Mercedes c270 cdi tuning

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
I have just acquired a 65k mile c270 cdi wagon, I have just had a good service including aux belt water pump oil and filters, gearbox oil and filter is next, I love the car but would like to unleash the beast.
I have just bought injectors and turbo from a 2002 E320 cdi with around the same miles.
1.What exactly is required in order to fit the larger turbo? as apparently a few mods need to be done for it to fit.
2. with regards to injectors are they straight forward fit?
3. should I decat the car, both pre cat and main cat?
4. Do I need different MAP sensor and uprated fuel rail?
5. will egr delete normally come with the remap?
Thanks

Last edited:

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Hi

Have you ruled out just a stage 1 remap as these respond quite well to one.....?

OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
Hi

Have you ruled out just a stage 1 remap as these respond quite well to one.....?
I got the turbo and injectors for £200 with 65k on them, as I saw the car they were removed from, thought it was cheap, so would go the whole 320cdi route but without the 3 litre engine!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Yep swap over is simple for turbo and injectors no need really for egr delete but up to you.
I would remove the inlet manifold flaps and tap the holes and fit bolts with thread lock,
leave motor connected to stop fault codes, this modification allows for better tuning and prevents future problems with these plastic flaps being ingested or stop functioning.
Remove cat innards usually cat1 ends up in cat2 anyway and blocks the exhaust.
Upgrade brakes to drilled slotted discs and get a set of decent pads or do a front brake conversion to upgrade them.

Take it for rolling road tune up a (generic remap wont benefit the upgrades), and then hope the gear box don't jump in to limp mode.

:)

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wouldn't bother with drilled brakes as they can crack around the holes unless they are cast in holes (expensive).

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I never fit cheap braking parts when upgrading.

OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
Yep swap over is simple for turbo and injectors no need really for egr delete but up to you.
I would remove the inlet manifold flaps and tap the holes and fit bolts with thread lock,
leave motor connected to stop fault codes, this modification allows for better tuning and prevents future problems with these plastic flaps being ingested or stop functioning.
Remove cat innards usually cat1 ends up in cat2 anyway and blocks the exhaust.
Upgrade brakes to drilled slotted discs and get a set of decent pads or do a front brake conversion to upgrade them.

Take it for rolling road tune up a (generic remap wont benefit the upgrades), and then hope the gear box don't jump in to limp mode.

:)
Any idea what sort of figures the injectors and turbo with generic remap would get?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any idea what sort of figures the injectors and turbo with generic remap would get?

Generic mapping relies on standard oem parts and values for the ecu the generic remaps applied to, this then brings the stock engine alive a little by tweaking fuel and boost levels and eliminating other components if required DPF regen, EGR delete etc.
Also.......
Its all individual depending on original engine wear and compressions,
upgrade component wear and tear also has to be taken into account
that's why bespoke tunings a better way to approach it if you have used non stock parts for your engine.
Also.......
Tolerances with the injectors,Turbo, fuel rail, inter-cooler, boost pipes etc.

So no hard in stone set figure just have a RR session and go for the tune your after.

I usually go for a eco tune with a small boost at the top end,
this gives me good cruising mpg and plenty of overtake boost,
if I need to get out of trouble.

Off the line speeds not important for me any more,
We have an old track day BMW M5 to suppress my public highway urges.

PS: I'm interested in your old injectors if you're selling them :)

Last edited:
OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
Generic mapping relies on standard oem parts and values for the ecu the generic remaps applied to, this then brings the stock engine alive a little by tweaking fuel and boost levels and eliminating other components if required DPF regen, EGR delete etc.
Also.......
Its all individual depending on original engine wear and compressions,
upgrade component wear and tear also has to be taken into account
that's why bespoke tunings a better way to approach it if you have used non stock parts for your engine.
Also.......
Tolerances with the injectors,Turbo, fuel rail, inter-cooler, boost pipes etc.

So no hard in stone set figure just have a RR session and go for the tune your after.

I usually go for a eco tune with a small boost at the top end,
this gives me good cruising mpg and plenty of overtake boost,
if I need to get out of trouble.

Off the line speeds not important for me any more,
We have an old track day BMW M5 to suppress my public highway urges.

PS: I'm interested in your old injectors if you're selling them :)
The injectors and turbo arrived, sent them back, the injectors were covered in black death and the turbo had play, so bought a tunit tuning box, good bit of difference, actually drives smoother than before with it fitted, looking for nice wheels now

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have fun covering the road in black exhaust crap then
especially at night with those tuning boxes.

It sits on the end of the common rail and dumps extra fuel in.

OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
Have fun covering the road in black exhaust crap then
especially at night with those tuning boxes.

It sits on the end of the common rail and dumps extra fuel in.
No smoke, day or night, I am sure the cheapy tuning boxes would, but tunit do half decent ones

OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
UPDATE.
Well bit the bullet and got a remap (Westheath you were correct), it is like night and day compared to the tuning box.
I was getting intermittent cutting out on full power whilst overtaking which was scary.
I had the car diagnosed as fuel rail pressure too high, but I only noticed the cutting out since the fuel filter was changed to a non Mercedes filter, had a OEM one fitted and now it seems to be sorted
gearbox oil was flushed and changed
new water pump and thermostat
full service
discs and pads.
night breaker bulbs
Bought a set of refurbed AMG R170 alloys with polished lips, will wait to the better weather to fit them.
One question though, if I was to do a gearbox reset, will this affect the remap?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You mean an adaptive reset? If so no I shouldn’t think so but check with the folks who did the map to be certain

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A proper remap will always be better than an add-on box.
A gearbox reset will not affect the map.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
As above the 270 responds well to a remap, and yep the adaption reset doesn't make any difference to the map

OP
D

dubburke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c270 cdi
Can anyone recommend an upgraded intercooler, that will fit with a minimum of modification, also, do the 320cdi in line injectors flow more fuel than the 270 cdi ones?
I have bought the larger 320 cdi turbo from ebay, and is away for a overhaul, what boost can this turbo manage without issues on a daily basis?
Thanks

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
And I always thought my 270 with a remap was fast enough and totally trouble-free, apart from the occasional leaking injector seal.
They were a real torquey engine with excellent economy.
Miss mine

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom