Slight jerking with 7g

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Noticable mostly from cold start, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and the same coming down the gears, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are smooth.

Mb have said software is up to date and there are no codes. Road test hooked to star had every gear change within acceptable parameters.

My question is, what would you recommend I did?

Gearbox oil change?
Valve body repair?
Speed plate repair?
Repair both whilst they're off the car? Buy new? Get rebuilt? Where from?

Any input appreciated.

Many thanks

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Sorry to say this, but as long as it has had oil changes on time. I would say this is completely normal. Had a few 7g including car we just bought recently. They all seem to do it to some extent. And as you say especially when cold. CLS was first car I had to do this. Noticed it in first week. Very paranoid. Had oil changed. No improvement. Had the car nearly 4 years and did it the whole time!

PB53CLS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350 CDI Grand Edition
Yep as ThinkPad,my CLS GE does the same. 80K,FSH and 2 gearbox services !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Have you tried the adaptive reset?

OP
dannyfiveforty

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
What frustrates me is my fathers 2013 car does not do it. I have tried the reset yes, but not sure if this does anything or it is placebo??

Mercedes dealer said that 3-4th has a slight 'figure' variation which they said suggest very early stage of clutch.. is this valve body??

Many thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The early 7G isn't the most smooth of transmission and they have ironed out most of the issues.

If it hasn't had the gearbox oil and filter done recently I would highly recommend you do. Make sure the TC is drained as well and if you want to go the extra mile, drop the valve body and clean it all out.

A indy will charge you about £300 to do all of the above and about £200 to do a full oil change.

Extrucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 c class w204 200
The early 7G isn't the most smooth of transmission and they have ironed out most of the issues.

If it hasn't had the gearbox oil and filter done recently I would highly recommend you do. Make sure the TC is drained as well and if you want to go the extra mile, drop the valve body and clean it all out.

A indy will charge you about £300 to do all of the above and about £200 to do a full oil change.
My car was doing it, so I put it back to factory settings and now it's seemless. Ray

OP
dannyfiveforty

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Ok, My Local dealer has now adjusted some shift point parameters. It is better, but not right still.

1-2 and 2-1 is worst, a noticeable jerk. 2-3 and 3-2 is still there but dosnt seem as bad. Also if I slow to a stop (eg red light) as the light changes and I slowly ease my foot of the brake I can feel it jerk into gear.

Gearbox oil was changed approx 15000 miles ago at main dealer. No fault codes suggest it isnt the speed plate, could it be a valve body problem, or clutch??

By the way may 2 out of every 10 journeys, the gearbox operates faultless, even from cold...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
interesting you notice the first four...

in another post I typed this description of the first 4 yesterday,

rough, nasty, rough, ****** hell, then I didn't notice any more

and I agree with think pad....

Sorry to say this, .... I would say this is completely normal.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
interesting you notice the first four...

in another post I typed this description of the first 4 yesterday,

rough, nasty, rough, ****** hell, then I didn't notice any more

and I agree with think pad....

Agreed, the 7G box is like a bag of spanners until it warms up.

Never makes a good job of a change down when slowing down uphill, no matter how warm the oil is.

OP
dannyfiveforty

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Thanks guys, at least I am not the only one.

If it is in fact worse when cold, would this likely to be valve body related? Or clutch? What are symptoms of clutch?

I'm still nervous somthing is not right as driving my dads e350 7g is silky..

Thanks

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I i kind of got used to it, always used to get that feeling 'uh'oh, something is wrong!! But it definitely isn't so relax!
And yes always worse when cold. I became used to quite big and embarrassing jerks (when someone else was in the car they could notice it too!)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Interestingly my 642 blueffiency engine has what I consider to be a very low tickover at about 550rpm from cold start which doesn't help the gearbox, whether this is normal I don't know as I've nothing to compare against. What is apparent is that when the car does a DPF regeneration and the tickover increases to 800rpm the gear changes are more progressive and smoother. The car goes in for it's annual service soon so will ask the question regarding cold running tick-over speed as I feel 550 is too low and it should be higher

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks guys, at least I am not the only one.

If it is in fact worse when cold, would this likely to be valve body related? Or clutch? What are symptoms of clutch?

I'm still nervous somthing is not right as driving my dads e350 7g is silky..

Thanks

I think you'll find the "premium car" manufactures like to consider them DESIGN FEATURES....

they don't do faults... that way they can continue to pedal dodgy rubbish and mugs keep buying them

v8disco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CLS 350 cdi Blue efficiency
Interestingly my 642 blueffiency engine has what I consider to be a very low tickover at about 550rpm from cold start which doesn't help the gearbox, whether this is normal I don't know as I've nothing to compare against. What is apparent is that when the car does a DPF regeneration and the tickover increases to 800rpm the gear changes are more progressive and smoother. The car goes in for it's annual service soon so will ask the question regarding cold running tick-over speed as I feel 550 is too low and it should be higher

Ah, That explains the high Tickover every fortnight or so. Now I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

v8disco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CLS 350 cdi Blue efficiency
I i kind of got used to it, always used to get that feeling 'uh'oh, something is wrong!! But it definitely isn't so relax!
And yes always worse when cold. I became used to quite big and embarrassing jerks (when someone else was in the car they could notice it too!)

Mine is quite smooth when cold, silky when warm, and low speed changes are much worse when good and hot. Having a dealer service in a couple of weeks and will get them to run a diagnostic on the gearbox

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My 2009 E320cdi , 80K miles is very smooth , it has had 2 ATF/filter services in its life though , I don't know if that would make a difference .

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
I have the same on my 350 ML . After 2 - 3 miles its gets better. I take it the adaptive reset is the ignition accelerator process ?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have the same on my 350 ML . After 2 - 3 miles its gets better. I take it the adaptive reset is the ignition accelerator process ?

No, and I’m not even sure there is such a thing. The cars throttle is fly by wire, monitored by the Engine ECU and is nothing to do with the gearbox...?!

Adaptation reset and set up is done with the star machine.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom