My SL500 ownership one year on.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Today is the 1st anniversary since I bought my 2004 SL500, the time has gone by very quickly. In that time I have covered 2512 miles for a cost of £485 in fuel. My total expenditure on the car for maintenance has been £1,875 which I think is pretty good for these cars. Car insurance last year was £368 but this year it has gone down to £309, road tax has stayed the same at £297. The car has behaved well and not missed a beat. I have loved every minute of driving the car and can't wait for the sunny weather to come back. Top down motoring is a blast!
2017-08-16 10.31.03.jpg

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
Thanks for the feedback flowrider, care to breakdown the £1875 expenditure or merely servicing and consumables?

P

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I had the roof down in our 230 in Friday night. Just 9 degrees but still toasty inside.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thanks for the feedback flowrider, care to breakdown the £1875 expenditure or merely servicing and consumables?

P
I've spent a lot on getting the car to a known state.

ABC flush
Renewed brake fluid
ATF oil and filter change
Air filters replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Cabin filters replaced
Engine oil and filter service
Engine breathers resealed and breather pipes replaced
Resealed the boot seals
New front lower suspension arm

Plus some small inexpensive jobs.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)

ABC flush
Renewed brake fluid
Air filters replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Cabin filters replaced
Resealed the boot seals

Ok................time to sell it................ and buy another MB money pit :)

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Ok................time to sell it................ and buy another MB money pit :)
No, next year will hopefully be a nice inexpensive year, apart from servicing there should be no big bills. Fingers crossed!

The ML350 will be the next car sold.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Excellent update thanks , she is looking shiny . Maybe a little diff oil refresh as well :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We are looking at our 230 maintenance budget at the moment...
So far we've spent £900 On paint and panel to sort some rust issues and paint mismatches and are going to get the left rear ABC strut replaced. With its mileage we also plan to budget for a new SBC pump next year too. The only questio we have for ourselves is do we replace the right front strut as well as it doesn't go to the fully lifted height. I suppose we should budget for it and cross our fingers we don' need it....

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
ABC issues are my biggest worry, the pump was replaced a month before I bought the SL but struts and valve blocks can still ruin my bank balance, not forgetting possibly having to replace any of the hydraulic pipework.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

ABC flush
Renewed brake fluid
Air filters replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Cabin filters replaced
Resealed the boot seals

It's amazing how much it tots up to, getting a car really up to tip top condition.
I keep convincing myself its worth it.
I genuinely believe anyone with a brain, who knows these cars, should / would value the work you have had done. :):)
But I have a nagging doubt a lot dont! .... oh well they will learn fast LOL!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The only questio we have for ourselves is do we replace the right front strut as well as it doesn't go to the fully lifted height. I suppose we should budget for it and cross our fingers we don' need it....

Alistair I think this is more likely to be valve block which can be cleaned/repaired, if strut fails it will show signs of leakage.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alistair I think this is more likely to be valve block which can be cleaned/repaired, if strut fails it will show signs of leakage.
I've yet to have a good look but it could equally be a height sensor. I put the i980 on it the other day and that side height sensor was a little erratic in its behaviour so may be sticking or faulty.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Having seen Lostkiwi's S210 thread and his cost per mile i thought i would work out my SL cost. I wish i hadn't as it came out to £1.20 per mile all in!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
they aint cheap to run ,i buy a few bits every time i come home, its not that that irritates its just how easily you can end up a long way from home looking a car transporter and horrific get home, repair costs even a car transporter that wont scrape the bottom off the car in some parts of europe could be an issue. and i am blxxdy fussy about my maintainance. do i chuck the abc pump away at 35 odd k miles for peace of mind all hydraulic pipes, they are 13 yr old. or just hope. and even if i change them who says one cant get one bum crimp job and new pipe lets fly. or does one just stay within 100 mile of home!!!!!!!!!!

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Having seen Lostkiwi's S210 thread and his cost per mile i thought i would work out my SL cost. I wish i hadn't as it came out to £1.20 per mile all in!

I could live with that ....Have you taken a bus ,train, or taxi ride lately the cost can be quite scary,so £1.20 pm to ride in a beautiful comfy car like yours nuff said!!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I could live with that ....Have you taken a bus ,train, or taxi ride lately the cost can be quite scary,so £1.20 pm to ride in a beautiful comfy car like yours nuff said!!

I use an example for travel costs that puts an interesting slant on things, but not by car.

I have the dubious pleasure of having to visit Londinium, sometimes in the peak morning rush, or after. Peak fare for the pleasure of standing in a hot sweaty overcrowded oven is 78 pence per mile, plus getting to and from the station, car park etc, and rip off refreshments. This reduces to 38ppm off peak, where I might get to sit in a p155 stained seat, plus refreshments if required, plus to/fro station and car park.

Fly Business Class to Dubai, Australia, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Dubai. Collected from home by chauffeur service. Check in and arrive in Gate Lounge within 1 hour. Have a few drinks, something to eat before boarding. At each stopover a chauffeur service to hotel (in Dubai it's gratis for flying BC) and return to airport, use lounges. Arrive back in UK and chauffeur service to home. 8.9 to 11.3 pence per mile depending on how far ahead booked. No sweaty crowds, no standing, no hassle.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Bear in mind I have spent a fair bit on getting the car up to spec, well my spec anyway. Some of the items I spent money on may not have been needed but as I didn't know when they were last done I did them anyway for piece of mind.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom