Heater fan stopped working. 1999 SLK

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi the other day I took off and unblocked the windscreen washer nozzle and now the heater fan doesn't work. Coincidence or something I have done. I have checked fuse 37 under the bonnet, which was fine and on checking all the others found that the windscreen washer nozzle fuse had blown, so I replaced it. Still no fan. Any ideas?

corradoman

Reaction score
This happened to my slk R171, so the newer shape, not sure if the fan is situated in the same area on yours (back of the battery) but i revealed my fan assembly and turned it by hand, the bearing is a little dry on mine, but once i had it turning again it was fine, and has been good for a few months now, may buy you some time. im sure these fans can be stripped and repaired as they are expensive new

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
This happened to my slk R171, so the newer shape, not sure if the fan is situated in the same area on yours (back of the battery) but i revealed my fan assembly and turned it by hand, the bearing is a little dry on mine, but once i had it turning again it was fine, and has been good for a few months now, may buy you some time. im sure these fans can be stripped and repaired as they are expensive new

I have looked and the fan is under the glove compartment. I will take it off now and see. Thank you for the reply.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Yes full of leaves and I think that the Brushes have seen better days lol.

Attachments

• DSCF3334[1].JPG
    DSCF3334[1].JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 10

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
There are used ones on ebay, if you dont want to pay the full price for a new one.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Or you could just replace the brushes....

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Well I cleaned up the brush faces and the armature and put it back together and it is better than it has ever been. I will have to get some new brushes and replace these. Winter is coming and the night is dark and full of terrors.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Yes an easy fix and now better than ever.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom