Opps! Flooded it ...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
how dumb do you need to be to go into water THAT deep??

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
There is a bridge near us where the road dips fairly severely under it. The pavement on each side under the bridge runs straight and flat so that to anyone who approaches the bridge and doesn't know, it seems to all intents and purposes that there is an inch or two of water on the road during torrential rain. They then drive straight into several feet of water and its too late. The flood occurs within a matter of minutes so the road doesn't get closed until it's too late for at least one driver. Wonder if its the same on this Bury road.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Love the comment.... as if its someone else's fault!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Love the comment.... as if its someone else's fault!
How do you draw that conclusion ? No one else's fault but the driver. My point was that its not always possible to determine the depth of water on the road so caution is your best bet when caught out in flash flooding type weather.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Loads of roads in Bury were flooded yesterday, including the main A56 Manchester Road which, unfortunately, I had to use in the morning. It was mainly the inside lane so I, as most drivers, moved across to the outside and gently passed the small lake which had formed.

Typically, one or two intellectually challenged people decided to just plough through creating bow waves which would have shamed the Queen Mary. Ah well, their loss when it all goes TU...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
How do you draw that conclusion ? No one else's fault but the driver. My point was that its not always possible to determine the depth of water on the road so caution is your best bet when caught out in flash flooding type weather.
The comment on the news paper article...

"This happend to me last year in works van and got disciplined for it . sorry to see nothing has been done to stop this happening to others."

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The comment on the news paper article...

"This happend to me last year in works van and got disciplined for it . sorry to see nothing has been done to stop this happening to others."
Sorry LostKiwi - old age setting in, thought you were referring to my post ,see what you mean now... It is astonishing why people drive through floods. At this time of year the busy main road outside my house flash floods for a length of about 100m often over half a meter deep but sometimes more. Lost track of the number of times I have had to wade through flood water either to push vehicles or spray with WD- all the while vehicles try to charge through drenching everybody. Over the years several pairs of trousers boots socks (drains back up too) ruined so in the end I gave up and let the emergency services /breakdown deal with this stuff.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry LostKiwi - old age setting in, thought you were referring to my post ,see what you mean now... It is astonishing why people drive through floods. At this time of year the busy main road outside my house flash floods for a length of about 100m often over half a meter deep but sometimes more. Lost track of the number of times I have had to wade through flood water either to push vehicles or spray with WD- all the while vehicles try to charge through drenching everybody. Over the years several pairs of trousers boots socks (drains back up too) ruined so in the end I gave up and let the emergency services /breakdown deal with this stuff.
No worries... I thought you'd misunderstood :)

I used to love going out in toorrential rain and retreiving flooded cars in my Defender.....
Deepest puddle it went into was just coming over the bonnet... (and it chugged through quite happily).
Deepest we ever recovered was a Subaru Legacy. It was in water up to the floor of the Defender (which had a 2" lift). We dragged it out but needless to say it wasn't going anywhere afterwards....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Loads of roads in Bury were flooded yesterday, including the main A56 Manchester Road which, unfortunately, I had to use in the morning. It was mainly the inside lane so I, as most drivers, moved across to the outside and gently passed the small lake which had formed.

Typically, one or two intellectually challenged people decided to just plough through creating bow waves which would have shamed the Queen Mary. Ah well, their loss when it all goes TU...

Fortunately with advances in ship building the Queen Mary 2 produces little if any bow wave. Was amazed on our recent fjords trip just how little wake there was.

Interesting 'spin' in the Elbe river in Hamburg as we left the other week:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Fortunately with advances in ship building the Queen Mary 2 produces little if any bow wave. Was amazed on our recent fjords trip just how little wake there was.

Interesting 'spin' in the Elbe river in Hamburg as we left the other week

Now that in itself is an interesting comment. The shop does create a bow wave, it just does so in a different way to older cruise ships, due to a combination of the bulbous bow and a very fine entry combined with bow flare.

What people see as "wake" is a combination of the real wake (travelling in the same direction as the ship albeit slower) and the screw race (travelling directly away from the ship). Now, QM2 uses azipods which do not sit in the same configuration near the hull as conventional shafts do. So, they change how the shape of the water flow around and through the screws interacts with the hull as its profile changes towards the stern.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I used to love going out in toorrential rain and retreiving flooded cars in my Defender.....
Deepest puddle it went into was just coming over the bonnet... (and it chugged through quite happily).

try doing THAT in a modern vehicle with its electronics!!!!!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom