Any pet hates on your MB?

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
I love my 2002 E320 CDI Wagon with its rust in all the right spots (mostly all over body) that won't interfere with MOT's.

But one thing on it I can't seem to get any satisfaction from is the Heater Boost switch next to the cigar lighter!

This switch according to the handbook only works if outside temp is below 8c, and should be activated with red light in switch whenever this is the case, however when used all last winter the heater never seemed to be any more efficient with it on or off.

So if the light is on it should work in same way as the heating / aircon does - or in other words aircon only works when red lamp in EC switch will only work when lamp is OFF - Which seems to be opposite of all other cars to me where aircon is activated and a warning lamp is ON to draw your attention to it.

SO is this what or how the aircon still operated on E classes made after 2002?
And only comes on when red light is off!?!

Its all ass backwards!

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
A couple of nitpick things on my W202 unfortunately,

- Cig lighter being in the ash tray drawer... normally not an issue but to charge my phone or (more often) my battery pack, quite a messy affair with ash tray open and plug sticking out...I may rewire this soon though.

- Mono-Wiper. I don't hate it but mine is starting to go odd so will have to remove and clean at some point because they're so expensive to buy new...whereas normal wiper motors are cheap enough to just buy a new part.

- Boot springs. My mounts have snapped off so the springs are now hooked in other holes... so now when I open the boot it doesn't spring up any more. It's a pain if you're carrying shopping etc.

That's it really...that's just me nitpicking tbh, it's actually a genuinely brilliant motor, especially now after it's bodywork.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
The biggest nitpick on the B Class is that the ESP cannot be switched off which means that on dirt roads (that I use a bit) the behaviour is unpredictable, cutting power and hitting the brakes when you need them to work as designed. A couple of very big gum trees are still shaking with fright, but not as much as me!

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
The command Frau lady, she has too much to say and questions my decisions and her tone is a bit too 'smart' for my liking...
I regularly have to have firm words with her ;)

DAB reception/performance is pretty poor too, for the so called premium HK system...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
R230.abc ,with no emergency back up ie rubber blocks one can manually fit to keep the wheel off the arches when abc fails away from home, and thus allowing one to get home or to a place of repair without a car transporter.
sbc leaving one with 10 percent of brakes. ie no brakes, when the motor needs new brushes. how that system got past legislation is beyond me. there should be a reserve number of brake applications that are counted down on the dash display designed to allow a reasonable trip to get home even if this counter starts ,say a week before the event would normally occur after all this car is like a GT. once this counter has run down to zero the car cant move again under its own power and no one gets to 10 percent brakes .my understanding is one gets a ,is it, white display prior to red, do correct me, but whats the regime following that ...and some i believe have just failed and thats it

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Infra red for remote closing of windows/roof means I've to stand next to the driver's door to close them .... I might aswel open the door & close them via the switch. But i can unlock the car from that far away it'll re-lock by the time I've walked to it.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I don't get on with nanny cars - beeping, pinging and burping whenever, in the car's opinion, I haven't done what I should have done, and in the right order.
I turn off every automatic gadget I can in my cars. I've still got sufficient mental savvy to clunk click, turn on the lights or wipers at the appropriate moment - and turn them off again when I decide the time is right. Who's driving this thing, anyway!

Probably the single most infuriating auto is the extra sweep the wipers give after I have used the screenwashers and vision is now perfect.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The biggest nitpick on the B Class is that the ESP cannot be switched off which means that on dirt roads (that I use a bit) the behaviour is unpredictable, cutting power and hitting the brakes when you need them to work as designed. A couple of very big gum trees are still shaking with fright, but not as much as me!
ive had this complaint about every MB ive had with ESP. yes it works but its EXCESSIVELY intrusive, IMO. at least in the Ford I have now, it will allow SOME slip, and it will alter the amount and whether it reigns you it at all, depending on the throttle position as well as the amount of slip.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
The command Frau lady, she has too much to say and questions my decisions and her tone is a bit too 'smart' for my liking...
I regularly have to have firm words with her ;)

DAB reception/performance is pretty poor too, for the so called premium HK system...

Try the French lady - she's gentler . . .

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
W124 My pet hate is how water just sits inside the rain channel . This is just below rear window.. in the left and right corners .You wont see it untill you lift up the boot lid .It will just sit there , and it wont move untill you move the car .Like my picture on the left, as the car sits on a slight slope. Same for the battery tray .The holes are located in a place that the water never gets to .Untill you move the car then it runs off.. So get the battery out ,and the tray. Then you can wax oil the underside of the battery tray ,,and the part of the car body it sits on .Do it know before the bad weather sets in .

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I love the old Merc mono-wipers. Smashing water into the faces of peasant pedestrians as you pass. :mad::mad::mad::mad::D:D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not being able to read the DAB track listing with the sat nav running, it's not exactly high up the list of issues you could have but my E220 is probably the best car I've ever had

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Try the French lady - she's gentler . . .

a few yrs ago 1 of my tomtom went out the window for repeatedly telling me when safe do a U turn when i knew why i was going on to the next turn to get me to the same place.

OP
PINBALL

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all your input people and in particular to ED for this below, which I can really relate to.

Sorry Emilys Dad (ED means something else at my age - which I will not go into).

Infra red for remote closing of windows/roof means I've to stand next to the driver's door to close them .... I might as well open the door & close them via the switch. But i can unlock the car from that far away it'll re-lock by the time I've walked to it.

OP
PINBALL

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
a few yrs ago 1 of my tomtom went out the window for repeatedly telling me when safe do a U turn when i knew why i was going on to the next turn to get me to the same place.

Thanks aj - know exactly how you feel, but having had a few since 2007 have saved so much fuel even though they're not perfect, I really couldn't do without one anymore.

Chucked out my old A-Z of London yonks ago.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Plastic boot lid on my 212...so finely balanced are the hinges that when I put a boot lip spoiler on it no longer springs up when I press the key remote to open
Hang a jacket up on the coat hook drivers side rear window and it obscures the over shoulder view and creates a lovely blind spot
In the winter the passenger side windscreen demists considerably quicker than the drivers side
...on the 212 that's the only niggles I have
Don't start me on the 230!
(Although I do love em)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom