Tracker Question...

E63S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63S W213
I am getting the dealership to fit a tracker when my new car finally arrives. I have been given two options - Tracker, or Tracker Plus. I have zero knowledge of such things, but I don’t particularly want to pick a duff tracker when I could get a better version for not much more. I’ve been given a PDF copy of the options, and to the untrained eye they look fairly similar. Is it worth paying that bit extra for a “Plus”?

The other query I have is in regard to Thatcham categories. It seems that the most basic theft prevention measures are catergorised as 1, then the more secure features increase up to a cat 7. However, the Tracker Plus is a cat 6, and the standard Tracker is a 7.

I’m confused. Please help.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Personally I wouldn't bother with a Tracker. I'd be looking to stop the car going in the first place so Autowatch Ghost would be top of my list then add a basic chinese tracker as a backup.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Get an Autowatch Ghost from COMAND Online- better than a tracker!!!

Edit- beaten to it!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I agree with LostKiwi on the chinese tracker.. I paid under £20 for the unit which is waterproof, connects to power and acc.
You can geo fence it so it texts your phone and rings it if the tracker moves out of the geo fence zone, and if the power is turned on it also alerts you.
You get a link to a website to track your tracker, and a £10 payg sim which last for ages

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I've not been involved with Tracker, in any form, for a great number of years.

The way Tracker works /(worked), is that once the owner becomes aware of the taking of the vehicle, they then have to phone a Control Centre who then remotely activate the device to emit a signal - assuming the unit hasn't already been located and removed from the vehicle.

Once the device is activated, it is then reliant upon a suitably equipped Police vehicle (or helicopter) to be in the general area of the vehicle in order to triangulate the direction in which the vehicle is located.

"Suitably equipped Police vehicles" are those with a four aerial array on the roof, and how often are they seen nowadays?

It is 1980's technology and with the reduction in Roads Policing, and thereby, a reduction in the number of vehicles so equipped, I'd suggest that the money can be better spent elsewhere.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
And that will be why your insurance company won't reduce your premiums :)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I doubt a signal from Tracker is of much use inside a metal container where a nice new E63S would possibly end up.
+1 for the Autowatch Ghost from Command Online reduced to £349 fitted for forum members.
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
Depends on which Tracker is fitted.
The basic unit you tell them your vehicle is missing.
The more sophisticated units they tell you it's moved.
Also check subscription costs.

Can't comment on Ghost or cheap trackers never fitted them.
Good recovery rate from stolen cars with tracker.
Fitted loads when I was at Mercedes.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ghost then your car won’t go anywhere without you!
I’ve one fitted and it’s clever kit

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I couldn't insure mine without a tracker fitted. :(

I appreciate that they're not as efficient now as they were a few years ago and most thieves have the knowledge to by-pass them, but if your insurance company state you need one (or it's not covered for theft) then you have no option really.

Insurance Company said:
As long as the tracker fitted is Thatcham Category 5 or 7 approved, then any make/model is fine.

I received the above by email and, as it happens, the car already had one fitted by the dealer so I just had to get it transferred to me which the dealership did as a freebie. :)

Reading into the above, I'd probably just go for the cheapest available, as long as it meets the criteria above, and use the money you save on either a Stealth Guardian or Autowatch Ghost to compliment it.

Last edited:
OP
E

E63S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63S W213
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The biggest danger you have is the keyless entry. Very easy to circumvent unless you take precautions (which in itself makes the convenience of keyless entry inconvenient). Ghost (and other products) circumvent this vulnerability by providing an additional layer of security otherwise you are totally reliant on the Tracker to get your car back as opposed to stopping it going in the first place.

OP
E

E63S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63S W213
The biggest danger you have is the keyless entry. Very easy to circumvent unless you take precautions (which in itself makes the convenience of keyless entry inconvenient). Ghost (and other products) circumvent this vulnerability by providing an additional layer of security otherwise you are totally reliant on the Tracker to get your car back as opposed to stopping it going in the first place.
I keep reading horror stories about the keyless entry. It’s not a particularly good system, is it!

I’ve bought a faraday pouch for when the keys are laying around. It’s going to be garaged when not used for any period of time, and we’ve also got electronic security gates and high walls, so I think it will still be tricky to break in to it even when I can’t be bothered to put it in the garage. I guess my biggest fear is when it’s away from home, in a public car park or parked on the street.

Maybe buying a Trabant would have been a far less stressful experience! :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess my biggest fear is when it’s away from home, in a public car park or parked on the street.
This is exactly it. Any time you leave the car in a public place its vulnerable. One scenario is you park up in a carpark. Someone nearby parks up and gets their briefcase out of their boot and walk near you towards the exit. Most people would think nothing of this.
Inside the briefcase is one half of the relay equipment and a colleague is meanwhile next to your car. Before you've even left the carpark the car could be open and started.
Sadly it really is that easy with most keyless entry systems. Its a gaping security flaw the manufacturers really need to do something about.

OP
E

E63S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63S W213
This is exactly it. Any time you leave the car in a public place its vulnerable. One scenario is you park up in a carpark. Someone nearby parks up and gets their briefcase out of their boot and walk near you towards the exit. Most people would think nothing of this.
Inside the briefcase is one half of the relay equipment and a colleague is meanwhile next to your car. Before you've even left the carpark the car could be open and started.
Sadly it really is that easy with most keyless entry systems. Its a gaping security flaw the manufacturers really need to do something about.

Would a faraday pouch and/or a double click of the lock button prevent this from happening?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
The way round this is for insurance companies to refuse insurance or make it prohibitively expensive on vehicles with keyless go until the manufacturers fix it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would a faraday pouch and/or a double click of the lock button prevent this from happening?
Possibly but as results from the double click are variable and it appears not all faraday pouches are created equal I would test both solutions before relying on them.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I've not been involved with Tracker, in any form, for a great number of years.

The way Tracker works /(worked), is that once the owner becomes aware of the taking of the vehicle, they then have to phone a Control Centre who then remotely activate the device to emit a signal - assuming the unit hasn't already been located and removed from the vehicle.

The gps trackers also use mobile phone sim card, and they still work in a steel box, such as inside a ship !
You can follow them live via an app... non of this going through a 3rd party tracking company that charges you a crazy fee.
Can be bought for as little as £6, and no more fees other than sim card cost. tracker.png
And its a boat, thats why its in the water !

DrJon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Cab 2017
I have read this thread with interest. I can certainly see the advantages of the Ghost system but its not cheap. I confess I was wondering whether to simply buy one of the old fashioned steering wheel locks which may not be perfect but they would probably act as a disincentive and they are certainly cheaper. Thoughts?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't bother with one. They can be circumvented in seconds by most car thieves.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom