W212 HIGH IDLE WHEN HEATER IS ON

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
hi guys
So I have been having an issue with the car idling high when the heater is on but as soon as I turn the heaters off it goes straight back to normal idling. Once fully warmed up then it's fine again but EML is lit. I did a diagnostic and The fault showing says "the power supply is too low. The signal amplitude is less than the minimum amplitude"

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Battery? Idling up would be auto response to a major current draw if the battery is low. Fault code also seems to indicate that.

Ian.
I did think it was the battery or regulator but just wanted to make sure. Thanks

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
does anyone know which battery spec i need to get and which brand is best recommended please?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You’ll get a great deal on an MB Battery and get the right one from MB Grangemouth- they just need your Reg or vin 01324 682002 quote MBO for discount...and you’ll get a nice free MB fleece blanket too at the moment !
See the ad in members area
Edit : I’ve always used telephone number 01324 686002 - I see their ad has 682002 might be a typo or alternate number

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Faster idling is also a side effect of turning on air conditioning, so there could be a possible glitch in the relationship here.

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Faster idling is also a side effect of turning on air conditioning, so there could be a possible glitch in the relationship here.
So what could be the possible cause of this?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Bad idle control valve or controller possibly. Battery change was likely necessary anyway so a good start. Don’t run ahead just yet!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if the high idle is a result of low battery voltage I would certainly change the battery first without digging any further, that is if the battery is low voltage and has a problem

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
It looks like it's the original battery and the car has done 82000 miles so I think it is most likely the culprit. Will get it changed and see what happens

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Hi guys so I just need some advice on the battery I need. I have attached the one I currently have fitted and need to know if it's AGM or standard?? And is it ok to use a AGM 1? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 21

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Varta are excellent just talk to your local batter supplier or MB may offer you a good deal

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That’s an AGM battery, Grangemouth will give you a good deal, honest! Or go to Tayna. Halfords and ECP are expensive - haven’t tried kwik fit recently

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I don't know why NO ONE is listening....

under the sticker of your AGM battery is 6 screw top lids.... unscrew and put 50ml of distilled water in each of the battery cells, put on charge for 24 hrs it will work good as new for another 5 years !!!!

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
That’s an AGM battery, Grangemouth will give you a good deal, honest! Or go to Tayna. Halfords and ECP are expensive - haven’t tried kwik fit recently
Grangemouth is a bit way out for me and need it asap as going on a road trip soon so just got a Bosch 1 from ECP for 198£

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Wow. Thought batteries were dear here in Oz. That is waaay out there. We pay about AU$160 for a similar battery here, which equates to about 100 pounds UK.

Ian.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I don't know why NO ONE is listening....

under the sticker of your AGM battery is 6 screw top lids.... unscrew and put 50ml of distilled water in each of the battery cells, put on charge for 24 hrs it will work good as new for another 5 years !!!!
Is that the sticker and caps which are vented and say ‘do not remove ‘ on them? AGM’s I understand don’t lose water so....
If you don’t get an additional quantity just right might you not have the joy of nicely watered down corrosive sulphuric acid flowing onto your battery tray? Interested as I love to save money like anyone else....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Wow. Thought batteries were dear here in Oz. That is waaay out there. We pay about AU$160 for a similar battery here, which equates to about 100 pounds UK.

Ian.
Yip Ian a real rip off
Probably the cheapest if he shopped around maybe £120 for the same spec

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Grangemouth is a bit way out for me and need it asap as going on a road trip soon so just got a Bosch 1 from ECP for 198£
They ship to you next day for £5 but glad you got it sorted

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Is that the sticker and caps which are vented and say ‘do not remove ‘ on them? AGM’s I understand don’t lose water so....
If you don’t get an additional quantity just right might you not have the joy of nicely watered down corrosive sulphuric acid flowing onto your battery tray? Interested as I love to save money like anyone else....

there is NO indication on the battery to tell you not to do this on my genuine merc AGM battery, you are worrying over NOTHING. they ONLY want you to buy a battery, there will be no acid going anywhere. It will be dry as a bone 50ml will just vanish, tip it upside down NOTHING will come out

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom