C180 K BlueEfficiency, is it too much for DIY for B3 service

Houstonrice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 K BlueEffi, 2009, W204.
hi~

i am driving 2009 C180, W204 gasoline auto, and has done all annual services at MB main dealership, L'boro. As it ages, i found that the MB dealer's service becomes too much for any financial merit, so would dare to challenge DIY for the B3 service.

I understnad that B3 service includes;

-engine oil & filter change
-break fluid change
-spark plug change
-air filter change
-maintenance check up (tyre thread, break pad etc etc)

studied each from YouTube, and built up some confidence.

for those who have done DIY, how difficult the jobs were, apart from the 'maintenance check up'?

I may go for approved service centre for 'engine oil & filter change' as I don't have equipment to lift up the car and to waste the used oil - Would they grant the service history even after this job?

I may buy parts (oil, filters etc) from MB dealership as i want to keep using genuine parts only for my car.
ref) MB dealership quoted me £540 for B3 and £280 for A in 2018. local authorised service quoted me £380 for B3 (then i have to buy AA breakdown at additional £130) and £220 for A in 2018.

any advice for DIY to replace garage's annual services now on?

Many thanks in advance,
Houstonrice

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
You could look for an independent mb service guy in your area and see what prices they would charge for the service, I'm sure someone on here will be able to recommend one, and welcome to the forum lots of good guys on here with vast knowledge.

OP
H

Houstonrice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thansk mancman for your post,

I have known a local authorised mb service centre who did a few routine jobs for my car. he is pretty good at servicing c and e classes, at my best, but i am seeking a way to be more mechanic for myself for my own car and carrying out an annual service DIY would be the first step.

nevertheless, as i've addressed above, this chap quoted me £380 for this year, and £220 for next year plus additional £130/year for breakdown cover.

Did you mean that won't save any money at the end, if I DIY the annual service?

Regards,
Houstonrice.

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
You will save money, as long as your confident and have all the proper tools to carry out said jobs, go for it bud.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
plus additional £130/year for breakdown cover.

That seems pricey to me. I've just paid very similar for May Day's (Caravan Club's Green Flag) personal cover for myself & EmilysMum and for Emily to have cover just for herself in her car.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I don't see anything in that list of service items that looks difficult.
To change the oil get a suction pump (Sealey or Pela - I prefer the Sealey ones as they're a lot faster).and suck the oil out the dipstick hole (which is how MB do it).
Pretty much everything can then be done from the top with no need to jack the car up other than to check wheel bearing adjustment/balljoint wear.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I have sort of been where you are now , with 2X 2009 Mercs that both were coming up to the big 4 yearly service with all filters , brake fluid , ATF etc . I looked at the expected cost in this year of well over £1000 and thought I'm keeping both cars for a few years more so time to get my fingers dirty .
I had done sporadic bits over the years but retired last year so don't have the pressure of needing the car for work the next day .
My top tip would be the Pela for oil changes ( that's what I've had for 3 years ) I also bourght a sealey pressure thingy to do the one man pressurised brake fluid change .
I don't know what your tool situation is , but I wish I was staring from scratch and I would buy a Halfords Advanced 200 piece tool set (when they are half price in their regular sales , about £175?? ) .
Over the last couple of years , with help on the forum , a Haynes manual , YouTube et. , I have done the following ,
Brake pads and discs , ATF oil and filter change , rear diff oil change , engine oil and filter , spark plugs , glow plugs , air filters .
I have got my recovery sorted through the Nationwides current account . Which includes European recovery . Good luck

OP
H

Houstonrice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for encouraging and informative comments.

My C180 has currently done 94k miles, and I'd like to keep this car till die.

I just rang a local Indie and quoted for genuine parts; the Indie said that they get these parts from the MB main dealerships and so I may able to get parts directly from the dealership anyway.

engine oil filter: £9.60+vat
air filter: £26.60+vat
spark plug: £9.05/each +vat
combination filter: £33.85 +vat

they are not selling engine oil and break fluid, so i looked at ebay for engine oil;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Genuin...487191&hash=item27e5863685:g:ATsAAOxyF0pTfx7X

is this an appropriate quality oil that I should buy and use? Or should I buy some from the MB main dealership?

any suggestioin for getting break fluid?

It seems that it won't exceed £200 for all genuine parts, oils +vat, so it is workth to seriously consider DIY for my own economic merit...!

I have space and time, will buy comprehensive tool kit as well... most of all, i am excited to do such job by own..!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Give Grangemouth Mercedes a call and speak to Andy or Fraser. They can source all your parts and oils and are competitive on pricing if you mention MBO.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As LK, you can actually ask Fraser for the complete service kit and he'll give you that complete price

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check out the eBay page for Newcastle Mercedes Smart eBay , they have some great prices as well .

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Ask your Mercedes dealer for their free spring/summer/winter health check. They go over the car trying to find work. Anything they do find can then be done by yourself with the help of the forum. Don't panic when you see what they find and how much it will cost. Last time I did it they came up with a bill in excess of £1000. I did all the work myself for just over £100.

Get on those tools, you'll enjoy it. Good luck.

OP
H

Houstonrice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi daibevan,

what is the Mercedes dealer for their free spring/summer/winter health check? am i eligible to request such for free of charge?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi daibevan,

what is the Mercedes dealer for their free spring/summer/winter health check? am i eligible to request such for free of charge?
You have to check with your local Merc dealer to see when they run these offers , if you register your email with them they should let you know . I'm not sure if these offers are available if you live in Loughborough though :D:D:D:D:D

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
You have to check with your local Merc dealer to see when they run these offers , if you register your email with them they should let you know . I'm not sure if these offers are available if you live in Loughborough though :D:D:D:D:D

Wot he said.
Once they have your email you'll get all of their offers.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom