A150 not starting

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 200 coupe kompressor auto 57 plate
Hi guys

My father in law has a 2008 a class a150 petrol automatic which does not start. Lights on the dash appear, but when turning the key the engine does not start...

Battery is fine
Tried the spare key, still no joy

Could this be a relay, starter motor or ignition issue?

Any ideas?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
If the motor is turning but it's just not firing, then the crank position sensor is a possibility. Even a simple code reader should confirm.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does this fault appeared suddenly, or was the car doing that only when hot, initially?

My A200 did that a couple of times, when [really] hot - took it to Terry at Wayne Gates to replace the starter motor.
Brilliant job and no more errors.

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Starter motor is a very common fault with 168 and 169.s..............

Is it difficult to replace? Any guide available? or guidance on how it can be done?

Last edited:
OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does this fault appeared suddenly, or was the car doing that only when hot, initially?

My A200 did that a couple of times, when [really] hot - took it to Terry at Wayne Gates to replace the starter motor.
Brilliant job and no more errors.

Yesterday first thing, it wouldn't start but 5 mins later it started fine, does this still point to the starter motor?

What did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yesterday first thing, it wouldn't start but 5 mins later it started fine, does this still point to the starter motor?

Starter motor I guess around £300 and labour 3 hours ( about right Colin?)
Are you sure the battery is ok by the way?

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Starter motor I guess around £300 and labour 3 hours ( about right Colin?)
Are you sure the battery is ok by the way?

Yep battery is definitely fine.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Easy way to test the battery is put the headlights on, and turn the ignition key to start. If the headlights go dim the battery is knackered.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Not the same pattern as mine was - it refused to start after a long [fast] drive, and I had to wait, with an open bonnet, for the engine to cool a little bit, to get it started again. At least I had a full tank LOL

The OEM starter motor is as mentioned above, plus the labour cost ...

As far as I know, there is one other possible reason - a CVT fault, which is far more serious, than a starter replacement.

There's a guide on Forrera facebook page as to how to do a test, to determine which one it is (power directly to the starter - again, if I'm not mistaken - a simple 'such-and-such wire to touch a positive terminal'.

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not the same pattern as mine was - it refused to start after a long [fast] drive, and I had to wait, with an open bonnet, for the engine to cool a little bit, to get it started again. At least I had a full tank LOL

The OEM starter motor is as mentioned above, plus the labour cost ...

As far as I know, there is one other possible reason - a CVT fault, which is far more serious, than a starter replacement.

There's a guide on Forrera facebook page as to how to do a test, to determine which one it is (power directly to the starter - again, if I'm not mistaken - a simple 'such-and-such wire to touch a positive terminal'.

Rac have come out to recover vehicle and determined it is the starter motor

Any online guide/advice on how to replace? Is it easily accessible?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In a word no- you’ll need a ramp and in that model the engine and sub frame need dropped to gain access.
Not an easy fix. I think I probably underestimated above too probably nearer 4 hours than 3. Sorry.

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In a word no- you’ll need a ramp and in that model the engine and sub frame need dropped to gain access.
Not an easy fix. I think I probably underestimated above too probably nearer 4 hours than 3. Sorry.

There's a short youtube video and bert Rowe's guidance re the job, apparently it can be done without dropping the engine and sub frame, nevertheless its still a time consuming tedious job as the starter motor is in such an awkward location!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There's a short youtube video and bert Rowe's guidance re the job, apparently it can be done without dropping the engine and sub frame, nevertheless its still a time consuming tedious job as the starter motor is in such an awkward location!
Yes, I heard about that but haven’t seen it, must have a look sometime. Thinking of having a go or indy route?

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, I heard about that but haven’t seen it, must have a look sometime. Thinking of having a go or indy route?

I think it'll have to be the indy route! as he doesn't live close by, otherwise would have given it a go.

It also appears that there's variants of the starter motor and there could be a risk that the wrong type of starter could be purchased even if purchased via merc!

So i think it would be best to take the old one out first otherwise you could end up having to do the job twice!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think it'll have to be the indy route! as he doesn't live close by, otherwise would have given it a go.

It also appears that there's variants of the starter motor and there could be a risk that the wrong type of starter could be purchased even if purchased via merc!

So i think it would be best to take the old one out first otherwise you could end up having to do the job twice!
Don’t blame you- think I’m getting too old and lazy for that nonsense these days!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom