Difference between Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and the 4 S?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I inherited a set of Accelleras, changed the fronts to Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3s, but decided to wait till September for the launch of the same model in 275 / 40 R19s.
Still not available in my tyre size.

The wet colder winter temps have truly exposed the Accelleras shocking grip in the wet.
I need to change them.

The other tyre that seems to get rave reviews are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. But yet again none in my size :(

One tyre shop said the Pilot Sport 4, werent a patch on the 4 S. ??? "Very mediocre v brilliant"

Anyone had first hand experience with these?

With 6mm of tread on the Accelleras, If I have to shell out for a pair, I really would like to get the best I can.

Open to other recommendations?

It appears they use very uncommon tyre sizes on the CL500s rears. :-/

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you are happy with the Goodyear Assy F1 3's why not get the Assy F1 2's instead of changing brand?
That is what I'd do anyway.

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
Not tried them myself but they both get great reviews from owners on the Porsche forums. I have not heard from anyone who has tried both. I am not sure if the sizes overlap much, I know for instance that the sizes for my 911 are available in PS4 but not 4S.
Both the 4 and the 4 S seem to be a major step forward on the previous generation Michelin tyres for the Porsches and they will be fitted to my 911 when I next need a set.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If you are happy with the Goodyear Assy F1 3's why not get the Assy F1 2's instead of changing brand?
That is what I'd do anyway.
That seems like one of my few options.
My reluctance to shell out on the 2s were reports the 3s were quite a big improvement, and should be released immenently ( ha ha!). I’d be miffed if the 3s came out the week after going with the 2s.
So I thought I would go Michelin with the 4S, as that seems to be the top tyre at the moment.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The Goodyear will work well together, GY and Michelin may not, there have been reports of bad handling because of not having a fully matched set of Michelins on a car.

Stick the GY on it, you can't go wrong

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Not tried them myself but they both get great reviews from owners on the Porsche forums. I have not heard from anyone who has tried both. I am not sure if the sizes overlap much, I know for instance that the sizes for my 911 are available in PS4 but not 4S.
Both the 4 and the 4 S seem to be a major step forward on the previous generation Michelin tyres for the Porsches and they will be fitted to my 911 when I next need a set.
Thanks for the info.
I did see one advert for PS 4S in 275 x 40 R19 105Y . Mine should be R19 101Y. ( currently has 105Ys !)
The CL63 uses 19 ZR XL.
And to confuse matters more in the manual there is a section under AMG*
CL500 column showing both R19 101Y and 19ZR XL??

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The Goodyear will work well together, GY and Michelin may not, there have been reports of bad handling because of not having a fully matched set of Michelins on a car.

Stick the GY on it, you can't go wrong

Actually that is a very valid point. And the F1 2 and F1 3 look like a very similar tread pattern.
I had forgotten I once mixed Direction with non directional ( same brand ) on a 911 front/rear ... and it really didnt feel happy!

Will look at what deal I can get on the F2s

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And to confuse matters more in the manual there is a section under AMG*
CL500 column showing both R19 101Y and 19ZR XL??

Just giving options on different ways to denote the Load / speed Rating on the tyre

101 - Load Rating
Y - Speed Rating

XL - Load Rating
Z - Speed Rating

Either will be correct for the car

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had forgotten I once mixed Direction with non directional ( same brand ) on a 911 front/rear ... and it really didnt feel happy!

Provided the directional are on the rear it should be OK, directional front and non directional rear is a definite no no, Porsche are notorious and only N rated tyres should be used with then in complete matched sets

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Provided the directional are on the rear it should be OK, directional front and non directional rear is a definite no no, Porsche are notorious and only N rated tyres should be used with then in complete matched sets

Yep911s definitely were very tyre fussy. An Expensive lesson, I would like to avoid.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Best deal so far is

GY F1 Assy 2 £159 each. A rated in wet
Michelin PS 4 S £270 each. B rated in Wet.

I dont think my driving style justifies the extra £222 for the Michelin on the rears p.

Just hope I see a decent improvement over the Accelleras.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Best deal so far is

GY F1 Assy 2 £159 each. A rated in wet
Michelin PS 4 S £270 each. B rated in Wet.

I dont think my driving style justifies the extra £222 for the Michelin on the rears p.

Just hope I see a decent improvement over the Accelleras.

The Michelin is not worth that much more, my mum has Assy 2 all round on her C class and they are excellent, for £159 each it is a no brainer to put them on.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m with JB, the Michelins are not going to give you 41% better wear life to shadow the price premium.
That’s also a very good price for the GY too

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I don't think the difference between the two will be dramatic.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I’m with JB, the Michelins are not going to give you 41% better wear life to shadow the price premium.
That’s also a very good price for the GY too

Pretty much my thoughts, I am hoping one would have to push them so hard to expose any difference in roadholding my pretty conservative driving style would never see it, and doing circa 2,600 miles per annum, “EVEN IF” the PS 4S’s lasted a lot longer ? The car would probably have gone by then. :)

Just waiting for my tyre guy to be sure they arent a dot 2013.
I would prefer tyres under 18 months old.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom