Internet car forums argh.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
FFS.

We are vaguely pondering changing the missus Yaris - it's a great little car but not the best for her commute.

She really wants a quick-clear windscreen, like we had on our 04 Focus, and which was superb.

When I google "which cars have heated front screens" all the car forums have threads with exactly the same structure:

"What other cars have heated front screens"
"What do you want that for it's crap."
"No, it's great."
"Crap"
"Great"
"I just use de-icer"
"No, de-icer is horrible."
"Heated front screens are crap!"
"NO! They're great"
"I use a sheet"
"I use warm water"
"I use my butt cheeks."

And so on it goes. 100s of pages and noone answers the chuffing question.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Aye,
I've been on Audi, Peugeot and Jeep forums with similar useless results. If it 'aint about bigger wheels or louder stereos they don't have much to offer.

At least here if I don't get the answer I'm not reading dumb responses.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Generally it seems they are mainly on Fords. Maybe they had a patent. But the Ford ones work very well in my experience.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ford had the patent until 2010/11 but then it lapsed so other manufacturers could offer them. The one on our Focus was superb and personally I didn't notice the thin element lines. They don't seem to have been taken up by many other makers though which surprises me.

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Generally it seems they are mainly on Fords. Maybe they had a patent. But the Ford ones work very well in my experience.

Yes, I think that's right and the reason Land Rover and Jaguar offer them. Not sure about Volvo from their previous tie up.

Just read that VW offer them. They're great by the way.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Qashqais have heated front screens. And they're cheap to run and surprisingly spacious.

How much coverage do you get with your cheeks? I use an IcePlane myself.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
From what's been in the workshop here OEM:

Ford Focus Ka
Vauxhall Corsa
VW Golf
Nissan Qashqai
BMW Mini
Jaguar XF S XE
Land Rover (cant remember type)

You can fit a custom heated windscreen I've done a few from these guys, last one was an E90 £450 all in.

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/heated-windscreens.html

With or without timer relay, this is an example only, we build our own unit with or without thermistor..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-swit...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KK28NA8B70Q06TM6WZFJ

Last edited:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
A friend has one on his Skoda, don't know model, and he always complains that they interfere with his vision.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
They are blooming awesome and wish I had it on the Mercedes.

I had it on a Jaguar and loved watching the ice roll off the screen in the mornings.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A friend has one on his Skoda, don't know model, and he always complains that they interfere with his vision.

Re: element wires
If you look for them you see them.
But if your vision is focused on the road ahead you don't really notice.

FFS.

We are vaguely pondering changing the missus Yaris

Shame as there's a Yaris heated screen upgrade.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Bubble wrap tucked under the wipers across the screen for me.
Peel off, toss in boot, drive away.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bubble wrap tucked under the wipers across the screen for me.
Peel off, toss in boot, drive away.

If you use your screen wash/wipers and then have ice spread across the screen,
heated screen keeps it clear from icing over especially on motorways in low temps.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Ford Focus Ka
Vauxhall Corsa
VW Golf
Nissan Qashqai
BMW Mini
Jaguar XF S XE

You can fit a custom heated windscreen I've done a few from these guys, last one was an E90 £450 all in.

With or without timer relay, this an example, we build our own unit with or without thermistor..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-swit...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KK28NA8B70Q06TM6WZFJ

I never thought of retrofitting, cheers!

It's not so bad in the morning as I just run an extension lead from the garage with a little fan heater in each car for about 5 minutes each and that defrosts it all. It's after work when it's sat in a cold car park.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Ford Focus Ka
Vauxhall Corsa
VW Golf
Nissan Qashqai
BMW Mini
Jaguar XF S XE

With or without timer relay, this is an example only, we build our own unit with or without thermistor..

The only problem with retrofitting heated screen is... it's a Really Big Current Draw and the logic in the body control module to handle the staging in and out of electrical users HAS to be designed around it. If it isn't, then on sub zero day with radio, blower, headlights etc on or ready to turn on when the key is turned to POS 3, the heated screen draw can cause other users to blow.

Been there, done that...........

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only problem with retrofitting heated screen is... it's a Really Big Current Draw and the logic in the body control module to handle the staging in and out of electrical users HAS to be designed around it. If it isn't, then on sub zero day with radio, blower, headlights etc on or ready to turn on when the key is turned to POS 3, the heated screen draw can cause other users to blow.

Been there, done that...........

Of course.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Back in the day when I had Dagenham Dustbins (Ford) as company cars, the heated windscreens were very good.

The 'Max' button on the Mercs works well to de-ice.

My preferred method is warm water and a silicone blade. Whilst you are at home waiting for the morning cuppa to cool sufficiently to drink, fill a jug from the hot water tap, not those fancy boil tap things, and the warm water is sufficient to de-ice all the windows. Pour from the top, swipe with the blade, job done on all windows. I also do the lights, front and rear. Only takes a few minutes.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem is this don't help once you have set off and ice forms on the windscreen when driving
obscuring your view.
A heated screen keeps the ice from smearing across the screen when wipers are in use.

As for Mercedes there was an option code on a W211 979 iirc, for heated screen and door glass.
Probably others too.

:)

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Had one on a 1991 Range Rover. Worked very well.
It has to be very cold for water to turn to ice on the windscreen when driving if you have demisters on.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom