Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'd say right to buy was one of Thatcher's triumphs.Thousands benefitted from it & eradicated lousy repairs if anything went wrong under council ownership.If you're paying for a repair yourself you want it done right first time.

But we who paid for it got below market rates for the properties, the people who bought them often could have afforded to live elsewhere and flipped the properties quickly.
Now we are being asked to pay again to replace the ones we shouldn't have sold.

The biggest losers by far are people on low earnings doing worthwhile jobs in the community and whom languish on waiting lists continually being pushed further down by new entrants whilst we house the EU's transients.
The countries with largest number of foreign-born residents in 2016 were Germany (11.6 million), the UK (8.8 million), France (7.9 million), Spain (5.9 million), and Italy (5.9 million

Great, lots of them do wonderful work and make a positive contribution but whatever your leanings they didn't bring a house with them.

The answer has to be stricter requirements for social housing which are regularly re-checked and shorter tenancies.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I think the housing sell off turned into a double edged sword. I think Thatcher hoped that as people became more prosperous there would be less reliance on the state, which didn't really happen.

The Labour government of the day clearly saw a problem with housing, but couldn't afford the building program that their predecessors did in the 50's. And along came housing benefit which led to the but to let boom. I don't think that was in the plan either.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Put those immigrant figures into context of the population and the reality looks a bit different to what you portray - especially note the non-EU 4 of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein....

File:Immigration_by_citizenship,_2015_(%C2%B9).png

800px-Immigration_by_citizenship%2C_2015_%28%C2%B9%29.png

Now look on a global scale.
This shows we are even further down the EU list than the figures above suggest!
https://data.oecd.org/migration/foreign-born-population.htm

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
But we who paid for it got below market rates for the properties, the people who bought them often could have afforded to live elsewhere and flipped the properties quickly.
Now we are being asked to pay again to replace the ones we shouldn't have sold.

The biggest losers by far are people on low earnings doing worthwhile jobs in the community and whom languish on waiting lists continually being pushed further down by new entrants whilst we house the EU's transients.
The countries with largest number of foreign-born residents in 2016 were Germany (11.6 million), the UK (8.8 million), France (7.9 million), Spain (5.9 million), and Italy (5.9 million

Great, lots of them do wonderful work and make a positive contribution but whatever your leanings they didn't bring a house with them.

The answer has to be stricter requirements for social housing which are regularly re-checked and shorter tenancies.
I purchased our council house & if I remember rightly you had to have been living in it paying full rent for two years before you could apply to buy & then couldn't sell it for another five years after that.Not really a quick flip.
It did enable me after 5yrs of paying a mortgage to remortgage to start my own business that has been running quite successfully for 10yrs now currently employing 5 people.
I couldn't have done it without that first step of buying our council house which we still live in today.
I agree the mass influx of foreign born residents have made it harder for the young generation to get social housing & this fuelled the buy to let boom we have seen.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I'd say right to buy was one of Thatcher's triumphs.Thousands benefitted from it & eradicated lousy repairs if anything went wrong under council ownership.If you're paying for a repair yourself you want it done right first time.
You will actually find that those councils that did the repairs themselves that the quality of the repair was quite good. Many people did benefit indeed from Thatchers house buying programme, mostly unscrupulous landlords who saw an opportunity tp buy up public housing stock at ridiculously low prices, and it did take away a lot of available homes for those who couldn't afford or never would be able to buy a home for themselves.
She did give rise to the Yuppie generation, and sold off everything she could to her wealthy friends so they could basically buy themselves into the slave trade of The British People working to keep them in a modern day style of the old Colonials.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Believe what you want.
I suppose Labour don't have spin doctors do they? Do me a favour. Both sides make a living bashing the opposition or do you think its only the Tories?

I don't think we have any more to discuss on the subject. My views are totally opposite to yours and neither will change so lets call it a day;)
If you keep posting rubbish I shall challenge it, especially when it is blatantly obvious that you are quoting others who have a vested interest in spouting false news, and depend on ill informed individuals to spread it.[/QUOTE]
I don't mind properly researched articles and the resulting fallout, all politicians lie.
No one can argue with the truth. It annoys me when people believe lies told by electioneering politicians, and refuse to check out the facts.

Last edited:

Stevetaxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E class 250 AMG Estate
We needed a doctor in Cyprus it cost me £600

If the doctor came here and needed a doctor it would have cost him nothing...

hows that work for EU parity for member state citizens?

Stevetaxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E class 250 AMG Estate
I think the housing sell off turned into a double edged sword. I think Thatcher hoped that as people became more prosperous there would be less reliance on the state, which didn't really happen.

The Labour government of the day clearly saw a problem with housing, but couldn't afford the building program that their predecessors did in the 50's. And along came housing benefit which led to the but to let boom. I don't think that was in the plan either.

How many Labour years since Thatcher have we had when the Right to Buy could have been ended?.....it must have suited Blair to leave it running

It also had another effect, Councils - in many cases - organised their own "Welfare housing associations" (who didnt have to sell properties) and quickly transferred all their housing stock - and tenants - the the WHA....then paid the rents like 1 massive money carousel.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
You will actually find that those councils that did the repairs themselves that the quality of the repair was quite good. Many people did benefit indeed from Thatchers house buying programme, mostly unscrupulous landlords who saw an opportunity tp buy up public housing stock at ridiculously low prices, and it did take away a lot of available homes for those who couldn't afford or never would be able to buy a home for themselves.
She did give rise to the Yuppie generation, and sold off everything she could to her wealthy friends so they could basically buy themselves into the slave trade of The British People working to keep them in a modern day style of the old Colonials.

Please expand your comment that it was mostly landlords, which you refer to as unscrupulous, that benefited from council house sales. As I understand it only council house tenants could buy council houses at a discount. Those that then sold them on, sold them at market prices. And why do you refer to landlords as unscrupulous.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
We needed a doctor in Cyprus it cost me £600

If the doctor came here and needed a doctor it would have cost him nothing...

hows that work for EU parity for member state citizens?

Did you have your EU medical card as a matter of interest.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
How many Labour years since Thatcher have we had when the Right to Buy could have been ended?.....it must have suited Blair to leave it running

It also had another effect, Councils - in many cases - organised their own "Welfare housing associations" (who didnt have to sell properties) and quickly transferred all their housing stock - and tenants - the the WHA....then paid the rents like 1 massive money carousel.
And the program still runs today.......It appears no government wants their housing stock.

But i don't quite understand WHA money carousel that you spoke of and what sort of benefit it would bring to the Council in question. Could you expand on that at all?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Please expand your comment that it was mostly landlords, which you refer to as unscrupulous, that benefited from council house sales. As I understand it only council house tenants could buy council houses at a discount. Those that then sold them on, sold them at market prices. And why do you refer to landlords as unscrupulous.
I was just going to ask that question myself, too slow.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you keep posting rubbish I shall challenge it, especially when it is blatantly obvious that you are quoting others who have a vested interest in spouting false news, and depend on ill informed individuals to spread it.
I don't mind properly researched articles and the resulting fallout, all politicians lie.
No one can argue with the truth. It annoys me when people believe lies told by electioneering politicians, and refuse to check out the facts.

You carry on reading your Daily Mirror and believe all will be well in the fantasy world of comrade Corbyn.
Both are obviously right all the time and never tell mistruths. Wake up.

I don't post rubbish but to be honest, I don't give a flying one what you think of my opinion.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Going back to the housing.........

We are odd within the EU as we are predominantly buyers and mostly live in houses, as apposed to renters in apartments, although that is clearly changing. We have 11 million in rented now and the state of our housing is never far from the news.

A big factor in the low build volume is the cost of building, and the cost of building has risen dramatically as a direct result of EU regulations.

http://www.rehva.eu/fileadmin/hvac-...ance-requirements-for-buildings-in-europe.pdf

At home we call it Part L buliding regulations.

I don't deny that insulation is important, of course it is, but when it comes to air tight structures with heat recovery systems, with the necessary air tight doors and windows, taped and jointed airtight inner envelope and the necessary skill levels to get it right, then you can understand how the price of the build very literally, goes through the roof.

Part L regulations & affordable housing are not words that go together.

It's obviously easier and more cost effective to build a thermally efficient structure as a block than a single dwelling, but that's not what people want. People want houses. But were being forced into apartments and houses the size of rabbit hutches to try and make it cost effective.

People want to blame the builders, but the builders aren't to blame. Homes are still hand made and the more stuff you put in them the more expensive its going to be.

If you could build a property to 1970's spec it would be affordable, but were heading towards carbon neutral (2025) and that is going to be expensive, very expensive, and who is going to afford it?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Its off at a tangent but some of the biggest and most expensive problems local authorities have is with tenants, it costs us the tax payers a lot of money.
The simple way to deal with poor landlords is as with any other poor supplier, don't give them any money, leave.
Landlords are fairly easy to find and prosecute.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Put those immigrant figures into context of the population and the reality looks a bit different to what you portray - especially note the non-EU 4 of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein....

File:Immigration_by_citizenship,_2015_(%C2%B9).png

800px-Immigration_by_citizenship%2C_2015_%28%C2%B9%29.png

Now look on a global scale.
This shows we are even further down the EU list than the figures above suggest!
https://data.oecd.org/migration/foreign-born-population.htm

As I have often pointed immigration when controlled is a definite positive but if we don't have the infrastructure waiting for them it is not a very good welcome.
The finest hotel in the world is not much use to you if there isn't a room available.
Please come and stay here's the garden shed, doesn't sound like a great plan to attract the skilled workers we need.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As I have often pointed immigration when controlled is a definite positive but if we don't have the infrastructure waiting for them it is not a very good welcome.
The finest hotel in the world is not much use to you if there isn't a room available.
Please come and stay here's the garden shed, doesn't sound like a great plan to attract the skilled workers we need.
The point I was making is that in terms of per capita we don't take anything like as many immigrants as other nations (both inside and outside the EU).
To therefore blame our housing issues on the EU transients is the easy option when in fact our real issue is poor planning and forecasting by our local and national governments coupled to serious lack of investment.
Lets also remember that on average an EU immigrant is more likely to be employed (and therefore contributing to our economy) than either non EU or British born residents. The numbers are:
EU citizens in employment - 81%
UK citizens in employment - 75%
Others - 61%

SO if we are going to accept immigrants is it better they come from the EU or from outside the EU?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Going back to the housing.........

We are odd within the EU as we are predominantly buyers and mostly live in houses, as apposed to renters in apartments, although that is clearly changing. We have 11 million in rented now and the state of our housing is never far from the news.

A big factor in the low build volume is the cost of building, and the cost of building has risen dramatically as a direct result of EU regulations.

http://www.rehva.eu/fileadmin/hvac-...ance-requirements-for-buildings-in-europe.pdf

At home we call it Part L buliding regulations.

I don't deny that insulation is important, of course it is, but when it comes to air tight structures with heat recovery systems, with the necessary air tight doors and windows, taped and jointed airtight inner envelope and the necessary skill levels to get it right, then you can understand how the price of the build very literally, goes through the roof.

Part L regulations & affordable housing are not words that go together.

It's obviously easier and more cost effective to build a thermally efficient structure as a block than a single dwelling, but that's not what people want. People want houses. But were being forced into apartments and houses the size of rabbit hutches to try and make it cost effective.

People want to blame the builders, but the builders aren't to blame. Homes are still hand made and the more stuff you put in them the more expensive its going to be.

If you could build a property to 1970's spec it would be affordable, but were heading towards carbon neutral (2025) and that is going to be expensive, very expensive, and who is going to afford it?

Carbon neutral may be more expensive but current regulations are achievable without excessive cost increases. Air tightness is not difficult to achieve nowadays. It does cost more but not a vast percentage increase in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom