Internet car forums argh.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Had one on a 1991 Range Rover. Worked very well.
It has to be very cold for water to turn to ice on the windscreen when driving if you have demisters on.

Yep ............ especially on the motorway :)

I used to set off from home to workshops 20 miles away, motorway was only 3 mins from home, my Merc heater took ages to get hot enough to demist the screen let alone melt ice.
My daughters ford Ka 2007 had a heated screen, it was cleared by the time I was out the end of the road and stayed clear on the motorway till the heater was hot enough to take over and I mean full temp.

Anyway I'm done here :)

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It has to be very cold for water to turn to ice on the windscreen when driving if you have demisters on.

Maybe, but I've had de-icer re-freeze on my screen when I've given the screen a single wipe. I've yet to have a heated windscreen & am very surprised that more manufacturers don't yet fit them

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Two litre empty milk container filled with luke warm water, pour on front screen, turn wipers on. job done, with enough left to do all the other windows !
dont satnavs and mobiles have problems with heated front screens ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My old 210 seems to have missed the winter testing memo- its slow to warm up and the cars goes all bambi on me in winter despite my better tyres.
A heated anything would be a treat on a cold day.
Another reason for me to buy a new one I suppose.
A diesel Webasto heater operated by remote has been on my wish list for a while but I never seem to get around to it.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
dont satnavs and mobiles have problems with heated front screens ?
Never noticed an issue with my TomTom or mobile when in the focus.

Noelmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2005/4966
Had one on a 1991 Range Rover. Worked very well.
If I remember my RR rightly, the windscreen is so large the element is split so it does one side then the other (1997 P38)

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Some Audi A8s D2/D3 had heated front screens. not sure about other models

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Go to Auto trader and type "heated screen" in the 'more details' window.
Not all cars found will have it so read the description and do further checks but an Alfa Romeo popped up (Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD LUSSO 3 dr) and it says it has heated front screen.
Cute car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
...... but an Alfa Romeo popped up (Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD LUSSO 3 dr) and it says it has heated front screen.
Cute car.

But some traders don't know their harris from their elbow ..... some obviously see the demist button next to the heated rear screen & assume .....

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
That's why I said to do further checks.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Aye, it's not easy identifying if a car has it from the description.

Hence the search of forums and the thread of frustration.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Maybe, but I've had de-icer re-freeze on my screen when I've given the screen a single wipe. I've yet to have a heated windscreen & am very surprised that more manufacturers don't yet fit them
It’s because they’re REALLY expensive. Like they quadruple the cost of the windscreen expensive.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Has nobody seen the ‘night before’ de-icer?
You spray on before the screen freezes and then when the car is frozen the wipers are enough to clear the screen - keep it in the car.
Developed by the army I believe for rapid deployment of vehicles.....

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You spray on, when you park up, before the screen freezes and then when the car is frozen the wipers are enough to clear the screen - keep it in the car.
Developed by the army I believe, for the rapid deployment of vehicles.....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You spray on before the screen freezes and then when the car is frozen the wipers are enough to clear the screen - keep it in the car.
Developed by the army I believe for rapid deployment of vehicles.....
Is it not just a glycol derivative as used on aeroplanes since they discovered icing at altitude? Be interesting to find out.

Anyway, for the army to deploy vehicles rapidly, white Transits usually de-ice pretty fast ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It’s because they’re REALLY expensive. Like they quadruple the cost of the windscreen expensive.
But if Ford can offer one on a Fiesta, then surely 'prestigious' manufactures could offer them on their £40k plus cars. Was there the same argument when heated rear screens first came out?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it not just a glycol derivative as used on aeroplanes since they discovered icing at altitude? Be interesting to find out.

Anyway, for the army to deploy vehicles rapidly, white Transits usually de-ice pretty fast ;)
I’ll fetch the can, later and post a pic & list of ingredients etc.
The car (and can) is at the MOT testers at the moment, where it failed on the number plates not showing the makers name and character spacing, £20 for new plates required :mad::mad: frustrating as the digits are wider spaced, not condensed to look like something else...:rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I’ll fetch the can, later and post a pic & list of ingredients etc.
The car (and can) is at the MOT testers at the moment, where it failed on the number plates not showing the makers name and character spacing, £20 for new plates required :mad::mad: frustrating as the digits are wider spaced, not condensed to look like something else...:rolleyes:

Has your MOT tester not met this month's target? While the digits were correctly spaced, the plates on my last car didn' have the suppliers name on them & my tester never even made comment

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

Would have thought a squaddie would climb above the windscreen and pee over it for rapid deployment. Adapt, improvise, overcome. :geek:

Can't go round it, can't go over it, gotta go through it as the marines are taught.:eek:

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don’t know what the issue is, but the laws are the laws I suppose and he did mention that “if a VOSA inspector walked in” etc etc suspect he was a traffic warden previously ;):rolleyes:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom