SL55 autotrader -- wide range in pricing

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
All the SL55's linked so far are missing the wind deflector which is expensive to replace but in my opinion is an essential piece of kit.

Well spotted! I'd not noticed. Personally I drive my SLK (on the motorway) roof down with no wind-deflector AND the windows down so maximise the turbulence. I think it looks better. And feels better.

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
Yes the rear sensors are definitely aftermarket as they are not flush. The front display is the clock only unit and there is no switch to disable the Parktronic on the centre console. I found numerous R230's with aftermarket parking sensors added when I was searching for my SL500.

If the security issues around "Keyless Go" revolve around relaying the signal, then the early examples (2002 - 2004) with the separate key card could be made secure by removing the batteries and leaving the card somewhere safe.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
.................................and leaving the card somewhere safe.

Certainly agree there, my card is......Well..........Somewhere safe :confused:

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
I bought my 2003 SL55, Black with red leather, No keyless Go, full MB service history and about 4 owners, 64k on the clock about a year ago. At the time I remember reading that I should avoid cars under the £20k mark as supposedly cars under this value will not be "sorted". I ended up spending £16,750 on my car knowing there were a few things I need to tackle. Since then I have spent another £4kish(mostly parts only) on the car including a major overall of the front suspension(2 x new struts, valve block rebuild, new hoses, ABC fluid flush, Strut arms, spring link bushings, etc). I still have a list of outstanding minor tasks, most of which are not critical but my goal is to have the car in top condition. Luckily I have the skills to carry out most of the tasks on the car myself so I avoid some of the eye watering labour charges which these cars can generate.

Ideally if you could find a car that has recently had big money spent on ABC, SBC Pump and the roof seals then you have a better chance of avoiding some of the big bills with these cars.

Here are some minor things to also check for.

Heated Seats - Check that the seat bases are working and not just the seat backs.
Driver side auto dimming mirror - Check that the glass is not bronzed as the replacement glass is ££££
Side mirror Indicators - Check for condensation.
Service History - An obvious one but check if things like engine mounts, rocker cover gaskets, Supercharger oil have been done
Check for rust on the rear arches.

I have started toying with the idea of moving my car on as I am getting the itch for something different however I am struggling to come up with something as good as the SL55 without spending double the money.

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
I'm not sure the "Keyless Go" problem is that much of an issue with the R230's anyway... Who is going to steal a car that will need £3k spent on the ABC, SBC or some other 3 letter acronym before they get to the end of the street :p

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I'm not sure the "Keyless Go" problem is that much of an issue with the R230's anyway... Who is going to steal a car that will need £3k spent on the ABC, SBC or some other 3 letter acronym before they get to the end of the street :p

A Muppet o_O

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Colchester... why?
I ask as on the ‘other side’ someone is getting the red One inspected with a view to purchase - they’re in Southampton and the car is Rochdale...thought you should know but wasn’t sure if you and he may be the same person!

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
"other side?"
I ask as on the ‘other side’ someone is getting the red One inspected with a view to purchase - they’re in Southampton and the car is Rochdale...thought you should know but wasn’t sure if you and he may be the same person!

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
Does it rhyme with men's world?

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
ah ha! is that the one that requires paid membership? If it's worth it, I'll join...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I only pop in occasionally there tbh, there’s a lot of crossover and I generally prefer the feel here. The other one again is the ‘only’ official one which I do pay a sub but that’s because they have some ‘local’ division events to me. Their forum is not as lively and fun as on here.

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
I've found the forum, and relevant post, thanks.

I was gonna go take and look at it next week. Very interesting turn of events. The dealer told me that there was somebody else interested, and I just assumed it was a salesman's trick. I wonder what the etiquette is now...

(The main reason I'd be gutted if I miss that that one is cos it's RED!)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I've found the forum, and relevant post, thanks.

I was gonna go take and look at it next week. Very interesting turn of events. The dealer told me that there was somebody else interested, and I just assumed it was a salesman's trick. I wonder what the etiquette is now...

(The main reason I'd be gutted if I miss that that one is cos it's RED!)
I saw your post which I think is the right etiquette- colour looks so is great but tbh the Fire Opal red thing would scare me to death!
If I was going for another SL I’d have palladium again in a flash!

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
I just showed the wife that one, she loves it, I hate it! Marmite!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom