Poor dipped beam on my 211!

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
I know I'm getting older and my eyesight wouldn't be as good as when I was 30, but I really must try and sort the headlights out on my 211, I did remove the relatively new hid bulbs from my s class before I sold it and am planning on fitting them to the E -class , Main Beam is Good but as soon as I need to dip its shocking , I'm hoping that its just the bulbs that have lost there efficiency over time, I found the s-class really good and probably the only thing that never gave me trouble during my ownership! even the Wife's Dacia with normal h4 lights would out perform mine at the moment.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I think there is a drop off in bulb intensity as they age, the xenon dipped beam bulbs in the 210 at 18 years old have noticably dropped off

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I had the same problem on my previous W204. A set of Osram Night Breaker H7's in the dipped beams sorted that !! :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
HiD lamps have a lifetime of around 8-9 years and halogen 5-6. Beyond that it's wise to replace them.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
I know I'm getting older and my eyesight wouldn't be as good as when I was 30, but I really must try and sort the headlights out on my 211, I did remove the relatively new hid bulbs from my s class before I sold it and am planning on fitting them to the E -class , Main Beam is Good but as soon as I need to dip its shocking , I'm hoping that its just the bulbs that have lost there efficiency over time, I found the s-class really good and probably the only thing that never gave me trouble during my ownership! even the Wife's Dacia with normal h4 lights would out perform mine at the moment.

^ ^ ^
Most likely :)

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
I had the same problem on my previous W204. A set of Osram Night Breaker H7's in the dipped beams sorted that !! :)

This. I haven't managed to get hold of a good set of OEM Xenons for my W202 yet but the NightBreakers are fantastic, and I found a better light spread and beam than the Philips Xtreme 130's that they replaced.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Another for Osram Nightbreakers.
Strangely, the CLC I recently bought had excellent lights, far better than my S204, but I put Nightbreakers in anyway, and now they are superb.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Another + for Nightbreakers - I have them in both cars, NB+ in the 968, NB Ultimate in the MB dips and NB Lasers in the MB mains. Don't think the lasers are worth the extra over the Ultimates, but even the NB+ are good in the 968.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Another + for Nightbreakers - I have them in both cars, NB+ in the 968, NB Ultimate in the MB dips and NB Lasers in the MB mains. Don't think the lasers are worth the extra over the Ultimates, but even the NB+ are good in the 968.

Little bit of data for you- the NB Laser do not have any increase in luminous flux density over the NB Ultimate ;)

forrester

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E 320 petrol
I have noticed that nearly all older mercs have opaque head light lenses, which would affect the performance of the lights.
I had to polish mine on my '03 320 & they are now good using standard bulbs.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have noticed that nearly all older mercs have opaque head light lenses, which would affect the performance of the lights.
I had to polish mine on my '03 320 & they are now good using standard bulbs.

This is the odd thing, it isn't nearly all- it's a very spotty issue all around the world, and looks to be batch- specific for the polycarbonate used to make the lenses. From some research I've seen it only affects around 2% of cars.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
This is the odd thing, it isn't nearly all- it's a very spotty issue all around the world, and looks to be batch- specific for the polycarbonate used to make the lenses. From some research I've seen it only affects around 2% of cars.

Loads of car near me have opaque headlights, I do wonder if some drivers can actually see the road at night they are so bad

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I remember stopping after a VERY filthy drive oop north- it was during the foot & mouth crisis , light fog across the country and there were whole herds being incinerated all up and down the M1 & A1- A19. I had to stop for fuel, looked at my headlamps and the lenses were yellow. Genuine, caked-on, encrusted "yellow wobbly bits". After I cleared them off (much hoiking) I realized that I could see about twice as well as before. It's really surprising when something happens gradually, how well your body adapts to the "new normal".

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Loads of car near me have opaque headlights, I do wonder if some drivers can actually see the road at night they are so bad

My valeting guy does headlight restoration, any thing from old Nissan's Citroen's to Mercedes BMW etc etc
anywhere there's UV light to cause the oxidization once the OEM protection coatings worn off.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My valeting guy does headlight restoration, any thing from old Nissan's Citroen's to Mercedes BMW etc etc
anywhere there's UV light to cause the oxidization once the OEM protection coatings worn off.

So does mine although there is a company that specilaises in them near me

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Would someone have the info regarding fitting new headlight bulbs on my 2005 e55 amg. i could probably figure it but its nice to have a heads up before i start. Thanks

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom