spare wheels. Even the space savers are not ideal but better than nothing at all.

Thank you for the eBay link.

Will have a closer look later.

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I agree that tyre repair systems are really not incident proof. Given good cell phone reception they will often result in a flatbed recovery to the nearest tyre shop. (I wonder if the flatbed drivers ever develop agreements with tyre shops - they must see enough cases to create a decent revenue stream?) And the motorist who is delivered to the tyre shop is at their mercy. You are not in a position to negotiate on price, and rather dependent on them having your size of tyre in stock.

Even worse, 4x4 vehicles (presumably intended to work off road too? e.g. E-Class All-Terrain) are also being sold with tyre repair kits rather than spare wheels. The odds of their tyres being lacerated beyond the scope of a repair kit must be appreciable.

My own experience is that the profile of tyres is critical, even for on road use. Given the parlous state of many of our roads, and the depth and frequency of potholes, I have found that 40% profile or less is uncomfortable to travel on and vulnerable to fatal deflation. I have lost 2 tyres that way, one at Dover Docks on arrival home from the Continent (welcome to the UK) and one on the M5 near Sedgemoor Services. The Highways Agency bat off any claim for damage unless you have forensic levels of evidence, and that is difficult to collect on a motorway in poor weather.

I now have 45% profile tyres and these are more comfortable and, touch wood, less vulnerable.

Alex.

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
malcolm210 I see what you mean about pricey i.e. £318 for a space saver. However, there are some cheaper ones available used and new at promotorukgroup on eBay at £149.95 with jack and wheelbrace. £134.95 just the wheel.

Alex your words of wisdom are duly noted.

Thank you both for your observations and information.

Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Last edited:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
These are all very good reasons why I would not buy a new Mercedes. Though my R129 does have a space saver tyre I rarely do much mileage in it. My indie always says I'd regret selling the W124 whenever I talk about replacing it with something more up to date.

P

peterdh

I'm afraid that the days of proper spare wheels are coming to an end and even space saver wheels are becoming a rare breed on new cars. It is a retrograde step which irks me considerably and had I known that the 213 was only supplied with a tyre kit (laugh) I would have thought twice about trading my 212 in for one.

I did however get one with Command which is fine even if it takes some getting used to. However I'm still glad that I switched to the 213 from the 212 as the ride and economy is far superior. I did have a puncture recently which wasn't repairable and the tyre had to be replaced so I'm glad that I didn't waste a further amount of money trying to use the gunk which no doubt would have failed but would have needed replacing at whatever silly money is being charged for it these days.

Give me a spare wheels any time, even if it is a little one!

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hi mikestrivens,

I don't do many miles a year nowadays. Probably 4,000 to 5,000.

My W212 E Class had only done 11,000 miles from new and I wish I'd not sold it. Something more up to date is not necessarily better as I have discovered.
Regards
Trevor (MINKYMERC)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom