Could You Change a Car Battery?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Westheath - the tales of utter neglect and total idiocy I witnessed while I did my part time stint on that base still amaze me many decades later.

No telling what any previous owner did to the car by way of maintenance of course - if there was a previous owner. Most of these guys bought new with special concessions through the PX.

As a raw student my overriding thought was, 'We rely on these guys!'

I'm not so green today.

Last edited:

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Can swap out a battery in 5 mins..... unless it's a '94 Renault espace V6 (air ducting, loosen headlamp, rotate battery 90 degs to lift out)

Today swapped the brake pads on wife's Suzuki Swift 20min per side. :)

BClassChris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDI (2009)
Thank goodness I still have Mobilo! Although there's probably some small print that excludes batteries....

What is this Mobilo - Dumb ass question I probably know but my car is second hand because as much as id love a new merc i cant afford one. What is it supposed to do the paperwork is with the car for it but dont really know what it does etc is it like AA

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Is it worth dropping my AA and going Mobilo or is one just as good as the other

PS my AA is Platinum membership

I don't know the ins and outs of it as I'd use my Caravan Clubs Mayday .... these free recovery services never provide cover for caravan break downs

BClassChris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDI (2009)
I don't know the ins and outs of it as I'd use my Caravan Clubs Mayday .... these free recovery services never provide cover for caravan break downs
fair enough

im sure someone will be along shortly to try and sell it to me no doubt my local MB dealership

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Having experienced a rather vehicularly- traumatic breakdown (wheel coming off on the M1) I would only ever recommend the RAC or AA. Within two hours the RAC had sent out a low loader, got us home and dropped the car off at the offending garage.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Having experienced a rather vehicularly- traumatic breakdown (wheel coming off on the M1) I would only ever recommend the RAC or AA. Within two hours the RAC had sent out a low loader, got us home and dropped the car off at the offending garage.

Blimey Craig, that's not very nice.
- I take it you and family all okay?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Blimey Craig, that's not very nice.
- I take it you and family all okay?
This was ages ago, our first trip out in the CL! We were all fine, little’un slept through it! Turned out our then local garage hadn’t torqued up the bolts on both rear wheels..!!!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
This was ages ago, our first trip out in the CL! We were all fine, little’un slept through it! Turned out our then local garage hadn’t torqued up the bolts on both rear wheels..!!!

Had a shiver then. Years ago we were half way down towards the south west coast of France in a one year old Cortina Estate that I'd taken in for service the day before we left. With the windows open, I kept hearing a funny "creaking" noise. We stopped for a "comfort" stop and I walked around the car and for some reason, I put my fingers around the offside rear wheel nuts. On that wheel, they were all just finger tight... That's a horrible "what if" but happily I lived to "reason" with the garage!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah, I’d collected this from a £1900 service the day beforehand. It kept feeling “squirrelly” at the rear end as we drove along... no wonder!!!

lasa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class estate E212/ 2012/E220
Just read all of these posts, so happens I ordered a power saver that plugs into the OBD port.

I could change the battery another way using croc clips from charger\spare battery etc, the OBD plug method seems to be a more efficient method, well I hope it proves to be.

The OBD plug item is on its way from China as we speak, probably have a flat battery by the time it gets here :p.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom