E300 Hybrid 2014 .... 107K Taxi

Fonaspin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 HYBRID
Hi all,

So engine light on for 3days, diag from Mercedes dealership states DPF needs replaced. Two days later driving to Indo Merc mechanic ....Display message ....'Malfunction' with two amber circles .... power is lost but still driving. Car slows to crawl, I pull over stop. Car restarts and regains power for a day.

Next day same symtoms, slow power and I stop, this time no restart. Recovery required to Indo. Car will now not start at all, full battery charged. Why is the car not starting ...not even turning over?

I have had to restart the car several times with the above scenario, suspect electrics may be the issue with demanding restart of car with a DPF having failed 2days previous?

All good advice welcome.

Fonaspin

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hybrid system fault I would guess, the electric motors in these is attached to the gearbox which is almighty fun
You’re a brave man running one of those as a taxi!

OP
F

Fonaspin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 HYBRID
Hi ,

All good advice on this one welcome , thank you. The car is with a DPF guy who is willing to test and fix the issue with all the assistance he can get...he has a Merc Auto spark also. John I also heard a loud 1second bang just before the car stalled ? Then again car started after a reset ( if this was a large fuse failure , I dont think the car would have started after an ONOFF retry but it did? ). Now I hear you cannot open the ECU on this car ( only Mercedes Dealership can ? Also not sure on this one ) however, we have three possible issues now in heindsight?

1) The diagnostic sheet from Mercedes states a new DPF is required .
2) The engine light was on for 4days with loss of power over that period of time until sys shutdown and restart disabled , again could be symptoms of a failing DPF.
3) An electrical fault in conjunction with the gearbox which was only replaced under warrantly 1 year ago AND which Mercedes dealership has stated is not under warranty as it was replaced during the cars warranty active period, which has now lapsed.

As for using the Hybrid as a taxi, you are correct re: not many Hybrid Mercedes taxi' around, but I am a supporter of Hybrid and EV technology and although its only rolling out, it will become very popular in the future, and the taxi industry will be on board for sure.

Again do contribute all you Hybrid gurus, and together we can solve this issue, I will stay with you on this and publish the fix, when we get there.

Thanks,

fonaspin

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nice you are taking it in the right way for sure!
I’m not a hybrid guru to be honest just someone who suffered a failure in the 2013 version of what you have
In my case the gearbox ECU began the fun followed by hybrid motor and injector replacement. Biggest issue was the interaction between the gearbox and the hybrid unit - basically it wouldn’t and lay in pieces in MB Liverpool for several months.
That was only a 17k mile car
DPF makes sense in your case due to the driving profile but I doubt that’s all - suspecting the gearbox too may have an issue.
On the ECU it’s a different training required by the MB technicians and most dealerships only have one fully trained each. There is more danger present too.
I guess the independent guys will work on these cars now but whether they want to or not is questionable
Sorry I’m not giving you many positives here, I understand the reasoning for going alternative fuel/hybrid and I think you will indeed be applauded, if I’m being honest though not sure if that’s the right one!
In saying that I really loved mine despite all that, superb drive very smooth and silent on electric. Mine was a lease by the way so none of the pain was ultimately mine !
Hope it works out

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I wish you the best in fixing your car, I had a 2014 Hybrid for two years, it was a lovely car and very quick.

These are very complex cars so I would have thought STAR is a must for anyone working on them.

I have no technical knowledge so other than verbal support I cannot help but I will follow this post with interest.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
F

Fonaspin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 HYBRID
Hi,
This car is in a repo process just too many elec and mech problems with this individual car. 5K to make 50% required VT mark on PCP ( repayments to be agreeed ). Dont know how xcess mileage will work as yet, time will tell.

Regards,

fonaspin

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hope it works out not too painfully for you - don’t be out of the marque though, they’re not all like that

OP
F

Fonaspin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 HYBRID
Hi,

Well thanks for the replies.

fonaspin

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Hi all,

So engine light on for 3days, diag from Mercedes dealership states DPF needs replaced. Two days later driving to Indo Merc mechanic ....Display message ....'Malfunction' with two amber circles .... power is lost but still driving. Car slows to crawl, I pull over stop. Car restarts and regains power for a day.

Next day same symtoms, slow power and I stop, this time no restart. Recovery required to Indo. Car will now not start at all, full battery charged. Why is the car not starting ...not even turning over?

I have had to restart the car several times with the above scenario, suspect electrics may be the issue with demanding restart of car with a DPF having failed 2days previous?

All good advice welcome.

Fonaspin
This may be a shot in the dark, but there is one of these guys who seems to know most things electrical, not just MB, he works from the old Enkalon complex, his name is Mervyn Stewart, he pointed me to a cure for a 'hunting problem' my car had, worth a try anyway.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
This might help.... maybe not.

Try looking at the pressure across the DFP as well as the particulate load. I had a lad in with a Sprinter which was showing a RED DPF Fault advising him not to pass go or collect £200 but to go straight to the dealer. The dealer was quoting a replacement in excess of £1000. When I put my iCarsoft 980 on it, there was about 0.001 BAR difference in the pressures at the front and the rear of the DPF and the particulate load was about 14%. It appears that the driver had been doing short runs and had loaded the DPF up to the point where it put a warning up on the dash. However, the DPF had simply started a regen on the first decent run and had completed it and the thing was working away goodstyle in the background with the red warning showing until the dealer replaced the DPF at £1000+ and switched the light off. He phoned me some weeks later to say that the dash warning had not come back.

That might solve one of your problems. My Kuga currently has a faulty DPF Sensor and while I'm waiting for a slot to get it replaced, the DPF is working away burning off the particulates as soon as it reaches 250 degrees and I haven't seen a particulate load in excess of 20% since it failed. All I get is an orange "Engine fault" message and the EML light.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Yes. I know. I've just arranged a date to stick it into the dealers to have the DPF Sensor and a drive shaft replaced under warranty.

The point I was making though, was that the DPFs just keep on working on their own despite throwing fault codes and dire warnings.

Top Bottom