Intelligent light system inoperative

Jim Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63S
54EEA147-B5BF-45B9-9D56-44ACF1B857E1.jpeg 7B2F34BE-8C6B-470B-98B5-63C4C770BCDC.jpeg Hi Guys,
I had the same issue as the subject thread and have resolved it but not 100% sure what did it!
I started the car this morning and got the same message. Did the usual switch off and on again, no difference.
Went to the vehicle menu in the Centre of the instrument cluster where the message was displayed and tried to switch the ILS off and on again with the vehicle running, still no luck. Turned off, locked and unlocked the car, then went to the vehicle lights settings, switched the ILS off and then on again and the problem resolved. Note that this time the vehicle was NOT running.
The other thing I did (but I’m sure is irrelevant) was to adjust the bonnet (or hood if your American) rubber stops at the front of the car. When I polished the engine bay (because I’m sad and have no life) the rubber adjusters at the front must of moved and I could see with the bonnet closed one side was slightly higher than the other. As I say this may be completely irrelevant, however I’m not sure if there is a sensor or anything that would prevent the system from operating correctly, perhaps getting too much light? It’s not logical and far more likely to be the switch off and on again that did the trick. But sometimes the least likely option could be the one. Perhaps even the closing of the bonnet jolted something into action again???!!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
How frosted up was your windscreen this morning?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
View attachment 41447 View attachment 41448 Hi Guys,
I had the same issue as the subject thread and have resolved it but not 100% sure what did it!
I started the car this morning and got the same message. Did the usual switch off and on again, no difference.
Went to the vehicle menu in the Centre of the instrument cluster where the message was displayed and tried to switch the ILS off and on again with the vehicle running, still no luck. Turned off, locked and unlocked the car, then went to the vehicle lights settings, switched the ILS off and then on again and the problem resolved. Note that this time the vehicle was NOT running.
The other thing I did (but I’m sure is irrelevant) was to adjust the bonnet (or hood if your American) rubber stops at the front of the car. When I polished the engine bay (because I’m sad and have no life) the rubber adjusters at the front must of moved and I could see with the bonnet closed one side was slightly higher than the other. As I say this may be completely irrelevant, however I’m not sure if there is a sensor or anything that would prevent the system from operating correctly, perhaps getting too much light? It’s not logical and far more likely to be the switch off and on again that did the trick. But sometimes the least likely option could be the one. Perhaps even the closing of the bonnet jolted something into action again???!!!
Welcome Jim, it’s a Mercedes we don’t expect logical! Nice car we need pics...but I couldn’t help but notice you have a green ‘C’ in your display- please explain it’s function to me, I have no earthly idea..:p

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Welcome Jim, it’s a Mercedes we don’t expect logical! Nice car we need pics...but I couldn’t help but notice you have a green ‘C’ in your display- please explain it’s function to me, I have no earthly idea..:p
Wife Mode John......

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I get you, if it was frosty white it may switch off being fooled into thinking it was light? That what you mean?

The ILS is controlled by a very-high-speed camera mounted behind the interior mirror trim. if that camera cannot see properly through its full field of vision it will shut the system down until it can see properly. When this happened to me late last year, I was ten minutes down the road until the engine had warmed up enough to get enough warm air on the windscreen to defrost it up at the top.

What you describe would affect the rainlight sensor which is why the advice is to turn off auto wipers when shutting down the car, to prevent them sweeping over a frozen windscreen (or trying to sweep when frozen to the windscreen).

AureliusE280

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.0 v6
Hey guys.

I dont want to make a new topic, because my problem is same with ILS.
The car is s211 2007year.
Sometimes i get that fault on my dash, sometimes not. I own star diagnostic, but couldnt find something associated with ILS to diagnose.
When i get the fault on dash, left side low beam dipps for no reason. I turn light switch and left low beam is on again and if I wont restart my car ILS fault wont be gone, after restart all fine until i get the fault again. So the question is, do I have to change whole left headlight or there is somekind of sensor of ILS that got faulty.?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes, i get the fault ILS Inoperative. I didnt take a picture of it. But im not sure how to solve it.
I stand ‘educated’ - apparently mid 2006 saw the option of ILS!
I wonder if that headlamp has had a knock at some point ?

AureliusE280

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.0 v6
I stand ‘educated’ - apparently mid 2006 saw the option of ILS!
I wonder if that headlamp has had a knock at some point ?

Well im not sure. I own this car only for 2 years. Maybe previous owner had a little crash or something, because right side headlight was changed but adaptation was not made. But all adaptations were made after i bought it. Anyway, right side is all ok, the faulty one is the left side, which is mysterious. Do you know, is there an option in STAR to check ILS system? Bcs i couldnt find it

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well im not sure. I own this car only for 2 years. Maybe previous owner had a little crash or something, because right side headlight was changed but adaptation was not made. But all adaptations were made after i bought it. Anyway, right side is all ok, the faulty one is the left side, which is mysterious. Do you know, is there an option in STAR to check ILS system? Bcs i couldnt find it

It's probably part of another module. Try the SAM

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom