What temperature do they "bake" car paint at?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
just sprayed the Rear Level Sensor Brackets with 2 coats of Hammerite, to upgrade the poorish MB paint finish ( a few scratches here and there) guess these parts are just chucked in a logistics bin, until picked.

IMG_4252.JPG

Let them air dry in warm house. First coat overnight and this 2nd coat 3 hours.
They are almost touch dry, but a bit 'almost' tacky.

So as the wifes out, I thought I would pop them in the fan oven for an hour. Air plus heat hoping it would accellerate the drying process.
Just so the paint is hard whilst fitting

Will it ?

But at what temperature?

Initially put on at 40C lowest oven goes, seemed hardly luke warm, so increased to 80C
Is that about right.

Or should it be like 120C?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Car paint is bake hardened in plant at 150-180C dependent on the specific paint formulation (and plant). Some can go over 200C.

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
If your wife is anything like mine she'll smell that as soon as she steps through the door and then you'll cop it !

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
When baking painted parts in the kitchen oven there is also the added bonus of having Hammerite flavored pizza for a few weeks , or how about a Hammerite infused cottage pie.

When the wife eventually starts talking to you then she will inform you that you are an idiot , dont take it personally i didnt when i dishwashed a set of engine casings covered in Gunk which took a few deep cleans to rid the DW of the odour.

I have found with Hammerite a couple of days on the radiator cures it well enough to be used and handled.

Kenny

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Car paint is bake hardened in plant at 150-180C dependent on the specific paint formulation (and plant). Some can go over 200C.

Thanks, an hour at 80C and left in oven for half hour till it cooled and they seem dry :)
Not sure if they are "cured / hardened"? Or as if air dried for longer.

Just hope the paint is not weakened by it.

So now put on cigar tins, on a double vented radiator, till required need some clips for the oanel under the lower suspension strut. Cant be arse to fight with mangled ones for £6.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
When baking painted parts in the kitchen oven there is also the added bonus of having Hammerite flavored pizza for a few weeks , or how about a Hammerite infused cottage pie.

When the wife eventually starts talking to you then she will inform you that you are an idiot , dont take it personally i didnt when i dishwashed a set of engine casings covered in Gunk which took a few deep cleans to rid the DW of the odour.

I have found with Hammerite a couple of days on the radiator cures it well enough to be used and handled.

Kenny
Thanks finished at 2.45 pm and left the hob extractor fan on .
Doesnt seem to smell :)
Maybe its the fan in the oven or the fact the first 3 hours when they really smell was outside the oven :)

She hasnt noticed he he

Blimey I wouldnt put anything in the dishwasher ... surely the grease and smell would get recycled into the salt reservoir!!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thanks finished at 2.45 pm and left the hob extractor fan on .
Doesnt seem to smell :)
Maybe its the fan in the oven or the fact the first 3 hours when they really smell was outside the oven :)

She hasnt noticed he he

Blimey I wouldnt put anything in the dishwasher ... surely the grease and smell would get recycled into the salt reservoir!!!
You were lucky. SWMBO can smell a fart 30ft away!

Last edited:

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
Hammerite is enamel based so it will take 7 10 days to cure

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom