C250 CGI Timing Chain

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
Just for something to do. This is what a new cam chain looks like.

Silver.

Sort of sticks out a bit doesn't it.

Are you saying this one wasn't replaced?!! After exposing everything I have now realised nothing was replaced. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_155336.jpg
    IMG_20171218_155336.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 29

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Are you saying this one wasn't replaced?!! :mad:
I doubt it Dan.

If i can draw your attention to post #5 and that golden colour of your engine parts. Mine are just the same, except for the new bits. My new chain was fitted on the 9th December 2017 and is used daily. It will slowly change colour as the heat of the engine slowly burns the oil but it will take many months if not years.

At best they fitted a second hand chain, to save £50??

I pulled the top off mine because i was curious, that image was taken yesterday and the new cam chain still looks....well...new.

Sorry mate.

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
I doubt it Dan.

If i can draw your attention to post #5 and that golden colour of your engine parts. Mine are just the same, except for the new bits. My new chain was fitted on the 9th December 2017 and is used daily. It will slowly change colour as the heat of the engine slowly burns the oil but it will take many months if not years.

At best they fitted a second hand chain, to save £50??

I pulled the top off mine because i was curious, that image was taken yesterday and the new cam chain still looks....well...new.

Sorry mate.

I'm only joking, I realise that nothing was changed. This is a long and bizarre story that I will tell if things aren't resolved to my satisfaction. I have checked everything (gears, chain, tensioner, oil filter etc) and nothing is new.

IMG_20171218_190357.jpg

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
"This service was carried out at my home address and he gave up when it got dark and said he would be prepared to return and diagnose the issue further"

Odd one this, what sort of charade did he engage in outside your house for presumably many hours.

To me it looks like he did diddly squat.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I'm only joking, I realise that nothing was changed. This is a long and bizarre story that I will tell if things aren't resolved to my satisfaction. I have checked everything (gears, chain, tensioner, oil filter etc) and nothing is new.

View attachment 40721
That tensioner is all the way out as well. That chain is stretched to buggery.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
That te
That tensioner is all the way out as well. That chain is stretched to buggery.

The tensioner will be all the way out as it pops out as it is removed.

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
"This service was carried out at my home address and he gave up when it got dark and said he would be prepared to return and diagnose the issue further"

Odd one this, what sort of charade did he engage in outside your house for presumably many hours.

To me it looks like he did diddly squat.
Wish I knew. Unfortunately I wasn't there for most of it as I had to go away on a work trip, my girlfriend was there but he went as far as showing her the "used" gears that had no wear on them. I reckon he dirtied the new ones but I struggle to understand why you would go to all that effort to nick the parts at the risk of getting found out.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
That te

The tensioner will be all the way out as it pops out as it is removed.
Apologies. At first glance the tensioner looked the same as mine in the M111, which is the two part assemble rather than the solid type employed in the M271. I can't think why MB would want to change the design other than save money. But they have and i didn't spot it.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
It would seem the "mechanic" came to diagnose the problem,
didn't know what the hell he was doing,
run away hoping he wasn't going to be called back to the job,
then over priced the misdiagnosed fault to put you off repairing it
then offered to "help you out" by buying the defective car off you.

Anything to do with replacing the chain sprockets tensioner etc is pure bollocks.

IMHO

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
Due to this becoming the most ridiculous situation I have ever been involved with and the fact it hasn't been resolved, here is the full (short version) story.

The work was meant to be completed through M271, they sent the "mechanic" out to do the work. The owner of the company claims he had been ripped off by the mechanic too who had bodged the job. Apparently the mechanic changed his number and they had fallen out over it. Then ensued weeks of backwards and forwards with the owner of the company at first saying he would get the car transported to him and repaired. This never happened, he then out of the blue (on tuesday) told me a mechanic was coming down to do the work. He never turned up after I had taken half a day off work over it. Last night he informed me someone was coming at 3pm today, bearing in mind it's dark at 4pm! It gets to 5pm and after trying to call them, I get a message from the original mechanic who ripped me off saying he was on his way!! I told him under no circumstances was he touching my car and he went mad swearing and saying he had changed everything even though I know that not to be true. I am convinced he never left his house.

So i'm now completely stuck, the car isn't fixed and i'm over £2k out of pocket with hire car expenses etc. So, this is also a cry for help! Is there anyone who can help me out in getting the car fixed, I just need someone trustworthy to get the car back on the road? I'm based in Wiltshire

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are a couple of first rate garages used by many on here depending where you are.
STAR in Reading - Ian has a good reputation and is a regular on here.
Steve at Avantgarde near Bristol - superb reputation and highly respected and a regular forum contributor.
Cole at MBS in Southampton - another forum regular with an excellent reputation and who our own forum guru Television (RIP) used for his SL and CL.
Talk to one of them and tell them what's happened and I'm sure they will help you out.
I'd also be looking to take the garage who did(n't) repair it to small claims to recover your costs.

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
There are a couple of first rate garages used by many on here depending where you are.
STAR in Reading - Ian has a good reputation and is a regular on here.
Steve at Avantgarde near Bristol - superb reputation and highly respected and a regular forum contributor.
Cole at MBS in Southampton - another forum regular with an excellent reputation and who our own forum guru Television (RIP) used for his SL and CL.
Talk to one of them and tell them what's happened and I'm sure they will help you out.
I'd also be looking to take the garage who did(n't) repair it to small claims to recover your costs.

Thanks LostKiwi. I will be taking them to small claims to recover costs. Looking at that list, @Steve@Avantgarde is closest. I never thought i'd lose so much sleep over a car!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks LostKiwi. I will be taking them to small claims to recover costs. Looking at that list, @Steve@Avantgarde is closest
I'd trust any of them to do a great job and keep you informed as to progress and what's been found.

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
I'd trust any of them to do a great job and keep you informed as to progress and what's been found.
That would be very refreshing. I'm amazed that the mechanic maintains that he has changed all the parts when I have proof that he hasn't!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That would be very refreshing. I'm amazed that the mechanic maintains that he has changed all the parts when I have proof that he hasn't!
He has got no choice but to stick to his story now he has started on that line .
May be worth considering the possibility of criminal charges in this case ??

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
He has got no choice but to stick to his story now he has started on that line .
May be worth considering the possibility of criminal charges in this case ??
Very true. I do have a friend who is a solicitor, she is advising me on the best course of action now. It's already been going on since November so it's looking like i'm in it for the long run! I'm just amazed that the company has done this, they have sold hundreds of these kits online and have been mentioned on several forums, thats why I thought they'd be ok.

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
I feel for you, i really do. I wished you were a lot closer, i'd help you do the job.
Very kind of you to say so, it has been massively stressful, completely buggered up my christmas.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thanks LostKiwi. I will be taking them to small claims to recover costs. Looking at that list, @Steve@Avantgarde is closest. I never thought i'd lose so much sleep over a car!

Hi Dan,

I have just seen your tag on my profile and thought I would have a read and get in touch. Sorry you are having problems. If you want to PM me the full story in confidence please do so and if we can help, we will do our best. You aren't a million miles away, but not around the corner either!

Regards

Steve

OP
D

dan ennis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 250cgi
Hi Dan,

I have just seen your tag on my profile and thought I would have a read and get in touch. Sorry you are having problems. If you want to PM me the full story in confidence please do so and if we can help, we will do our best. You aren't a million miles away, but not around the corner either!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting in touch, much appreciated. I will pm you the full story later once i've ferried my kids to the appropriate clubs!
Cheers
Dan

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom