R.I.P

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
when I was at college the tutor got very upset when I thought about blocking air filter on a diesel....

NEVER EVER DO IT - it will just suck skin of your hand and carry on.....
The only way is using a sheet of metal or piece of wood. Anything soft will just get sucked in.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The only way is using a sheet of metal or piece of wood. Anything soft will just get sucked in.

The lad across the road works for a main dealer where a Mondeo tried to kill itself by using its own sump oil. They used a pile of rags to eventually stop the engine. This was after the workshop had been filled with thick black smoke & the fire service had turned up :rolleyes:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
As Malcolm I pulled over behind A car tht was just starting to ingest oil (just starting smoking) grabbed a double duvet cover I kept in my car for grotty servers and general office closures, folded it up as tight as we could and stuffed it into the intake, car splitters after about 20 seconds and died, it didn't however want to give my duvet cover back easily, took two of us to pull it out :confused::mad:

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
sorry for your loss, this happened to a old diesel generator I had very scary to suddenly find it revving, but I always keep a fire extinguisher nearby and also one in the car, in such a event even if it has run away emptying the fire extinguiser at the intake would shut it down in a matter of 5 seconds or less, infact the generator didnt even had any long term damage from the runaway though though it needed a through flush to get rid of the CO2.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Good point - an extinguisher will do the job nicely.
As long as it's not powder or water...

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
when I was at college the tutor got very upset when I thought about blocking air filter on a diesel....

NEVER EVER DO IT - it will just suck skin of your hand and carry on.....

A CO2 fire extinguisher would do it.

Diesel Runaway is usually down to turbo bearing failure. Notice that the OP had had the turbo replaced.

Other causes are:
Over-filling sump.
Using biodiesel (B100), if a DPF is present.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Diesel generator on an oil tanker many years ago before the cargo tanks were fitted with vents that carry the fumes from the cargo high off the deck. Engineer took the generator off load but it started speeding up finally throwing a rod, it was running on the cargo vapour being drawn into the engine room by the air fans. After that they carried a roll of canvas to wrap around the turbo air intake filter.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Diesel generator on an oil tanker many years ago before the cargo tanks were fitted with vents that carry the fumes from the cargo high off the deck. Engineer took the generator off load but it started speeding up finally throwing a rod, it was running on the cargo vapour being drawn into the engine room by the air fans. After that they carried a roll of canvas to wrap around the turbo air intake filter.
Bet the heads were fully occupied that day !

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
I carry a 2kg Co2 in the boot and a 10kg in the van
works a treat on runaway engines :)

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Always thought the US navy called them the Heads, we used to say going to the Bog.

Nothing to do with this thread but the worst fright would have been on the sister ship of the one i was on, they had overhauled the Steam turbo Generator and found the spindle on the actuator of the overspeed trip was worn so they made a new one not realising that a small flat on the spindle was essential. As before taking the unit off load 10,000 rpm the governor jammed the revs increased and the overspeed trip did not work, the duty engineer retreated (very fast) to the boiler room to close the main steam valve but before he could the turbine rotor burst from the casing and did a circuit of the engine room destroying everthing in it's path. We received an urgent message to check ours and report before next use

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I was on the Overseas Discoverer as 4/E in 1970 the sister ship I believe was the London Independence, both built in Sweden in the early 60's, twin screw tankers two 8 cyl Goterverken engines, the Steam T/G was an Alfa Laval, if memory serves it was 650KW, steam from the economisers running at sea and from one of the 3 oil fired scotch boilers when stopped

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I was on the Overseas Discoverer as 4/E in 1970 the sister ship I believe was the London Independence, both built in Sweden in the early 60's, twin screw tankers two 8 cyl Goterverken engines, the Steam T/G was an Alfa Laval, if memory serves it was 650KW, steam from the economisers running at sea and from one of the 3 oil fired scotch boilers when stopped

You've a better memory than me. I left about 30 yrs ago but remember the name Alfa Laval ..... they made oil/water separator centrifuges :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

seeing as the rest of the post went all naval on us....

the tutor specifically mentioned ship engines where quite likely to go bang on start up after an overhaul... and the insurers used to send along someone with a special plate to dump on air intake to stop runaway.... and said its quite a dangerous occupation

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Our tutor said never start the prime mover with the drive disconnected to prevent runaway and overspeed.
did not help when the propeller came loose entering crowded anchorage after repairs,

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
seeing as the rest of the post went all naval on us....

the tutor specifically mentioned ship engines where quite likely to go bang on start up after an overhaul... and the insurers used to send along someone with a special plate to dump on air intake to stop runaway.... and said its quite a dangerous occupation

Engines on my ships were steam driven ;)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom