Help, Boot locked and battery disconnected jump start under the bonnet doesn't work.

TomP83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2000/200
Hello,

I have an old 2000 clk and have a big problem.

I disconnected the battery and shut the boot. The boot locked itself and now I can't get in it to fit the new battery.

I have been in a situation before where the battery had gone flat with the boot shut and I used the jump start under the bonnet to power up the boot open switch with a battery charger. From what I have read this can be done with the battery disconnected however I have tried and nothing, it doesn't seem to put any power in at all. I have checked fuses and they seem ok.

I really don't know what to do?.. any help would be much appreciated!

OP
T

TomP83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2000/200
Sorry - I should also add I don't have the mechanical key.

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Instead of using a battery charger (which may not give any output if the charger doesn't detect a minimal voltage present) try using a connection from the new battery.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Sorry - I should also add I don't have the mechanical key.

Thanks

What kind of 'key' do you have then? Bear in mind the mechanical blade lives in the side of a Merc key/fob

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Did this recently with my old BMW 5-series but luckily it's an estate so I could release the back seats and crawl through to reconnect the battery.

I too am not surprised a charger won't do it... so would also say use the battery connected to the underbonnet terminals.

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
yep as above you'll need to try a jumper pack or a battery. if for some reason that still doesn't work and you cant figure it out then there are some jump starters that provide power through the power outlet in the interior maybe that'll be enough to open the boot and also I saw one guy once failing all that undo the connections to the license plate bulbs and apply 12V momentarily to that which was enough to open the boot and same can be done with the start motor live wire, again these are very far fetched methods, with a battery across the jump terminals you should be fine. most chargers if they don't detect the battery won't even start charging or providing any power maybe thats why that didn't work.

OP
T

TomP83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2000/200
Thanks so much to all the response! I lost the mechanical key a while back - a long story but I hooked the new battery up with some leads and it worked! Must have just not liked the battery charger. Thanks once again problem solved.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom