Maintaining the Collinite 476S finish ?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I completed my wash, clay, polish and wax regime (see below for details if important to your advice)

I am not looking for perfection, just the best way to preserve the longevity of the wax.
I propse to wash the car once a week, with a weak solution of AG Bodywash (Ph neutral).
I would then blow this dry with a leafblower, so no water marks.

If the weather was good, can one just apply another thin coat of 476S say every 2 months?; note due to winter it will probably only just about flash off/go hazy.
Or should one clay it before every waxing? ref avoiding sealing in any surface grit /contaminants.

I am assuming any small amount of surface contaminants, trapped by subsequent coats of 476S wax will come off pretty easily when I next clay the car? I.e.
Once the wax layer starts to fail?

Or would it be better to top up the wax, by a coat of AG High Gloss (
as I have some) rather than a coat of Collinite 476S?

Out of interest, how many weeks do you think my initial finish will last?,
washed weekly, with an outside low mileage car?

I noticed Collinite say the 476S will last a year!
Personally I reckon that's way too optimistic ... , if even just about enough wax was left on to enable an easy clay-job (forget beading etc.) after 5 months, I would be delighted.

Regime Details:
Washed AG Body Neutral Ph. Used Meguaires Quick clay kit, white clay bar and their detailer spray.
Then a coat of AG SRP red, then 2 coats of Collinite.

Looks acceptable, beads well. Feels glassy, and a little greasy but not so greasy to attract too much dust.
Probably screwed up buy not washing off the detailer spray used when claying?
Probably didnt wait long enough between Collinite 476S double coat? [but working outside with iffy weather ... no alternative. Just had to repeat the waxing, once polished off.]
AG = Autoglyms.

The result after one day and it had fine rain
IMG_4326.JPG

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Wash it then apply wax every 6-8 weeks.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As above, collinite is very good, it can stay durable up to 4 months if you wash it well (snow foam, etc)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
As above, collinite is very good, it can stay durable up to 4 months if you wash it well (snow foam, etc)
Thanks Alex,
I assume you meant well washed before applying Collinite?
Then I thought, did he mean regular maintenance washes; as I could see snow foam minimising the 'wiping off factor' of washing it.

4 months would be a dream.
Previously used AG SRP and then AG High Gloss ..... lasts about 2 to 3 weeks :(:( and is expensive.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Wash it then apply wax every 6-8 weeks.
Thanks Craig.
I did read somewhere, where it was recommended to give it a quick wipe over with a fluffy MF cloth using a detailer spray and then Collinite it.
But to me that sounded like a good recipe for scratching it .. if all the grit was not washed off. As you then have to buff reasonably hard to get off the wax.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Two quick questions.
Is it true that there is absolutely no point in applying it fairly generously. i.e. Its just as good to apply it extremely thinly .... because once its polished off the coating is extremely thin anyway?

In an ideal world, I would Collinite it and leave it to "cure off" for a few hours before applying a second coat.
Not possible doing it outside, its basically one coat per panel, and then repeat.
But is there a sort of required "cure time", before the second coat doesnt dissolve the first, but rather layers on-top?

I must say Collinite is much cheaper than AG products, and so far seems far more durable. 4 weeks later and the wheels just rinse off with soapy water ( and its had new pads on old rotors .. so plenty of bedding in dust :):))

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Stick a coat of Sonax over it, you can put up to 4 coatings on before it will just wash off.

It will protect the wax

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom